Long game...Straight down the fairway, everytime>>>

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by handtrix, Apr 12, 2015.

1. handtrix

handtrix Member

With Golf season here, people want to improve on their game every year. Many areas to cover, but one that is the most overlooked.
    I am a hack, but I can offer a solid piece of advice that gives you an advantage so "You got game".

Playing hockey & baseball helped my physical (long) game, of course, but my short game goes like "par 7, 8, 9... IOW I need lots of miniature golf practice for the green, but it's the T'off that really gets to a players anxiety. You want to hit that ball true and straight.

It is only after you have incorporated this and done what you're supposed to; you have reduced your chances of a stray ball, and are able to get on the green by less than par.

(Do you play darts? It can be used here as well.)

As a former Marksmanship Training Instructor, I wish to see you all having fun improving your long game this season. For better competitions amongst friends. You can take this with you to the Professioanal Arena with confidence & without fail.

Natural Body Alignment.

2. handtrix

handtrix Member

It's O.K.

Nothing to be embarrassed about TGP. Lot's of people do not know what that is, or how to incorporate into their game.

3. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Are you going to explain further and how to apply it to my golf game. I was interested in what you had to say and how you'd applied it to your game but your post concluded.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

After many lessons, countless hours on the range practicing, a couple of rounds per week, I could never get below high 80s.

One day, due to my poor long iron game, frustration got the best of me and I snapped a long iron over my knee. Gave up golf and haven't gone back since.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  5. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I think all one really has to do is hit it on the right line at the right speed and trajectory. Same with putting. Just do that and you'll be fine.

6. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I'm moving to a new house that is about a quarter of a mile away from a golf course and it scares me that I might consider taking golf back up again... temptation is low right now.. last thing I need to do is start a bad habit like golf again.. the money I've thrown away on hitting balls into the woods... and then being pissed off...

7. handtrix

handtrix Member

***Yes. there is a way !

I will try to explain or to convey this idea or approach so you are able to spot and correct your drives off the T,
    improving your swing & game.

When you think you are ready for that final swing after all your calibrations and all calculations prior to your T-off, STOP!

-Place your club head directly behind the ball.
    -Now, close your eyes taking the last snapshot for your memory.
    -Still keeping your stance with the club in hand, take the club away and off the ball.
    -In a non exaggerated fashion, move your body purposely around and about; coming back to the up position.
    -With your eyes still closed, and working from memory, place your club head back where you think your last recollection was...

Open your eyes and look at the position of your club face to the ball.
    99.9% of the time you will be off square. The club face in relation to the ball will now be at an off angle.

-Keep that position, frozen!
    -Move only your back leg to adjust your linear greeting until you are back square on the ball.

-Now compensated, repeat your greeting, placing the club face behind the ball again.
    -Repeat the process of taking a final snapshot, closing eyes, purposely moving your body coming to the up position, and then back down, greeting the ball on your last recollection. Then open your eyes.
    You should be right back on ! If not, it should be nothing but a micro adjustment with the back leg.
    Your able to take your normal full swing, but now with much consistency, confidence and success !

I mentioned darts.
    This can also help your game as well.
    The example above shows how important Natural Body Alignment is in many sports and why Pro's take advantage of this hidden technique:
    This example will instantly show it's importance.

-Pick a distant object or target.
    -Like Picasso, use your thumb in the up position and bullseye that target.
    -When you think you have it accurately in your sights, close your eyes and take that last mental snapshot.
    -Now standing there with your eyes closed and arm extended like a rifle, purposely move your body about.
    -Come back to the mental snapshot. Open your eyes.
    -You will be off once again so move that back leg, keeping your arm still & extended, moving back onto the target or bullseye.
    -Take that mental snapshot once again and close your eyes.
    -Move about.
    -Open your eyes and come back to your Natural Body Alignment : BULLSEYE !

Hope to see you on the green for a cold one telling me how you shaved points!

8. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

Before I hit from the tee box or the fairway, i stand behind the ball and sight my line.
    Then I pick a spot ten feet in front of me ( a divot, , dark spot, whatever) then I align myself parallel to that spot.
    I take a slow backswing with a slight pause at the top (lets the club head catch up to your hands, especially important on longer clubs).
    Then I swing to the spot that I previously spotted.

But even with proper alignment, you gotta turn your hips through the ball. No sliding back and forth. No rocking back to get a "little more". Controlled fluidity.

9. Doodad

Doodad Member

What if it is a dogleg? Straight and true into the bunker guarding the turn.:boxer

10. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I just wear my Skechers and pick the tee up as soon as I hit the ball. Dead center, every time.

11. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I've found a great deal more consistency since I found the right tee height and stopped trying to make a technically correct swing. Good stance, good grip, swing through the core.

I tried the pause at the changeover and hated it. I felt like a tennis player that's come up with some mental, multi-step action on the training court and it's now gone to **** on the court.

My short game on the last few rounds has required I take a month out lest I throw my bag in the lake. Of petrol. And light it. With a neutron bomb.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

My short game on the last few rounds has required I take a month out lest I throw my bag in the lake. Of petrol. And light it. With a neutron bomb. :spit

13. handtrix

handtrix Member

Excellent point in contrast to.
    Most would think that proper alignment would be natural body alignment. Thinking after all you have physically done to prepare for your swing. - How your gripping. The pitch. Where the ball will lie, and so on... All these calculation's to take your best shot, but not setting up your follow through. You have compromised your natural body alignment to be forced. IOW you are forcing your proper alignment with no consideration for the actual execution of going through your swing and making the absolute best contact possible; even with all your... personal rituals.

It is important to continually practice & improve upon these personal rituals. It could also mean to take away any bad habits if you truly wish to improve upon your skills and love of the game no matter what caliber or bracket of golfer you think you are. Perhaps looking at it in a musical sense, where you can put in or take out frequencies to make a tone sound good.

Next week you will come back to this thread and attest to this hidden technique that Pros incorporate. Yet, is in each and every one of you... Ask why have clubs custom fit only to stop short of your potential using them ?
    The Pros obviously are in a more accelerated process and level of strategic thinking to give them the most advantage to play their best game.

Equip yourself with knowledge to physically play at your best !

14. Lava Lamp

Lava Lamp Member

Using your marksmanship reference, I qualify thus:

Rifle - Expert
    Driver - Bolo

15. RLD

RLD Member

I don't think Pros use the technique you described.
    The vast majority of pro swings are very similar with their feet aligned parallel to their target line.

16. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

sorry man, I wish it were that simple but it's not.

alignment is definitely one part of the equation, but the physics of what's happening at impact is ultimately the determining factor. As Nicklaus has said for years, if not decades, the clubhead must be delivered square (90 deg) to the line of flight and must be traveling down that line for the ball to go straight.

Alignment is part of that equation, but so is ball position, a steady head, correct sequence of the downswing, and maybe most important, proper release of the clubhead.

IMHO, and in my experience, an incorrect release plagues high-handicappers more than any other fault. Of course, a good release is a function of a steady head and correct downswing sequence, but it also contains its own mechanical fundamentals.

If most golfers would move the ball back in their stance and learn to release the club correctly--door opens/door closes--they would be 90% of the way toward hitting longer and straighter tee shots.

17. handtrix

handtrix Member

Okay, this is a good way of thinking.
    I agree with you as I have posted on the previous page, that it is important to continually practice & improve upon one's fundementals...
    You also mention the Niclaus quote with the clubhead squared, as I also mentioned that in relation to the ball - when saying to adjust your linear greeting until you are back square on the ball.

Understand this is not something that is obvious, and is by no means the end-all cure-all. Or the all-in-one technique and that not all Pros do it. Just like anybody that has developed their own skill to master a certain area of their game. This is not a short cut for anything. It is something that is not obvious and in plain site or thought.
    Even if you did do exactly what I have described to do to improve upon this skill, I am not holding your club. These are decisions for the level of competition you desire.

Utilizing natural body alignment with proper body alignment and proper form you have decreased your chance of pulling a ball and increased the potential of all your skills ... when you need to apply them.

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Are you saying one should align one's swing plane to strike the ball squarely even though one's swing plane may not be in conventional alignment?

Personally, I think an inconsistent swing is a far more serious and common problem, although if one actually has a consistent swing, that does not hit the ball well, bringing that swing into physical alignment with the desired target line is making the best of it.

19. Bankston

Bankston Member

I try not to be "that guy." You know, the one who likes to give "tips" to his playing partners, then sprays it everywhere.

The game sure gets easier when you hit fairways and greens, no matter how long you hit it.

And hitting it "straight" is misleading, since the best players can work the ball at will.

What cut my handicap down to a 10 is improving my short game.

20. hellbender

hellbender Member

Simply because the tee shot requires the most ferocious effort of all the shots in golf, players are stymied trying to hit a long ball right out of the gate. It takes discipline and restraint but maintaining form with a purposely quieter tee shot and keeping the ball in front of you, will net you lower scores.