long lasting,hardy, quality guitar cable

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

i am looking for a quality guitar cable but what's more important is one that will endure the many times i step on them......

so it's a good cable i'm after that can take the knocks,any ideas?

2. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I will read subsequent posts with great interest. I'm still using a Belden cable I got nearly 30 years ago (and it's stood up to a lot of abuse and continues to function, flawlessly).

3. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

seriously...not blowing smoke or trying to start a flame-war (like people can do on here over ANYthing...hahaha), BUT...George L's...by far the most road-worthy and long-lasting that i've used...

i thought for a long time that they would be weak or easily-damaged b/c of the solder-free connections...nope...best money i've ever spent on cables! some of my old red ones LOOK pretty nasty after dragging across some of the joints they've seen, but they work flawlessly!

4. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Lava soar seems pretty hardy. Will know more in a couple of years.

5. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

anything with switchcraft jacks. i've been using the TWO EXACT SAME cables for over 15 years (guitar to pedalboard & pedalboard to amp). I'm not sure who makes the cable itself, but i wouldn't trust anything less than switchcraft jacks. they've taken 15 years of hard abuse and work better than anything i've ever heard.

6. eric10

eric10 Member

7. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Spectraflex are the most durably constructed cables I know of. They are also cool looking, reasonably priced and snakeoil free.

n

8. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Lava Clear Connect.

9. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

The first 10 years or so that I was playing guitar & just easing into the beer drankin/bar giggin world... the few Spectraflex cables I had received ZERO special treatment & gave me ZERO issues in return. I've been using the same custom-made Canare GS-6 / Switchcraft cables by Butch @ Bayou Cables for the last 5 years. I handle these much nicer, but still get ZERO issues.

I've used some Planet Waves cables too... my best advice -- buy a cable with a lifetime warranty from a local shop/dealer. Get issues, walk in & walk out with new cable.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i've had a couple of dimarzios for over 10. . . maybe 15 years.

just got a couple of lava magmas. get back to you in another 10 or so. . .. .

11. hivedestruction

hivedestruction Member

If you can solder at all, I'd highly suggest making your own. I've been using G&H Plugs with Mogami cable for probably about 6-7 years now with no issues (for both patch and instrument cables).

12. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

As much as I love playing Canare+Switchcraft, there's nothing more durable than the Whirlwind leader.

I've been using the same one at all of my acoustic gigs for over 18 years.

[​IMG]

13. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Love my Lava Soar. But due to the solid core design, I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for Durability. (haven't had one fail yet....but solid core isn't the best solution for someone that "abuses" cables).

They make other cables I'd expect to have better durability.

They UltraMafic feels very robust (though Silver is softer than copper, so I'm not sure if that will be a concern over time).

+1 on the Whirlwind Leader. Those things can take a beating. Though I vastly prefer the sound of some of Lava's offerings.

14. vanguard

vanguard Member

the mogami's you get at GC for around $60 are really high-quality, and you can just swap them for a new ones if anything ever goes wrong. Fulltone's golds are also really sturdy and have great fidelity. i won't spend more than $50-ish on a cable so that's all i got.

15. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

Yep, I have a (red) George L's that I've been using for literally for decades, never a single problem.

16. cantineboy

cantineboy Member

This, I been using mine 15-16 years. Gigging out regulary 5-6 of those years always rehearsing at least 5h/week.

17. electrical

electrical Member

18. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

DiMarzio gets my vote too.

19. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

you know i would be considering the DIMARZIO right now if they only came with the right angle option....they don't it would appear

20. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Nothing but love for Armour Gold. Read a ton of reviews before I bought expensive cables and these seemed the best especially in a cost/quality/tone analysis. I have gigged with them 4 years and no problems at all.

http://www.armorgoldcables.com/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]