Long long long. . .sustain and 15 inches

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lareplus, Feb 8, 2012.

1. lareplus

lareplus Member

What speaker that is 15" has really good sustain. Some don't I have found, but I want one that has. .

2. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Jeopardy response...

"Who is John Holmes?"

3. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

The speaker has nothing to do with it.

Find the knob on your amp labled "volume", turn it all the way up and stand close to the amp while you're playing. You'll have plenty of sustain.

4. kimock

kimock Member

They all have the potential to sustain more than a smaller speaker, it's just a question of how true the frame is.
    If the frame is even a fraction of a degree out of round the speaker won't sustain to it's potential.
    Nobody uses 15's anymore so it's kind of a lost art getting them perfectly true, particularly if they've been warped on assembly previously.

Lucky for you I am one of the world's foremost authorities on squaring round things and am willing to sell you a PERFECT raw frame, guaranteed to sustain if properly reconed and installed for only $650.00 dollars.
    Matched pairs for $1,500.00.

This deal won't last!!

5. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a vintage Altec 418B with the original cone. The thing sustains forever, more than the D130s I've owned. Admittedly, I never found a good D130 (still looking), so the comparison is flawed.

6. lareplus

lareplus Member

people have commented that the Big Ben does NOT have much sustain for example.

while some 12" speakers such as the Wizard and the Swamp Thing are said by Emi to have good sustain. . .other companies don't even mention that quality.

10 inch speakers don't generally seem to have much sustain.

But I like a full deep tone and wonder if there is a possibility. .

7. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

HA!

Lucky for me that tone is in the fingers..........

8. LarryN

LarryN Member

Re: Altec 418B, these guys list one:

http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=altec

I've dealt with them and like 'em. Never mind. Edit - See Kimock's post further down.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  9. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I haven't played through a 15" speaker in years. I have two old Jensen C15L's that I'd like to try some time. One is original cone and one is dead. I have several amps I'd like to try one with. These old C15L's are from the 60's and are heavy.

10. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I peeked at this thread earlier, and am coming back to it now, still feeling like :huh :huh

Does one really look to the speaker choice for sustain? I can understand if some speakers resonate more than others, under certain conditions (cab shape, amp circuit and settings, room), with certain guitars. But that is so... specific - no one could tell you that; you'd have to find it by experimentation. Then it would change.

I thought sustain came from the guitar, and from playing technique. There is compression from the amp, which can help support sustain, and greater overdrive and volume will provide feedback. But... a speaker that sustained doesn't seem like it would be very accurate in its response to your playing.

I'm still in the :huh :huh :huh zone on this topic*

- Thom

*even after trying several 15" speaker options, over the years, and settling on an Altec 418B for my Victoria Regal II.

11. kimock

kimock Member

Hi Larry.
    Those guys ripped me off hard on a JBL D130, so I'm gonna have to do the caveat emptor routine here and urge folks to purchase protect themselves in whatever way possible when dealing with vintage speakers.

They advertised an original cone, 16 ohm D130, for a pretty hefty price, but that's a rare speaker, and I wanted one.

I called them up and said:
    "Could you please go get that speaker off the shelf and hold it up to the light and inspect the surround, I have not seen an intact original cloth surround on an original cone D130 in years. They rot. If the surround is intact could you please measure it to make sure it's really 16 ohms? Most of them are 8, labeled 8 or 16."

They said "Sure, hang on."

The guy comes back and says, "Yep, 16 ohms"

I says "How's the surround?"

He says "perfect".

The bastard sent me an 8 ohm JBL D130 with a completely detached surround. It was not connected to the cone anywhere.

I called back and said "Hey. . "

They said, "Sorry, all sales final."

I said "Ok, f*ck you too, I buy lots of speakers, I'll buy 'em somewhere else"

So I do!

Anyway, watch out for those guys. Only business on Earth in this life that I've had any issue with.
    You'll notice those guys don't do email, and it's cash, check, or money order.
    My dumb ass sent 'em a money order, and without the email it's he said, she said.
    They took my money and laughed at me.:bonk

12. kimock

kimock Member

No, of course not. The speaker does whatever the amp tells it to do, and the amp is just trying to keep up with the string. If the string stops, the speaker stops.

It's just silliness, internet kids. . .:munch

13. LarryN

LarryN Member

Ouch! Thanks for the heads up. It's been a while since I've dealt with them. Glad you posted this.

14. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

Because of output phase of your amp you may or may not want the speakers wired in reverse phase to increase the ability of you amp to feedback.

Some amps have an out-of-phase output from the input, and some have an output that is in-phase with the input. I forget which sounds like which, but they both feedback different ways and one of them mostly feeds back with the fundamental, and is easier to control/get from the amp easily, but also keep from feeding back when you don't want it to.

I say just reverse the wires that are going to your speaker(s), and see how it sounds then. If you don't like it switch them back...you're not going go hurt anything.

The only way a speaker can increase sustain is through feedback, and I guess it may be possible for a reverse phase signal to stop the string from ringing earlier than it should (don't know much about phase in acoustics), but I don't think this happens in practice.

15. kimock

kimock Member

Live and learn my old friend. That was an easier lesson than most!:omg

16. LarryN

LarryN Member

I am sorry to hear that.

Hey, what about the phase thing and feedback?