Long question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SmoothFall, Oct 18, 2008.

1. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

short answer: xlr out uses a mic cable, 1/4" out uses a 1/4" unbalanced signal cable. run them wherever you want.

3. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

k, well... the xlr is supposed to be a direct out that can be run to a recording studio. The only problem is, the only other input I have on my recording stuido is a 1/4 inch. I don't think they make cables that are xlr and 1/4 inch without the mic input on it. Basically, I wouldn't be able to use the direct out on my preamp, I would halfto use the one on my multi-effects pedal....

4. walterw

ok, you've lost me a little there. if all you have is a 1/4" input, use the 1/4" output from the sansamp.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

And for what it's worth, they do make XLR to balanced 1/4" cables to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

6. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

Yes, just play... and don't forget, do not mic a bass amp, you will end up with a load of mud in your lap when your not looking fromG bass.

D.I from the preamp, let it be written in stone!

7. walterw

no way, man! a good bass amp dialed in right, especially with 10" speakers, mic'ed with something that can get the low end (like a kick or floor tom mic), can sound great, often better than the DI sound. the added compression, frequency narrowing and coloration from the speaker can make the bass sit better in the mix.

mic the cabinet, let it be written in jello pudding!

8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Funny how when you read a post, and think;

"....jeez, that's just what I was thinking..."