long technical question for techs!! want to use small amp to drive big amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by shane, Mar 13, 2005.

1. shane

shane Member

Hi, I took my 5 watt kalamazoo amp and hooked a speaker cable straight off of the amp and ran it into the input on my carr amp.

i know this is dangerous but the overdrive coming out of the carr was unbelievable!!!

Is there a safe and easy way to do this and switch the small amp in and out like a distortion pedal?

I know the obvious is to get a line out put on the kalamazoo but I think the magic is that I am using the Entire amp as a preamp and want the power tubes working in there too. Thanks!

2. shane

shane Member

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The only safe way to do this (for the Kalamzoo) is to either leave the speaker connected or connect a "dummy load" (same resistance as the speaker, 10 watt resistor minimum).

Some of the "great distortion" you're hearing may be from severely overloading the input of the carr amp. Not sure if this is safe for the Carr or not.

For safety, ideally you'd want to connect a resistive voltage divider across your load (speaker or dummy load) and take your signal to the Carr from across the smaller of the 2 resistors in the divider. A rough idea of resistor values is 22K and 1K. You'll have to experiment though.

To switch the Kalamzoo in and out, use a "looper" box similar to what Keeley sells.

4. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

what about putting an attenuater in between the amps? might lose some of that "magic", i dunno, something you'd have to try yourself really

5. shane

shane Member

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, this would be the more expensive approach. An attenuator with "dummy load" function with a line out would be perfect.