• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Long term users of Ceriatone King Kong... happy?

OiRogers

I've been eyeing the King Kong 100 of late after deciding I need some older Marshall in my sound but want to have options for newer era crunch and higher gain... I have a DSL50 and some Traynors and Orange that come close, but I'm looking for more.

I had thought of a vintage JMP or JTM or clone of such, but I found the Yeti seems to cover the ground I'd like... then I saw the King Kong and it appears to be a Yeti and cleanish-Plexi channel switcher which might cover 95% of the ground I could ever want.

I've seen a few reviews here that have been generally positive... anyone have input from having one for a while? Are you able to dial in older Marshall sounds (JTM/JMP era ?) through the JCM800's and into higher gain?... does it lack or excel in any particular area? Any other thoughts or input on the King Kong head?

Looking to add a head to the collection, not going to be parting ways with any of my current amps.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
I've been eyeing the King Kong 100 of late after deciding I need some older Marshall in my sound but want to have options for newer era crunch and higher gain... I have a DSL50 and some Traynors and Orange that come close, but I'm looking for more.

I had thought of a vintage JMP or JTM or clone of such, but I found the Yeti seems to cover the ground I'd like... then I saw the King Kong and it appears to be a Yeti and cleanish-Plexi channel switcher which might cover 95% of the ground I could ever want.

I've seen a few reviews here that have been generally positive... anyone have input from having one for a while? Are you able to dial in older Marshall sounds (JTM/JMP era ?) through the JCM800's and into higher gain?... does it lack or excel in any particular area? Any other thoughts or input on the King Kong head?

Looking to add a head to the collection, not going to be parting ways with any of my current amps.
Bump. Also curious.

PCalugaru

I couldn't have that many amps so close in tone, performance and application... there all high gain class a/b amps.

I guess people really do struggle with choices

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have but I do have a Yeti and it's a killer amp. It'll go from crystal clear loud cleans to roaring Marshall on steroids. The cleans are great too.

It's kind of like having all the eras of Marshall available in one amp. The KK is interesting in that you have the channel switching. I'm sure it's a beast of an amp and very high quality.

BADHAK

I had a Yeti 100, and while I thought it did a great modern high gain or hair metal tone, I didn't think the vintage Marshall tones were that good. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as my 79, 80, and 82 2203's , or even my Ceriatone 2203.

IMO a 2203/4 , a boost, and a LP that will clean up great is the choice for an rig that will cop the classic Marshall tones and also hang with modern amps.

OiRogers

I couldn't have that many amps so close in tone, performance and application... there all high gain class a/b amps.

I guess people really do struggle with choices
Or... maybe I just work hard and save money and buy things that make me smile.
I have a pile of Fender amps as well from Champ through Twin Reverbs... got a Dumble clone sitting around as well.
I also have several guitars... many with similar P/ups... guess I 'struggle' there too eh?

I don't struggle with choices, I like variety... but carry on.

OiRogers

I had a Yeti 100, and while I thought it did a great modern high gain or hair metal tone, I didn't think the vintage Marshall tones were that good. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as my 79, 80, and 82 2203's , or even my Ceriatone 2203.

IMO a 2203/4 , a boost, and a LP that will clean up great is the choice for an rig that will cop the classic Marshall tones and also hang with modern amps.
Did it struggle with the 'vintage' tones because it was wired to also handle the more modern end you think?
I'd guess it's a 'good at a lot of things, master of none' type situation in your opinion?

In the end, I'd want more of the JTM/Plexi tones rather than the 2203/4 stuff... I can cover 2203 pretty solidly already.

Perhaps I need to keep looking.

OiRogers

I don't have but I do have a Yeti and it's a killer amp. It'll go from crystal clear loud cleans to roaring Marshall on steroids. The cleans are great too.

It's kind of like having all the eras of Marshall available in one amp. The KK is interesting in that you have the channel switching. I'm sure it's a beast of an amp and very high quality.
Badhak mentioned that the vintage era tones were lacking, do you find this to be the case? Mainly i'm looking to cover the JTM/Plexi/Early JMP tones... late JMP and beyond I can dial in pretty easily already.

The Yeti is also on my list of possibilities, but a 2nd channel for just a few bucks more and the KK caught my eye.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Badhak mentioned that the vintage era tones were lacking, do you find this to be the case? Mainly i'm looking to cover the JTM/Plexi/Early JMP tones... late JMP and beyond I can dial in pretty easily already.

The Yeti is also on my list of possibilities, but a 2nd channel for just a few bucks more and the KK caught my eye.
You say you have the later stuff covered. Why not just get a JTM 45 from Ceriatone? They make great one and the price is right.
I love ALL the tones I get out of the Yeti. To be sure at its core though is a JMP base. It's a killer amp. Just don't know if I'd get one for JTM 45 stuff. Did you contact Nik? If not, I'd do so. He is awesome and will point you in the direction you are looking for.

OiRogers

You say you have the later stuff covered. Why not just get a JTM 45 from Ceriatone? They make great one and the price is right.
I love ALL the tones I get out of the Yeti. To be sure at its core though is a JMP base. It's a killer amp. Just don't know if I'd get one for JTM 45 stuff. Did you contact Nik? If not, I'd do so. He is awesome and will point you in the direction you are looking for.
That is a thought I've had... A nice JTM45 would probably do most of what I'd want. I can always swap to my Rockerverb if I need more crunch.
I've been pondering a JTM45 build for a winter project, a kit isn't that steep.

I've been in touch with Nik off and on, he is always very helpful.

BADHAK

Did it struggle with the 'vintage' tones because it was wired to also handle the more modern end you think?
I'd guess it's a 'good at a lot of things, master of none' type situation in your opinion?

In the end, I'd want more of the JTM/Plexi tones rather than the 2203/4 stuff... I can cover 2203 pretty solidly already.

Perhaps I need to keep looking.
That's probably the case. I've also had a 74 Superlead and while the Yeti cleans were close, there was a hint of compression that was hard to dial out. The 74 cleans were spanky. I also had a 98 Superlead with a PPIMV and the hard rock tones on that were really close to the Yeti but with the 98 I could just plug into the bottom left input and the tone was instant 60's / early 70's classic rock. Sort of going from VH to Zep. The Yeti would require a fair bit of tweaking.

But when the Yeti was dialed in for late 80's hair metal and onwards, the whole pissed of aggressiveness and massive bottom end came together and was undeniable.

Maybe the Plexi channel on the King Kong addresses these issues, but from my experience, if you want a certain tone, go to the source and keep it simple.

OiRogers

I'd look into a Splawn Quick Rod.
Only played through one of those once... and it was with an RG superstrat of some sort (not mine, or anything like what I'm used to), it certainly did hot-rodded Marshall well, but I didn't care for the cleans. May have been the guitar more than the amp. I should try one out again.

BrokenRomeo

Only played through one of those once... and it was with an RG superstrat of some sort (not mine, or anything like what I'm used to), it certainly did hot-rodded Marshall well, but I didn't care for the cleans. May have been the guitar more than the amp. I should try one out again.
The newer Quick Rods, after 2013 I think, have much improved clean channels...the clean on mine is quite good.

OiRogers

The newer Quick Rods, after 2013 I think, have much improved clean channels...the clean on mine is quite good.
Definitely need to look into the newer version. I see they have a 'old' switch on the face now, the one I played didn't have that as I recall.... I'll have to see if I can find one near me that I can plug my LP into.

waggclan

Par 4 Holer
Gold Supporting Member
I just ran across this Thread. Hey, I’m only 3 months late...

I got curious about the lunch box version, Son of Yeti, so I picked one up earlier this year. WOW, what a super cool amp that is so easy to take wherever I need to go. This sucker is not only small and easy to transport around, but also has a multitude of different rock tones and is loud enough for club gigging. I figured it this way; I’ll not buy the KoT I’m on the waiting list for, add $200 to the purchase price and I will end up with a hand built tube amplifier that rocks the F’n house. Very very happy with this micro Ceriatone amplifier!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I just ran across this Thread. Hey, I’m only 3 months late...

I got curious about the lunch box version, Son of Yeti, so I picked one up earlier this year. WOW, what a super cool amp that is so easy to take wherever I need to go. This sucker is not only small and easy to transport around, but also has a multitude of different rock tones and is loud enough for club gigging. I figured it this way; I’ll not buy the KoT I’m on the waiting list for, add $200 to the purchase price and I will end up with a hand built tube amplifier that rocks the F’n house. Very very happy with this micro Ceriatone amplifier!
I'm considering getting one of these. I'm a big confused by the two gain knobs. Is it a two channel or single channel amp?
If single, how well does it clean up with the guitar's volume knob?

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
I had one of the first KKs out the door. If you are looking for Plexi tones, you probably want to keep looking. The clean in the KK is sort of Plexi, but not close enough for what I wanted. Less gain, rounder, and not really the hard hitting crunch I wanted.

The lead channel is more modern voiced than a Marshall.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom