1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Long time Strat player looking for a Tele What is your favorite telecaster and why. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jaymay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

Howdy there gear page people, i’ve always played a Strat and want to start playing a tele to get some of my favorite sounds I can’t get on the strat. So many options out there would like to hear some opinions, it doesn’t have to be a fender model.
    Thanks!

2. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

To be most helpful, I'd be curious to know what you like and dislike about Strats and/or why you're interested in trying out a Tele.

For your first though, I'd get something from Fender - specifically, a Fender Classic Player Baja '60s Tele. I think it would be a good gateway Tele. It's a great instrument, fairly easy to find, and it'll holds its value (if you somehow don't like it).

Jaketone, Jaymay and VaughnC like this.
  3. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

I am very pleased with my Kirn. Pickups made in house, old school nitro finish, great fit and finish, and relatively affordable compared to other small builders.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Squier Vintage Vibe. Seriously. I have sold off almost all my guitars and own 3 Vintage Vibe Teles. Only upgrades are compensated saddles and Zhangbucker and Fralin pickups.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

One of those 'Streles'. You know ... shaped like a Tele with the electronics of a Strat.

Should suit you perfectly.

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been mostly a Strat player for some 50 years and Tele's never did much for me...until the day I played the Baja model. Had to buy the 50's Baja off the rack at my local dealer one day it sounded so good...and I recently bought a used 60's Baja on a whim and I think I like it even better.

The Baja's seem to have a woodyness to their sound that most Tele's I've played lack, and their 6 sound/4way switching is pretty versatile for the sounds my Strat's cannot do. And the necks are just right...not too fat, not too thin...but the 50's model is fatter than the 60's model and feels a little better in my large paws. But I think I prefer the narrower sound of the 60's model....the 50's model sounds big & wide, which is great for some applications.

I also have a 70's Telecaster Custom and its strengths are its thick middle & neck sounds that contrast with its stock Tele bridge pickup...for an on-board boost of sorts.

And a pine parts Tele for something to tinker with!

A good Strat is great at what it does...but only a good Tele will do what it does and I find it better for some things. Basically, a Strat wins for its neck & tweener sounds and trem...but my Baja Tele's win for bridge, middle, & series sounds where I need to punch through a mix.

Oh well, one old Strat fart's opinion;)!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Jaketone, Sam Hill and Jaymay like this.
  7. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Classic vibe, right? I’ll agree. A great way to start with the telecaster. I recommend the blond 50’s version. Great bang for the buck.

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I have 2 Fender Teles, but with the risk of being called a corksniffer here, my favourite is actually my Danocaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Damn. That is hot. Smokin’ hot. WOULD.

Bluesful likes this.
  10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Wow, that rig just looks like it's saying: "Play me!"...!

Bluesful likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Member

BAJA 50s for the chunky neck or 60s for a less chunky neck
    MIM Player series
    Pick an MIA by your budget, used or new
    4-way switch mod on any SS Tele

You can always swap pickups and controls so don't get too hung up on those.
    You can always swap a neck or a body -- but the problem is you then have an extra body or neck and they will magically draw additional parts and you'll have two Teles.

You'll find your hand doesn't hit the volume knob all the time.
    You'll maybe want to flip the control plate.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Well, I love my own Tele, but it's a mashup of parts. USA Hwy 1 body, USACG neck, Fralin SP43 pickups. That said, if I were in the market for a new one, I'd buy or build one with the humbucker in the neck position. Perhaps the reasonably priced "American Performer". Or better yet, a build so I could use the neck of my choice.

13. Badstrat

Badstrat Member

I recently got a Fender JV Tele. What a great guitar. Putting some Lollars in. I’m more of a strat player but enjoy a good Tele

14. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

One with a body and forearm contour so it will be comfortable.

effectsman and Agramal like this.
  15. Droliver

Droliver Member

If you like the belly cut, that limits you to a Kotzen signature model or an American Elite

16. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Nocaster if you have the cash
    Baja on a budget

Best 2 teles I've played.

I hear the elites are quite good too.

17. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I love both Strats and Teles... but over the years I’ve found they each need some mods & tweaks to get them exactly where I wanted them

That said, I’ve rarely played a stock Strat (various models) that I didn’t think was at least useable right off the shelf. I have rarely been able to say that about Teles. The biggest difference being the Tele neck pickup is often a bit muddy and muted compared to a Strat, but there are plenty of aftermarket neck pickups available that remedy that (my favorite is the Dimarzio Area T.... the neck unit that comes stock on a Baja is pretty good too)

If you’re used to Strats, maybe a Nashville Tele (with the extra pickup & 5-way) would be a nice crossover model, if you like to use the in-between tones.

Jaymay likes this.
  18. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

I have a couple strats at the moment one is a Early 90s American standard maple D shape neck and everything is stock, this one is never going anywhere because of the deep family sentiment it has to me. The other is an elite strat rosewood board, HSS setup. Favorite neck of any guitar I’ve owned and love the versatility. I really like everything about it more than any strat I’ve had. I’ve been Considering a Tele for some time. Went to cream city Music and spent a few hours playing different models. I had my strat with me and at the end of the day I thought my strat played and sounded as good as any of the Teles. I did enjoy the 60s Baja quite a bit and keep thinking I need a tele in my life. I guess the only thing I’m looking for is a change in feel and tone when I play. You can call me crazy!

19. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

[​IMG]

Being a long time super Strat guitar player myself, I bought a Reverend Eastsider T from a TGP forum member, upgraded the guitar with EMG T pickups/SPC module (midrange boost) and Dunlop straplocks. I had my friend set up the action & intonation and it sounds good & plays great.

Guitar George

Agramal likes this.
  20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I absolutely love my American original 50s tele. I sold my custom shops simply because I prefer the AO. Best neck Fender has ever made. Beefy, but slight V and rolled edges. 9.5 radius with taller but still thin frets. Find a lighter one and you have as good a tele as you will find for under 2k. I like it more than my old Detemples. :eek:

ilikeoverdrive and Jaymay like this.