1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Long time Strat player looking for a Tele What is your favorite telecaster and why. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jaymay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

Thanks for that! I’ve been looking at those and really like the looks. What are the specs of your model?

2. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

To echo some others here, you could start with a CV Tele to see if you like Teles, and then if you do, you could get a better one, although you might find that it's so good that you don't need another. And the Alnico 5 neck pickup that comes on the BSB and CVC Teles is not muddy or muted, and I doubt that the Alnico 3 one in the white Blonde CV is either. If you decide to try a CV, you should play both, because the A3 pickups are hotter, while the A5 ones are more vintage output. And the CVC has a bound body and rosewood/indian laurel board, while the two blonde ones have maple and no binding on the body.
    For more money, the MIM CP Baja 50's and 60's Teles are an amazing value, just like the CP Strats, and are arguably as good as American models.
    But, I just got a new American Performer Strat, and it's the best Strat that I've ever owned at any price. I like it even more than my Am Pro, so you might try the Am Performer Tele too.

Jaymay likes this.
  3. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Despite both being Fenders, and therefore similar in neck feel, a Tele will definitely make you play differently. The bridge feel, attack, resonance, ergonomics and sustain are all different on a Tele. I love the way a Strat looks, feels and sounds... but I think I like my playing better on a Tele

steam boat and Jaymay like this.
  4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Its just a stock 50s AO butter scotch. 6.7 lbs of tone. I put in Fralin pups just because I am a Fralin freak, but the originals sound great too. I have owned around 10 CS Teles, a Masterbuilt, a Detemple, and an original 56 and 67. This is my favorite of all. I will put up a pic.
    :beer

[​IMG]

5. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

Great! What do you like about the performer? If anything particular

6. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

I appreciate your insight. You recommend I might try a Nashville tele. What model are you playing the most?

GenoVox likes this.
  7. Jedi

Jedi Member

You did not mention a budget. However, I would look for a used Fender CS ‘51 Nocaster. YMMV.

Jaymay likes this.
  8. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

The Nashville is good for someone used to Strats... mainly because of the extra pickup in there for more Strat-like tones, if that matters to you. FWIW - it was the first Tele I ever bought, for that very reason.

If I had to recommend a Tele that’s pretty great in stock form (if you’re not into mods), I’d hafta second the recommendation others have made for the Baja. The stock pickups on that model are pretty killer custom shop models. The neck shape is great (though it has a vintage-style truss rod, which was a negative for me). It also has that 4-way selector, which some Tele folks love (I’m not a fan of it, TBH)

My own current Tele (see avatar) was a MIM Butterscotch model that I got used cheap... then upgraded the pickups, wiring and bridge. Now, it’s just about perfect for me... but I like to tweak my guitars like that

Jaymay likes this.
  9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

RYAN1987M, Agramal, rauchman and 2 others like this.
  10. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

rowdyyates likes this.
  11. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

To each their own, but.... damn, dat’s uuuuugly

And aside from the shape, there’s nothing Tele-like about it

12. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

13. PixMix

PixMix Member

AVRI Tele, I gave mine a refret with medium jumbo frets but kept the vintage radius. The rest is all stock and it's a great playing and sounding guitar. Used around $1000-1200, even less on a god day.

[​IMG]

Badstrat and Jaymay like this.
  14. twotone

twotone Member

Instead of buying a standard Telecaster with single coil pickups (which sounds close to a Strat minus the middle pickup), I got a Squier Vintage Modified 72 Thinline Telecaster with humbuckers. It has its own sound - not quite Fender and not quite Gibson either. Thick and trebley but not twangy.

15. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Strat guy, haven't played a lot of teles, or one like the one I'm describing, FWIW but I think I'd dig a barn-caster with a DC in the bridge, sort of a ZZ-top vibe.

16. frankg11

frankg11 Member

wow I literally just answered this question on another thread. the link is still in my copy cache. I have several strats and picked up on of these several years ago. Love the heck out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

egregion, Lakeabilene and Windup 43 like this.
  17. Jaymay

Jaymay Supporting Member

Windup 43 likes this.
  18. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Fender Highway One TEXAS Telecaster. That's the one.

19. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Thanks! It’s a mahogany MIJ offset Tele...the warmth of mahogany, but still with the signature Tele bite/twang. Way more comfortable contours for me compared to a traditional Tele, big/thick neck too :)

rhyming_orange likes this.
  20. dazco

dazco Member

Doesn't necessarily matter IMO whether it's MIM or CS or what, but a 60's alder body with slab board rosewood neck and all vintage details. Thats IMO is the best sounding tele or for that matter best sounding electric on earth, period. Pretty much every detail must be the same except the saddles which i think are very bright. Those steel threaded saddles IMO are overly bright. But get a MIM classic 60s and put whatever pickups do it for you and a set of fender compensate brass and IMO that is the holy grail of fender tone. It snaps, it's transparent, it;s alive, it's rich, it's dynamic, it has everything in spades. Like i said, custom shop or MIM or even a 3rd party clone. But the wood species and a slab board with vintage design neck and bridge and your choice of pickups is a killer sound Even the radius matters because a flatter than7.25" radius adds more rosewood and will affect the tone quite notably, which is why i don't like the baja 60s with the 9.5" radius. Thats all my opinion and some will say it's BS, but you asked and thats MO. Get a 60s RI whether fender USA or MIM or 3rd party and stick with the vintage details and you will have a killer tele. I'm a fender fanatic and to me thats the best most alive and rich fender tone i have experienced to date.

Fenderesq likes this.