1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Long time Strat player looking for a Tele What is your favorite telecaster and why. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jaymay, Feb 9, 2019.

1. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

2. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

You're right, it doesn't have to be a Fender. By looking elsewhere you can find a greater variety of pickups, scale lengths, and "feel." I have a few Fender Teles, but appreciate what Gustavsson (Fullerblaster), DeTemple (Spirit), Nash (T63), Suhr (T Custom) and Anderson (Cobra) bring to the table too, some very different than a Fender and others similar. One of my fave classic Teles is a partscaster I built with a Fender CS maple neck, MJT/Warmoth ash body, and DeTemple Sweet Spot pickups. There are lots of choices out there. My experience is that alder Tele bodies are harder to find great sounding pickups for (Fender Twisted Tele PUs sound good). If you'd like to try different pickups, go for an ash body that will sound good with a variety of pickups. P90s and DeArmonds go well with mahogany bodies, like the Gustavsson, and humbuckers work with most woods but you have to find the right combination to get the sound you want.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Hamer95USA likes this.
  3. somedude

somedude Member

Go around and play every Telecaster you can find until you find one that just screams in the midrange.

Flogger59 likes this.
  4. lennokez

lennokez Member

5. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

It has a great feeling neck, but it took some getting used to the jumbo frets. After I got used to them, I find that it's actually easier to bend and do vibrato than with smaller frets. And the other real star of the show is the Yosemite pickups. They sound better to me than any other Strat pickup that I've ever tried.

6. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

My choice is a 1992 telecaster plus with lace sensor pickups.

My reasons are not terrific but basically it's not a traditional telecaster sound, really a while different thing. But tonally has lots of options including a very musical neck pickup and choice of bridge humbucker or 2 singles. Mine has a warmth neck with compound radius and jumbo SS frets. Just a fun beast to play with.

In fact I think I might being it to rehearsal tomorrow.

7. brb9911

brb9911 Member

As many have said, the Baja Tele is your basic gateway Tele ... they do become addictive tho

8. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

2018 Fender C/S ‘51 Nocaster with 10/56 neck and their new Loaded ‘51 pickups, which sound like the Nocaster pups they made during the early yrs of the Custom Shop. It’s a BEAST!

Wayne Alexander and Jaymay like this.
  9. Jaketone

Jaketone Member

I've had the classic vibe 50s tele, an 80s fender japan 52 reissue, a 50s baja and currently own a 60s baja which is my favourite of them all.

I was/am a strat guy too but i love the 60s baja. It isn't as raw sounding as the 50s baja but its tone and feel aligns itself more to my strat.

It's a polite souding guitar compared to the othes but still has that tele bark/spank on the bridge pickup.

I highly recommend trying one as a gateway tele. It's true what they say - you can do ANYTHING on a tele..!

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I set out for a Baja, but there were none to be had. The dealer put an American Standard (2014) in my hands that he got in a trade. It was less than the Baja. And when I finally played the Baja here was instant dislike for the neck, I don't do U or D.

Turns out the Am Std's neck feels JUST like a 63 Tele neck that I had on a partscaster, but with better frets. Throw in the Broadcaster/Twisted Tele combo with a belly contour and I am a very happy camper.

11. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

Personally, I really like the fender american special tele. Mine started out as an american special and now the only original part is the pickguard. It was great as a stock guitar, but very easy to mod to taste.

12. Dickey

Dickey Member

Well, I'm a bit of a guitar snob, & the only Teles I like are Fender Custom Shop, or vintage original Fender made before '82.

13. freedomspec

freedomspec Member

My favourite tele is my 95 AM Standard. It has a lovely almost D shaped neck, medium jumbo frets, it's a nice weight, it sounds great acoustically, and it just has something that no other telecaster has (for me). What really set it off was a set of Lollar pickups. Now it's just amazing.

14. Lakeabilene

Lakeabilene Member

Fender sounds you can't get on a Strat? Problem is, saying what kind of tele is about like saying what kind of guitar. They have been reincarnated in every way imaginable. First you have to make some decisions, bridge will be humbucker or single coil? Forget the coil splitting none of those work like a real single coil. Then, radius on the neck, have to pick, the 7.25 and the 9.5 or the compound necks. Coming from a Strat, as I was, I prefer the belly cut. It's only on the high end and the lowest end teles--like my Player Telecaster, made in China, pine body, strat mid pickup, nice guitar. Most of the popular teles, like the Nashville and the Baja, could end up in your possession. It's an addiction. But the real tele sound, get the Brad Paisley model, or one of the 50's or 60's reissues. And if you need to change pickups, you can get the fender single coil pickups for cheap at Daryl Rileys, nocasters, twisted, and such. So it's less expensive than the $100+ you typically pay for aftermarket pickups. Once you get it, you have to practice Travis picking or hybrid picking, and adding in some slapback and compression. There, you got it now.

Jaymay likes this.
  15. Telemon

Telemon Supporting Member

The Holy Grail. Model 8502 Telecaster, Rarest of them all.

16. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

About 20 years ago I ran the racks at a place with about a dozen used Tele’s and found a used ‘80’s Fernandes lawsuit model for $300 that I liked better than the Fenders.

Over time I’ve changed a lot of components myself and it plays really well and sounds great and it’s been my #1 for about 15 years.

-bEn r.

Jaymay likes this.
  17. monty

monty Member

I really like a Tele Custom. The middle position clean almost makes me forget how beautiful a clean Strat can sound.

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I was never a Tele guy, but between Danish Pete's purple one, and worse, Red, from TPS, I have a hankering.
    Personally, I'm not a relic guy either, but I would definitely get a relic Tele, don't ask me why, I don't have a logical reason, just an emotive thought.
    Here is a nice purple Roadworn one
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...0s-telecaster-limited-edition-electric-guitar

or if you have the bones,
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...952-telecaster-heavy-relic-mn-purple-metallic
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...952-telecaster-heavy-relic-mn-purple-metallic

Oh lordy, leave me alone.

Jaymay likes this.
  19. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I have a '52 AVRI which I bought new in 2000. There have been all kinds of reissue models of that year and different neck shapes and sizes so it take awhile to find what you like but narrowing your search to a blackguard type in that vein will point you in the right direction. You always hear this but seriously play as many as you can. You will find one you like.

20. rwmct

rwmct Member

To my mind, if you have a Strat and are looking for a change, you should go with a traditional style Tele with the two pickups and the normal three way switch, no humbuckers or anything that departs from the classic Tele thing.

I have a MIM toploader from the mid 90s that I like a lot. Nothing special, but a real Tele all the way.

The Captain and Jaymay like this.