Long wait for amp. Having 2nd thoughts .

rjpilot

I ordered a Mesa markV 35 and a 212 compact recto cab in March and am told June might be the time it ships out to me. We’ve (the fam) been doing spring cleaning and getting our oldest prepped for college. Now I’m wondering if I even want the thing now. We have sooo much junk. Old furniture, game systems, toys, legos etc. I would hate to move. Feeling very tied down to this house that will soon feel much more empty. We have one more child to send off into the world but that’s only a matter of 3 years. On top of all this, I’m really not gonna get a good chance to open the amp up and play shows with it. ... for the foreseeable future anyway. I know this is the wrong place to get advice about (not) buying gear but what say you all? Anyone else in similar situations? My rig is an axe fx 2 through a PA speaker. Pretty happy with it. It’s not exactly cool by tube amp standards but it works. Just wondering what the hell id do with a decent amp. Then I’d need pedals and so we go down the rabbit hole again.

Badside

I ordered a Mesa markV 35 and a 212 compact recto cab in March and am told June might be the time it ships out to me. We’ve (the fam) been doing spring cleaning and getting our oldest prepped for college. Now I’m wondering if I even want the thing now. We have sooo much junk. Old furniture, game systems, toys, legos etc. I would hate to move. Feeling very tied down to this house that will soon feel much more empty. We have one more child to send off into the world but that’s only a matter of 3 years. On top of all this, I’m really not gonna get a good chance to open the amp up and play shows with it. ... for the foreseeable future anyway. I know this is the wrong place to get advice about (not) buying gear but what say you all? Anyone else in similar situations? My rig is an axe fx 2 through a PA speaker. Pretty happy with it. It’s not exactly cool by tube amp standards but it works. Just wondering what the hell id do with a decent amp. Then I’d need pedals and so we go down the rabbit hole again.

I know what you mean. Had a Badlander on order since before Xmas and still no firm shipment date, so I said eff it and I cancelled the order and bought myself a nice new guitar instead.

A local store has a MkV:35 and 212 recto cab in stock. I gave it a shot, liked it a lot. But it's been returned twice (they're knocking 100$ off) which is really concerning. Only issue I noticed is the popping when changing channel which has been reported a few times (Mesa amps usually mute the amp while switching so that is odd). Also can't figure out why they put 2 Solo's instead of adding a global master (which would make it much easier to control at low volume).

-TJ-

This is the unfortunate outcome when reality creeps into internet forum perpetuated consumerism. I think the obvious only cure is to buy another amp that you can receive immediately to keep you too busy to entertain such terrible thoughts until the boogie shows up in a months time.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
It's better to have 2nd thoughts now and cancel, than to regret not being able to fully utilize it down the road. Based on your message, I suggest you cancel the order!

That's probably the first time I've recommended cancelling and it admittedly does feel kinda strange!! Lol

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
You have made the move Away from tube amplification. Don’t go back!!! You will then be faced with the dilemma of having been accustomed to sounds that are inferior to tube sonics while being more quickly versatile. Fully embrace your solid state system and enjoy.
there...did that do it for you????

rjpilot

If it were me I'd keep the amp and get rid of the old junk lying around.
Oh the junk is on its way out. Probably a thousand dollars worth of legos (we may try to sell but probably will just donate or trash). Tons of transformer action figures. A PlayStation2, a Nintendo DS, N64 and a bunch of games. Furniture is slowing being dragged to the curb over the past few weeks.
You have made the move Away from tube amplification. Don’t go back!!! You will then be faced with the dilemma of having been accustomed to sounds that are inferior to tube sonics while being more quickly versatile. Fully embrace your solid state system and enjoy.
there...did that do it for you????
seems like we’ve met before ;)
You sound like a bass player I know

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
The axe fx keeps me busy and quiet. I borrowed a bud’s runt20 and cab and I couldn’t play the thing quiet enough :oops:... for my family anyway.
first, RJ, I was being a bit light-heartedly facetious there. (;^)..
Secondly, is an acoustic guitar too loud for the home? If so, one has to consider that it is not the equipment but the musical results that might be the problem???
yeah...I am that way this morning....sometimes people just don’t want to hear it, ime, no matter how quiet one tried to be.

ToobNoob

Well, Sounds like you'll have the extra room with the one kid goin off..?..
So there's that. ;)

More Room = More Stuff. :aok

I hear ya though, I would NEVER want to move again with all the stuff between a basement full of music gear (including 6 pc drum set/bass amps/guitar amps/guitars pedals/ recording stuff) then the garage full of all kinds of tools/wood working/metal working/ automotive tools.

I know, 1st world probs right? I do stop now n then to appreciate how lucky I am Though. :bow

:beer
T$

bobcs71

My decent amp sits against the wall under a cover. I'm not playing out anytime soon.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
There is always a point of compromise. If you don't feel comfortable with it, cancel the order and look for a used amp within your local market. If you don't bond with it, you can always turn it around with little or no loss.

I think it's better to treat one's self with an expensive mainstream guitar, as they tend to go up in value and/or earn a personal attachment. Amps are more utilitarian IMHO, get something that works for your tone, and if it doesn't, move it along.

harvey j

You may never get it now that GIBSON is involved with Mesa. cancel it.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
It's better to have 2nd thoughts now and cancel, than to regret not being able to fully utilize it down the road. Based on your message, I suggest you cancel the order!

That's probably the first time I've recommended cancelling and it admittedly does feel kinda strange!! Lol
I would too.. all 5 of my 15-18 watt tube amps just don’t get played at home because even as a pedal platform, you have to get them up a bit in volume and it’s just to loud for the neigborhood......
I would absolutely cancel the order.... if you want a cool analog amp that sounds unbelievable (really)at really any volume, get an AmpMan Classic and plug it’s self contained 50 watt amp into a guitar speaker cab....I use it live and at home it’s truly irreplaceable... gonna sell my tube amps....
It has a great FX loop, boost overdrive plus another boost that’s just volume boost. 2 channels, and its $399. It’s all analog, but truly sounds like a great tube amp...
another option is the BluGuitar Amp1.. 4 channels, 100 watts plus a nanotube. Again, great at home or live.. weighs 3 lbs....can’t say enough for both of these amps, and ive been a Mesa and Marshall player since the 60’s..yikes! The Amp1 is strictly 4 channels of different Marshall. The AmpMan is more versatile especially with its sag control

sbry76

Supporting Member
I was in the same boat as you, except that I already had a Mark V35 and the horizontal Recto 2x12 cab. The issue was that while that specific amp is just so damn juicy and especially when paired with that specific 2x12 cab, the reality was that I didn't play it as much as time went by due to just how loud this amp can get when playing through the 2x12 cab. So, I sold the setup and guess what? I missed that amp so badly when I didn't have it that I went out and purchased another Mark V series head. This time I purchased what better suited my current lifestyle. I bought the Mark V25 and the Lone Star 23 1x12 cab. Its PERFECT for me in that the footprint takes up less space in my home office, the 1x12 open back cabinet doesn't send LOUD chug-thuds through my walls like the closed back 2x12 Recto cab did, and the whole setup is just lighter and better suited for my play-at-home use only now.

Just to add, when I sold my Mark V35 and Recto cab I thought that I would be content just playing through my Boss Waza Air headphones. The reality was that there are times that I want to use just the Waza's, and times I want to play through a tube amp as stellar as the Mark V 25/35.

Like you, Im also down one child now with just one more to go before its empty nest for my wife and I. Without a doubt its going to be a difficult transition for me not having the beautiful noise of my kids around everyday, but one positive is that now I also have more room and can indulge a little more on gear than I ever did in the past while my priorities were more focused on my kids. I will say, its kinda cool seeing my "dream" gear in my office, and I dont feel as guilty when I splurge a little since it's okay to treat yourself at times too once the big job of raising the kids starts to come to completion.

Last edited:

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
The axe fx keeps me busy and quiet. I borrowed a bud’s runt20 and cab and I couldn’t play the thing quiet enough :oops:... for my family anyway.
Your family needs "breaking in."

They will get used to it, it just takes a little time. :rockin

Soft to medium drummer volume isn't too hard on the ears and it's a good stress reliever. Music room's gotta music! :dude

Trending Topics