• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Longest anyone has waited on a build?

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
How did it change your life?
Sorry, that was a lame joking reference to ZZ Top "Brown Sugar." That said, it did change my life in that I will NEVER order another guitar from a luthier without first checking out their business reputation. The person I ordered from was a TGP darling for his guitars, but had just started falling apart business wise around the time I ordered.

Shark21

Gold Supporting Member
Four years and 358 days. Over twenty five promises via e-mail. Long threads here. Pics I got for four years were a guitar delivered to another customer before mine. My order was years before his. It's on consignment and has been for years. Builder even promised me a free set of pickups for my trouble. Waited about six months for those and told him to keep them. Finally, he ghosted me from his Facebook page and told people that I was trying to ruin his business and they wouldn't get their guitars because of my constant harping here on TGP. Both guitars I have built by Ian Anderson are great. I hardly play them at all. I've not seen more than a few supposedly delivered in the past few years. I know he told me that he had more than a dozen on order at that time. Curiously, Walter Becker (God bless him and his family) had a bunch of them. I guess Ian was working mostly for just one customer and supplementing his income with down payments from others that, most likely, are still waiting.

V. Siren

Over two years for my first Rick Kelly. I'm now just over the two year point on a second Rick Kelly. Communication ain't the best, but it is what it is...

yucatown

Platinum Supporting Member
Four years and 358 days. Over twenty five promises via e-mail. Long threads here. Pics I got for four years were a guitar delivered to another customer before mine. My order was years before his. It's on consignment and has been for years. Builder even promised me a free set of pickups for my trouble. Waited about six months for those and told him to keep them. Finally, he ghosted me from his Facebook page and told people that I was trying to ruin his business and they wouldn't get their guitars because of my constant harping here on TGP. Both guitars I have built by Ian Anderson are great. I hardly play them at all. I've not seen more than a few supposedly delivered in the past few years. I know he told me that he had more than a dozen on order at that time. Curiously, Walter Becker (God bless him and his family) had a bunch of them. I guess Ian was working mostly for just one customer and supplementing his income with down payments from others that, most likely, are still waiting.
Brutal. As I mentioned above, I'm at 6.5 years on a Ken Lawrence. Ken has been super nice and responsive every time I contact him, even apologetic. Three years ago I was promised that my guitar would be done by the end of the year. Then I started getting some progress pics two years ago with promises that things would be moving quick now. I've given up on contact and also on ever receiving it. My tastes in gear have changed over time. I don't doubt it would be a great guitar, but I'm not sure I'll ever see it. In the meantime, he has completed builds for others (including a fellow TGPer whose journey started at around the same time as mine), and celebrity players like this guy.

mustard

Hi Guys

Just wondering what the longest anyone has waitied on a build?

Have had a mix of experiences with custom builders, wonderful service from Jason Shroeder
and less from others.

Im now at 13 years on a guitat I paid in full for around 11 years go. Have given up hope on this one but curious about the experiences of others? (please be careful in terms on naming and shaming!)
This is the longest I've waited to post a comment or reply (I haven't said anything on this forum in >2 years), and I'm coming back to say NAME THEM!

Also, and this is just the lawyer man in me... but I'm starting to think that people ought to use contracts.

Shark21

Gold Supporting Member
Brutal. As I mentioned above, I'm at 6.5 years on a Ken Lawrence. Ken has been super nice and responsive every time I contact him, even apologetic. Three years ago I was promised that my guitar would be done by the end of the year. Then I started getting some progress pics two years ago with promises that things would be moving quick now. I've given up on contact and also on ever receiving it. My tastes in gear have changed over time. I don't doubt it would be a great guitar, but I'm not sure I'll ever see it. In the meantime, he has completed builds for others (including a fellow TGPer whose journey started at around the same time as mine), and celebrity players like this guy.

I hear you. I was in my forties, when I ordered the Flying V. I was in my fifties when it finally arrived. I was worried that I might have aged out!

t_hamill

I've had a long thought, and not my normal way of operating but think its probably prudent to help protect the cash of other members.
I hope I'm not breaking any rules but as I've reconciled myself to the fast that I'll neither see money nor guitar hopefully it may protect others.

I have to note that I'd previously purchased a used guitar by the builder, and was impressed by the build quality, so had no real reason to question.
My feeling is he'd had a tough time over the past number of years but I wouldnt like to see anyone else lose money. Stopped answering emails about a year ago, after promising
delivery in a few weeks.

Its George Gorodnitski of Master Guitars in California

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
He used to post here as MGI, but it doesn't seem to link to a user account now.

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
Seems like you guys ordered new guitars but a few got vintage ones or maybe getting one

Rob Taft

Gold Supporting Member
Going on 18 months. There have been extenuating circumstances so I'm basically cool with it. But approaching 70 years of age, I am more cognizant of the passage of time. It will be my last custom guitar.

Crshngdstryr

I’ve only done two custom guitars and both were a 2.5 years wait. One was an Echopark, and it was the worst music-related experience I’ve ever had.

The other guitar was a MotorAve. The entire process was great. Really great company, nice people and just a class act. And when the guitar finally came, it was a masterpiece. I would have waited a decade for my MotorAve, it’s that good.

Last edited:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
There’s the book on Wayne Henderson’s , can’t remember how long Clapton had to wait....It was a few years....

Shark21

Gold Supporting Member
I commissioned an aged '58 Flying V "replica" from Paolo Sulci at Sonic Guitars in Italy on 05/13/2020. It will arive on Monday. For those of you keeping score, that's 33 days from order to completion.

I think it's no leap to figure that he has most of the woodworking done before he lists the guitar for sale. It's a business model that really works for me. I'll be posting my thoughts, after the guitar shows up. Here are some pics. There is hope...

Trending Topics