Longevity of locking tuners?

voxylady

Didn't see Schallers mentioned much but I've got some Schaller mini locking tuners installed in my Warmoth build, and they've been working flawlessly

monkeybrains

I sorta like locking tuners but I do like to get at least 1 or 2 turns on them. I have had problems with breaking strings at the tuner (while playing the guitar not on initial tuning) when I just pull the string through and lock it.
May well be user error but that's my experience. The tuners I got are locking sperzels

Gclef

If they are good tuners with no issues, then they will last for the life of the guitar.

My experiences:

Fender schaller circa 1990 vintage - no issues but a bit sloppy in the gear mesh

Sperzel - 2 have stiff points during the rotation. Carvin sent me 2 new ones, then another developed the same issue. So 3 out of 9 were bad. 2002 vintage. 12:1 ratio is not fine enough for adjustments on the fat strings.

Planet waves auto trim - 18:1 ratio. They cut the string ends as you turn! I love these!!

My feeling is this: if you are buying new tuners, spend the 20 or 30 extra bucks for lockers. Yes, you can wind the stings around regular ones and have no issues, but lockers take a half to 1 full rotation to get to tune

Drew816

Chupacabra Psychiatrist and Meme Thief
Silver Supporting Member
If you buy quality, they'll last forevers. You buy cheaper or knockoffs, well...

I don't know what the oldest set of locking "tuners" I have, I was late to the game I must admit. Certainly over a decade though for several sets/types.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have 16 yr old sperzels and never had an issue. I also have the Fender/Charvel ones and a set of the Suhr's. If the tuners themselves are of good quality there's no issues. And in terms of added mechanical complexity it's extremely minimal and couldn't be any simpler

Strummerfan

I've had a Fender set for over 20 years, 7 of those gigging, no problems. Thumb wheel to lock and unlock, look great, work perfectly.

TFR

Silver Supporting Member
I had one Sperzel that had problems within a few years but I've had many others that didn't.

JasonE

I change everything I can over to locking tuners. What is the longevity of them? Lifetime.

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Sperzel that lost its ability to grip the high E string many years ago.

That's my only known locking tuner failure across many sets and years.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I love them for quick string changes in a live setting. They let me bring 1 guitar instead of 2 to a show. I don’t put them on guitars I rarely gig with.
A builder friend swears by Hipshot tuners, so I bet those have a very good lifespan.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom