Longsword fighting is now a sport.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Hwoltage, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Which reminds me that it's very disappointing in this day and age that movies that feature ancient/old time soldiers still have everyone with all of their fingers. These sword wielding folks would be missing digits like crazy...right? ;)

I think that the movie "300" would have been much more believable if the average Spartan had about 7 fingers...:D

3. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

That is hilarious and you are right on. :rotflmao You lose a thumb though you might have to trade down to a one (good) handed weapon and a shield or something. That's a potential career ender.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Good. I assume the trophy is known as the Darwin Award

5. xntrick

xntrick Member

They tried doing that with jousting. I think it was on Discovery, it was interesting to watch. Not sure how long it has been off the air.

6. dohmar

dohmar Member

You'd think, but thats why they invented guards ;P And practiced like hell with blunt blades. I made the mistake once of practicing hectic ninja skills with a live blade and nearly lost my 'up yours' finger. Not that stupid/young to do that anymore. Bokken hurts just plenty when you get hit.

-D

7. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

[​IMG]

Many years ago I saw a Celtic re-enactment group do a show outside Rosslyn Chapel (scene of the Da Vinci Code movie). That was only semi-rehearsed, guys reverting back a few hundred years and really going for it.
    Right in front of me one guy stepped back, slipped backwards on a pile of cow cr@p which dropped his guard and his opponent cracked his skull with his axe - not deliberately obviously - but the guy was in a very bad way.

8. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

The SCA just got real.

9. lowbrow

lowbrow Member

Over ten years ago I lived in a apartment on the third floor of a complex. The property right next door was industrial, but the factory was set back very far so there was a large greenway outside my balcony windows. I was snoozing on the couch one sunday afternoon when I heard lots of clanging going on seemingly right outside my window. I sat up and looked over the back of the couch, and there where two guys in helms and armor bashing away at each other. It was one of those…"am I really seeing this?" moments....

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That's not a recent development. I used to work with a kid (he was about 23) who made his own armor, swords and whatever and went to these re-enactment sword fighting and jousting things every weekend. That was about 15 years ago.

One Monday morning he came into work walking like an old man and had bruises everywhere. His forehead, arms, face, you name it, so I asked him what the hell happened to him, a car accident?

He said "no, I lost a jousting match. The asshole knocked hit me in the ribs and knocked me off my horse. It really f%$king hurts to land on the ground wearing a full suit of armor too." I laughed my ass off...

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I think it's awesome! I'd love to get into something like that or Kendo.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Kendo guys would eat them alive I suspect.

13. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

:rotflmao :rotflmao Good stuff!

14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

They need to combine this with Curling. I would watch that.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

How's that work? Do you get one guy ahead of the sweeper with a sword to fend off the other team? Do they get a swordsman (or swordswoman) to defend? :huh

16. tguyfr

tguyfr Member

No. The art of longsword is more subtle and efficient you can imagine. Search a few vids on YT, those guys don't play, they fight and it's as aggressive as any martial art you know. Just remember their sentence : 'One action, one dead' (I don't know if my translation is correct).

17. mastercaster

mastercaster Member