Look at my pedalboard & advise??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saneff, Jan 23, 2012.

1. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

So I am a new player (1 year) and played mostly acoustic until a couple months ago. So no ridicule if my board makes no sense! I have several electrics now too and have been working on my pedalboard and trying to find the tones I am after. I want to have a lot of options. But since I am new, I am clueless and some of what I have may look stupid to some of you. I realize there is some distortion overlap but I like all of those pedals and can't decide which to keep. Is it ridiculous to keep them all? What am I missing that would fit in well?

I like to play most kinds of rock, country, etc. I do not like head banging heavy metal stuff. But I like to play some AC/DC, Green Day, and even some 80's rock type stuff that requires distortion. I also have a TC Electronics Nova System Limited - you can see the corner of it. I use it standalone.

The pedals are arranged as they appear - front row from right to left to back row from right to left and all are in the same chain. It goes:

Elec Guitars (3 Les Pauls, G&L ASAT Special semi-hollow, Fender Tele, Fender Strat)>
    Polytune>wah>MXR custom compressor>TS808RI>Keeley Mod BD-2>MXR Custom Mod Badass>Wampler Pinnacle>Wampler SLOstortion>MK 4.23>TC Flashback>TC Corona>TC Hall of Fame>Vox AC15

[​IMG]

2. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

that is a metric frak-tonne of nice gear for someone who's been playing 1 year. congratulations.

3. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Member

that's a lot of dirt. maybe consolidate your dirt.

4. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Nice board. Btw, I grew up in Cornelius. :wave

5. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

Im my experiance BD-2 and TS can be a bit redundant, however I recommend trying the Keeley Bd-2 with level at 1-2 oclock, gain at 9 and tone rolled off trebele a bit - should add more contrast from your TS.

All in all, options are a good thing.

6. Nork

Nork Member

looks like you got it all covered there, lol. well done.

7. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

Try the JHS Morning Glory and the JHS Charlie Brown Channel Drive.

8. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Very excellent array! You have 4 pedals the same as mine. In time you might want to try a fuzz & Vibe pedal if you dig the Hendrix/Trower tones.

I dont think the TS and BD-2 overlap much myself, i have both as my contrast ODs. How do you like MXR modified OD?

9. danonbass

danonbass Member

Seriously... are you one of those rock lawyers or doctors? lol.

Anyhoo,

Pick three dirt pedals that you like the sound of the best to keep (I think one of those should be the tube screamer) Also keep the MK 4:23. I also imagine that there is a bit of overlap between the Pinnacle and the SLOstortion so maybe nix one of those.

Also, chorus is typically after your dirt and boosts but before your delay.

10. danonbass

danonbass Member

Also, it looks like you're using one spots. Pick up a Pedal Power 2+ or a BBE Supacharger.

11. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

PP2+ is a must. Maybe another Delay and you are done. The TS and Blue Driver are probably redundant, but as previously mentioned, could sill be usable. I would keep the TS and ditch the BD, but that's just my opinion.

12. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Im using a 1-Spot, seems ok, no undue noise. whats the major advantage of switching to PP2?

13. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

your board looks great.

play around with your pedal order... and consider yourself done.

leave this site asap.

if not, you will start looking at your bank account and wonder where all of your money went ;)

14. saneff

You did? Maybe we know each other or some mutual friends etc. I am actually from Statesville originally.

Good advice so far. Yeah, I think the power suggestion is a good one. And the pedal order too. I just like all of these so far. Each one seems to have it's own seperate little sweet spot where it fits to my ear or sound. I know that is the affliction, right?

15. saneff

It is my favorite pedal, or it's right up there at least with the MK 4.23. Not sure how to describe it, but the MXr modified OD just so tight for an OD. It's perfectly gritty and just oozes classic rock. So awesome. Best pedal I have run across for the money, but then again I don't know much.

16. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

If you have no extra noise then its probably not too big of a deal, but I've had pedals "blow" on 1-spots, so I got a PP2+ so I know my pedals won't get fried and may have a longer life because of the regulated power.

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

-Blues Driver and MXR Modified probably overlap a bit.....I'd keep the BD personally
    -Compressor and M423 probably overlap, too......I'd probably keep the CC (since I like comps as clean boosts). Also, the BD is a great clean boost if you dont need comp.
    -Re: the Pinnacle and Slosortion, I'd keep my favorite and let the other one go.
    -Gotta keep the TS9. When you're in a dense mix, you'll be glad it's there.

So, I'd have the BD2, TS9, and Slostortion....that should cover all the dirt needs.

18. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

That's a lot of dirt. I agree, consolidate.

Also, I see no fuzz. That's a problem that needs to be corrected.

19. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

Scrap the Blues Driver

20. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Also, I see that you are running into an AC15. Nice amps, but if you started this thread not liking your tone in someway, it may be the amp you are running all of those pedals into. What other amps have you tried? I prefer Fender or Hiwatt type cleans for pedal platforms, I owned an AC15c1 (and cc1) and found both nice sounding but kind of "boxy" and not as warm as I'd like for taking "bright" pedals.

charAZnable also makes a good point, more fuzz would be nice to see :D.