Look at the "Tele" I have on approval

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by opdev, Jun 11, 2008.

1. opdev

opdev Member

I rolled the dice on this guitar and at least have it on evaluation. Sonically, it's pretty incredible. Weighs 6lbs 8.6 oz with a comfy neck (not huge). Tapers in both direction from 1st to 12th. I played it against a few CS Nocasters. The CS has the basic vibe but none of them get the actual tone.

It's a Clive Brown refin and there are some non original parts (period correct) and a few repro parts

If it were not for the squirrly economy I would not think twice. It's also premium priced since it's not an actual tele......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&p=999&uid=3235589&gid=19848951&&imgid=320784509&offset=0

A little nervous to be paying a premium on anything in this market but these are rare (maybe 200 in existance?)

2. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

Don't know what you have to pay, but if it speaks to you, get it!
    It is an old broadcaster.. you'll be kicking yourself if you let it go.

3. John Catto

John Catto Member

That's way cool. Clive does SUCH amazing work.

4. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

Very cool guitar.
    That said, it's not just a guitar, it's an investment. So I would seek out a professional appraisal. This is not implying that the seller is dishonest, simply that he may not be completely aware of the intricacies of a very rare guitar.
    (A tele expert friend pointed out a very reputable dealer posting a neck for sale with a date that was four years off.)
    Gruhn is one option and George will do an appraisal using only detailed pics.
    I would hope that it would blow the doors off a CS Nocaster.

enjoy
    Allen

5. opdev

opdev Member

Allen,

I am actually having a few appraisals done and I am pretty sure I have all of the required info. But you are right, I definitely took (am taking) my time figuring this out.

Its selling about 20% higher than the average blackguard refin (current market) so I am being careful.

The nice thing about is that it's a player and I won't be afraid to actually use it. If it was a non refin, I'd be calculating money lost with every ding.

I actually played it against a relic Nocaster and the relic holds it's own. The broadcaster dealer told me (and was correct) that stuff like this is chasing that last 15-20%.

Besides the undeniable mojo and excitement you get playing this guitar, the bridge pup is a bit softer sounding. It's still cutting but it does not have the harsh edges of the Nocaster. The necks on the early broadcasters were also considerably smaller than the U boat on the Nocasters.

If you were going on tone alone, I probably would not buy vintage. It's the tone, feel, history and undeniable vibe some folks get by playing these pieces.

6. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I'll bet that guitar is from GOD. Get it!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING sounds like a great Telecaster, NOTHING.

7. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

opdev, we've chatted offline about this, but here are some more thoughts:

Appraisals are fine and can give temporary piece of mind, but it really comes down to what you are comfortable paying. An appraisal (or a bunch of them) give an opinion of what's it's worth right now, but if you plan on keeping it for more than a year or two, that's right out the window... the market could go up or down, and dramatically too.

I agree that the vintage mojo/tone/vibe/whatever is that last 15-20% you can't get with a reissue. But that can be really important... depending on how much value you put into that. The problem is you end up paying 1000% more to chase it...

The biggest question for me, is your evaluation of the tone... you say you wouldn't keep it just based on tone... that might take more thinking. It sounds like you're able to step back and be somewhat objective about it, it's hard when you're holding it in your hands isn't it?

Some tough questions... do you like the playing feel of the guitar better than your '67? Do you like the tones better than your '67? Does it inspire you more than any other guitar?

8. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

You d need to check the tool marking in the bridge pick up cavity and the traces of the nails holes under the finish as a start.
    Can t see the shape of the decal around the logo on the pix either.
    I believe that is mainly missing on the pictures.
    Then it s all about if you trust the seller or not and if the guitar has a clear history or not really.
    Appraisals based on pictures can only give you a general idea of what the guitar is.

9. stark

stark Supporting Member

Let's say that it's a great player. Sounds fantastic. It's going to be a total bitch to sell if you ever need to move it. If money is not an issue and you are going to play it I'd say go for it. Every issue on it gives someone a chance to beat you up when you go to sell it. This is from personal experience.

Adam Stark

10. opdev

opdev Member

Agreed. The decal is a repro which drops the price alot. It has all the right nail holes, etc. The dealer is top notch and the guitar was also evaluated by Nacho Banos, the author of the Blackguard Book. He actually started a few cool threads on TDPRI about this very guitar.

I have to retract my previous statement on tone though. I would actually buy on tone alone and this one has it. If I want the exact look I can always have a Nocaster relic'ed by Clive and turn it into a broadcaster relic/ However, a friend brought another Nocaster over today and we noticed 2 things.

The reissue is alot brighter,it just does not have that musical softness of the broadcaster. Also the broadcaster is Fender scale but plays super slinky. It's easy to play as a shorter scale Gibson. Playing this guitar is really addictive.

The tone you get it actually just like the old CD's. Just "something" about it that is more pleasing. Depending on the amp and how you play it you can get alot of tones.

Sounds just like the old Merle Haggard records, sounds just like Communication Breakdown, sounds just like Keef, or Mike Campbell. That's the magic behind the guitar I guess. It's not "like" those tones, it is those tones.

I agree about the appraisals. We are only a couple K off on the sale vs. appraised value at this point.

I do plan on keeping this for some time (assuming I don't have any financial problems). I realize this would most likely sell but it may take some time to find a buyer.

I thought my 67 tele (which I love) would be the only tele I'd ever need and this one really kills it tone and playability wise. It takes one hell of a guitar to top my '67 but this one does it in spades.

11. valcotone

opdev - I'm convinced! Sounds like a keeper to me... tone, feel, it's all there!

12. opdev

opdev Member

I am 100% sold on wanting it. It's the damn rational guy I am telling me I'm out of my skull to spend this much on any guitar. The good news is, if I really purge my current gear it's doable. I becomes the "lots of cool stuff" vs "one really special instrument"

This youtube clip captures the tone of these pretty well I think

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4orfWFIbTsc

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  13. valcotone

Nice clip! There's an article on Matt Rae in the new VG magazine.

You know, that feeling of being out of your skull for spending that much $$$ goes away the more you play it! I bet you'll also end up focusing more on your playing , and learning that one guitar in and out... exactly to the limits of what it can do, than spreading your self around your gear collection getting different tones, etc.

14. opdev

opdev Member

I play NOTHING like him but that deep twangy bass is a good example of the tone.

15. straightblues

straightblues Member

Fist of all I would never want to talk you out of buying a piece of history. So if you can swing it go for it. I would make sure you like it, because I think that with the bad economy items like vintage guitars are going to come down. I don't see them totally crashing but I do see them coming down. So in the short term you probably won't be able to sell it for what you are going to pay for it now.

On another note, Don Mare pickups do a great job at capturing vintage tele tones. So much so, I stopped my quest for a vintage tele. I have played my new parts tele against lots of vintage stuff and have actually liked the tones coming out of my guitar better.

16. playon

playon Supporting Member

Is the bridge pickup original, or period correct original part?

17. opdev

opdev Member

original
    both pups
    bridge / saddles
    knobs / plate
    Ferrules
    Strap Buttons
    Body
    Neck

Period Correct
    Tuners
    Pots (switch I think)

Repro or new
    decal
    pick guard
    misc scrws (neck, pg and bridge)

18. opdev

opdev Member

Well, the lack of pickguard, case, decal has me a little nervous if I ever had to sell this.

For the same coin, I can get a well done '53 refin all straight except for 1 tuner and the original case. I think that sounds like a great player and a better buy.

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I remember seeing this on the TDPRI when Nacho posted it.

I wanted it then and still have the pics saved.
    If I could I would.

20. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Clive Brown does AMAZING work - no doubt !! :AOK

I think it LOOKS great - the rest is YOUR decision