Look at What Scott Lentz Did

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by artandink, Jan 27, 2008.

1. artandink

artandink Member

Scott, Ian and Scotty have done did it again.

From the Lentz site, in the words of Ian Anderson:

"I wanted to share one of the most striking looking guitars we have done in recent memory. This one features our newly reintroduced and engineered one piece maple neck with an 1-11/16 nut width. It has a different sound and response than the lam necks we are famous for. This is all in addition to some new pickups and electronics Scott has been working on.

Body: Uber light flamed ash with lots of "character", shot with Scott's roundup orange nitrocellulose lacquer. Vinatge style steel block trem and a celluloid nitrate backplate.

Electrics: Lexan pickguard back shot with metallic gold loaded with Lentz hand wound "S" pickups, Lentz custom spec pots, and a vintage paper in oil cap.

Neck: Our newly reintroduced One Piece neck. Lentz spec eastern maple thats been air dried with plenty of character and figuring. Skunk stripe and plug are mahogany. Finished in nitrocellulose lacquer with a satiny slick feel. Shape is 1" thick all the way down with a slight V. Our new 1-11/16" nut width. Bone nut, nitro lacquer, vintage style gotoh machine heads, and german 6105 fret wire."

Some eye candy -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice. . . very nice!

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

A new Pickguard color may be in order but otherwise a very sweet axe!

Can I ask 1 question though? What makes German Fretwire better? [​IMG]

3. matte

matte Senior Member

love the gretsch 6120 reference/colour scheme.
    [​IMG]

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Love Scott's body style and headstock...imo very original and yet evokes some tasty vintage flavor.

5. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that there won't be a pickguard change for this guitar unless a hole gets worn in this one.

I briefly owned a Lentz S style several years ago that I loved the tone of, but I was too ham handed to deal with the 1 5/8" nut size. This neck is a few hundreths of an inch wider than 1 11/16" and big enough to rest my hand on while my fingers are working. The flame is throughout the body and really doesn't show up very well in the photos. The color is ORANGE, very much so and beautiful. Neck has some flame also.

The tone of this guitar is very big! Great definition between all of the switch positions, great clarity at modest volumes all the way into P90 territory. You have to hear it to believe it. The middle pup is huge sounding as are the neck and bridge. I gigged this Friday and Saturday night and we played an old Allman Bros. favorite. Whippin' Post would demand an LP, but the SSL on the bridge pup with a little tone rolled off was big and badass. Some friends in the audience who are LP guys even had to admit it was a new tone, but a good one for that tune.

This is a fantastic guitar. Oh yeah, 5 lbs. 15 ounces on my digital fish scale. No bathtub route. Artie, this one is in the stand next to me. I gotta go.

Ned

6. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Nice! - Reminds me of this Grosh I accumulated a few moons ago.
    Nitro Honey-Burst over light weight 1 piece Ash with Maple Neck.
    = Pay no attention to the 66 Deluxe Reverb and Telefunken U47.
    [​IMG]

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

I played Buddy Whittington's Lentz one day for about 5 minutes and fell in love with it. Of course Buddy makes it sing a lot better than I do but what a beautiful guitar. I would love to get one some day. The OP's is a beauty BTW - Have a ton of fun with her!!!!

b

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

I'd hit that!

I'm guessing it's not for sale.

9. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

THAT is one great looking guitar.
    Go get playing !!!!!

Pete

10. n.j.

n.j. Member

Gorgeous. I'm not even a strat fan and that's incredible.

11. fender23

fender23 Member

Anytime I see "Scott Lentz" in a thread title, I know something really coooool is about to be shown or shared.
    Post a clip when ya' can!

12. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Pretty interesting grain in the body.. Swampy

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

stunning...it jumps out of the picture...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. clint

clint Member

Ned: Just curious with ash that light, how is the bottom end? I always thought the super light ones may be missing that low end chunk but would be interested in how this one compares. Sure looks spectacular!!

15. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Scott built me the best S Style neck that I have ever played.
    Everything that comes out of that shop is magic.

16. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

German fretwire is the hardest stuff this side of stainless steel. Wears slower and feels better.

17. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

The German wire is consistant in shape and size. You don't have to level it as much, and seats very well due to the flat bottom. I haven't noticed it to be harder than Japanese wire which is also good stuff, but I'll go with it. :)

18. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I've gigged with this thing 3 times in a week and the bottom is part of what makes this thing so darn unreal. I've used a Maz Jr. w/Tone Tubby and it's all there Clint. Not missing a thing. This takes some getting used to in that the tone is massive either clean or otherwise. It hits you almost physically and at the same time cuts.

19. clint

clint Member

Wow, that's amazing that a guitar so light can sound so big! Glowing testament to Scott's work. I'm totally happy with his earlier S models but this one has me itching again for a new one. You are one lucky guy to land such a beautiful axe!

20. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Thanks and yes, I am pretty lucky that my wife likes my playing and Scott remembers some stuff from long ago. This is a very cool guitar and the body shape and one piece neck in the wider spec is comfortable as heck. Thanks Scott, S Jr. and Ian. I love this thing.