Look what this guy did.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TheAmpNerd, Mar 5, 2006.

1. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

2. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-VINTAGE-ALL-TUBE-BLACKFACE-AMP_W0QQitemZ7394195893QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

-Yes... They certainly do...

-What reason is that? Because you have no clue what you are doing?

Look closely at his shielded cable. He neither shrink wraps the free end nor terminates the ground end.

If your wondering what 47.7 in on his DMM, he's measureing bias voltage...

BK

3. thecajunboy

thecajunboy Member

4. brad347

brad347 Member

oh. my. lord.

That looks terrible. I'm no amp tech but I can recognize shoddy work when I see it. Sort of makes me feel blessed that the only thing that was wrong with my recent deluxe purchase was the weird filter cap job...

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I wondered that at first, but it's definitely not the same amp - the pattern of rust and solder joints on the chassis don't match.

This is the kind of thing that scares folk off techs and servicing their amps, and rightly or wrongly drives the price of 'all-original' ones up. At least if you do buy an all-original one, you have the opportunity to service it properly and sensitively, rather than "Every single thing has been renewed". You might as well not have a vintage amp at all if you're going to take out all the old parts whether they're bad or not... idiot.

IMO you should change ONLY electrolytic caps and maybe carbon-comp screen resistors as a matter of course, and leave everything else alone unless it's actually failing - eg resistors become badly noisy, or coupling caps leaking DC. Drifted values do not count.

There is also IMO a certain standard of care and neatness required in professional workmanship, which that amp falls short of.

Just my opinion.

6. brad347

brad347 Member

john phillips... the old American expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sums it up quite nicely! :D

7. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

what's with the $19.00 ratshack meter! A Very impressive array of diognostic test equipement that alone would make me feel real good about pulling the trigger on that amp! I think thats a serius case of amp abuse in the other pics

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

That's shame...somebody stop him!

9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

10. brad347

brad347 Member

I noticed that too. I only have an inexpensive meter myself, but I don't call myself a "tech," and all I use it for is to bias my amps.

This isn't a restoration. I call it a de-storation.

Also, this is just a petty potshot, but the guy can't spell either. "Componants?" Come on. Who would take this guy seriously?

11. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I'd avoid this guy for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which is his cheesy hucksterism. His spelling and punctuation indicate a lack of attention to detail (not to mention what is perhaps a 6th grade education). The workmanship is fairly shoddy and amateurish and he seems to have posted a hodge-podge of pictures from different amps in different stages of rebuilding.You don't know what you're bidding on. Caveat emptor...and that goes double on Ebay.

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Don't be put off by the cheap meter - it's actually perfectly adequate for working on an amp (as long as its voltage ratings are high enough)... guitar amps are not exactly sophisticated or high-precision appliances. I use one quite like it myself, for several reasons, none of which are that I think it's a 'great' meter - mainly that it's small, so it goes in my field toolbox easily; and cheap, so if something nasty does happen to it, it won't hurt me much to just buy another.

(That said, if I was taking photos of my work I'd probably use one of my cool and very high-quality vintage AVO meters :).)

What you should be put off by is the slightly untidy fitting of the parts - wobbly lead wires, some crusty-looking solder joints etc. It's not the worst I've ever seen but I would want to redo all that neatly to factory standards. I know it makes no difference electrically - that's not the point, it just shows less than the highest standards of care and workmanship.

(edit) Ah... I just looked at the guy's website. If you look a the pic of the bias mod, labeled "After Modification to a pre-cbs true Bias control circuit", you can see the junction between the resistor, the cap and a wire is not on a tag or terminal - just unsupported in the air. That's completely unacceptable even if the neatness aspect doesn't bother you. (The correct way to do this is to turn the pot round so the resistor will reach directly to the other terminal on it without needing the wire. Very simple.)

13. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Look under the "questions from other members" section. Some poor guy in Sacramento wants to send him 5 blackface Bassman amps for service. God, it turns my stomach. Is there any way to warn him? Somebody save those Fenders!

The horror...

14. Big Dan

Big Dan Member

Holy Crap! That is horrible. The solder work is just awefull! Melted wires, cold joints..yuk! And why on God's Earth would you replace the original blue Mallory caps?

I agree though, those pics are of at LEAST two amps. The nice '67 Bassman is cherry condition! Every cap is original and looks great except it needs the filter caps replaced. I would almost pay the $525 for *that* amp, as-is. The other "restored" amp is NOT the same amp. The rust spots around the doghouse are different! Plus, the wiring is very different in the "multi-meter" pic, isn't it? It is bound with that red-ish wire. No way those are the same amp.

I would bet anything you would be getting the orange drop special if you win that auction.

Dan

15. thecajunboy

thecajunboy Member

Guess I botched the call on the pics. I didn't take the time to inspect closely as you guys obviously have. I shoulda known that would happen. Good discussion here About restorations though. I'll be asking about a Tremolux in a new thread.

16. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Some of the worst lead prep I've seen on Orange Drops!

This fellow needs to find another line of work...

I see why I have so much business!

No doubt there'll be a worse example soon- it was always thus...
    (I recall the "Pre-CBS Black Face Twin" that was a mid 70's SF with Master Volume on Flea-bay. I wrote the woman and gently told her that she ought to know that her "expert" was wrong about the date of the amp. She wrote back "If you're not bidding it's none of your ****ing business".)
    OOPS! I was just trying to be helpful...

No doubt there will be further outrages-

Jon

17. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Yikes. If someone can't spell "components" properly it really makes you wonder. Would you trust a surgeon who couldn't spell "scalpel" ?

DJ

18. chuby galoso

chuby galoso Member

look on the bright side, at least he left the carbon resistors in the power supply. and now it sounds as whatever as a kendrik or something.

19. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

That's a might good testament to the wonders of E-bay. Crap that most people would have had a hard time selling at a garage sale now is being bid on by unsuspecting and mis informed people around the country.

Scott :JAM

20. AL30

AL30 Member

I'd have to agree with most everyone here. I don't see a reason to replace everything in the amp. Electrolytics and some resistors in trouble areas -but not everything, it just seems unnecessary (and excessive) to me.

About that circuit. Did Fender make an AA165 in 1967?? That's the last of the Blackfaces. I thought by that time they were AB165 circuits. It's my understanding that the AA165 is kind of rare - all the more reason NOT to "re-store" it. Or at least not "re-store" like that.

AL