Lookin' for a new combo- help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Feb 12, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

In the next few months I'll be in the market for a new combo that I'd like to use at home, out w/the band, at practice, and in the studio. I want something either in a 1x12 or 2x12 format, and something with no more than 2 channels. I need the amp to have an awsome clean sound, and to also have an amazing overdrive/distortion sound. I don't care if I have to crank it to get the goods. It should also be able to take pedals well. Reverb isn't needed, although it would be nice. Lastly, I'd like it if it had enough head room to atleast keep up with a loud drummer at practice. So far I've been looking into the following amps:

Louis Electric KR12- Seems to be the best amp for Keith tones :rolleyes: something that I've always dug. It also seems to have quite good cleans, and is said to sound huge for a 1x12. Also, I've been told that it takes pedals well.

Xits amps- I'm not sure which of the models I'd be looking at, but one of the 15/30 watt models, most likely. These guys are a fairly new company, and I haven't read much about them on here. Based on the clips I've heard, these sound awsome. They also have good cleans, awsome overdrive, and take pedals well....

Kingsley Tonebaron or Deluxe 32- Kingsley amps are a Canadian company who are making some very cool vox style amps, but they're alot more than that. They have some of the nicest cleans I've heard, some awsome OD tones and also take pedals well.

Please come in and tell me about other combos that you feel would suit my needs. For the record, I've got an awsome combo at the moment- a JMI AC-15 Twin, but for live and at practice, it just isn't cutting it for me w/ regards to clean headroom. That's not the reason I bought it, though, so no worries.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Cheers,

Marko M.

2. highgeer

highgeer Member

Rivera Venus 6

Mike

3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

2 Channel amp, LSC. 1 channel of some of the best tone around Goodsell, either the 5/17 or one of the 33watt models which will give you the headroom you may need for a LOUD drummer. IMO

4. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W. Gold Supporting Member

You will hear it alot on this board :horsebut I think depending on exactly what you mean by clean and overdrive/distortion The Budda Superdrive II 30 combo could be in the competition.
    They are very light, the Budda Phat 12 is a great speaker and most budda owners agree it is a match made in heaven, or at least nirvana :rotflmao

I think the the clean can have a sort of Voxiness and with some eqing I can get Chris Isaac start tones with some reverb and vibe, in the fender vein. I wont lie to you and say this amp sound like every great amp ever with some eqing but, I feel like I can get an tones that are more than enough to pass on stage as being those amps. Just the other day a guy came up to me after a show and asked what amp I was playing because he said one song sounded like Chris isaac, and with a guitar change I had a Marshall. The drive channel can do a marshallesque crunch, and with the modern switch you can get more modern tones. I dont think the modern tones are like a Mesa Boogie but its in that direction.

All that said its a very unique little amp, and the 1x12 combo can give most people enough bottom end. Its not a 4x12 but it is musical.

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

OrangeAD30TC brings up some good points. What kind of cleans? What kind of distortion. There are so many channel switching combos out there that fit that description - this thread could become several pages long.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

FYI, It doesn't have to be a channel switcher...

That said, I'd like the cleans to be along the lines of my Bruno UG30 (fender/vox), and the distortion to be along the lines of a plexi, a tweed and a vox. I'd like the amp to be able to get pretty high gain (but not bogner or diezel style high gain).

Does anyone have any experience with the amps I listed? :)

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

so anyone have experience w/ the above amps?
    or anyone know of another amp that could do this job?
    It'd be cool if the amp had like half power feature, even though I'd never use it :)

8. es125luv

es125luv Member

you all know it was only a matter of time until someone mentioned it.. so I will...

Genz Benz Black Pearl...

8, 15, and 30 watt settings, reverb, one channel, but great cleans and great drive, recording monster..........

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

sorry, but I've had a *terrible* experience w/ Genz Benz amps on more than one occassion during LIVE gigs. If it was in the studio, at home or whatever, it would be "okay" (not really, though), but during a LIVE performance (and MORE than once), forget about it. Sorry. Maybe you've had a good experience w/ them, and if so that's great and all the more power to you, but ain't ever goin' near one again. Cheers.

M.

10. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

11. es125luv

es125luv Member

wow. which model was it?

pm me, I'm interested, and do not want to hijack this thread.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've never even heard of them. I popped on the thread to see if I could help, but it doesn't look like it.

Bryan

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

You can still recommend a combo that fits the criteria :)
    You haven't heard of any of those? :confused:
    Maybe a princeton reverb would do me right? :D
    Hi Bryan! how are ya'?

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

My first thought based on your original post was a Bogner Shiva, but it looks like you are after more of a Vox sound. I can't really think of any channel switching Vox style amps, though a DC/30 could be a lot of fun with an A/B box.

Honestly, no.

I love mine, but not for loud use if you need cleans. Not very Voxy, either.

Great. I just restrung my square-neck resonator and have been having fun with it. Now I'm off to teach a guitar lesson.

Bryan

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

alessandro working dog rottweiler has amazing cleans, is VERY light (36 lbs?!) and gives nice grind/breakup at LOOOOOOOOOUD volumes. takes pedals like a mofo. I use pedals for the high gain shizzle. . . cmatmods brownie with mods for fr8_trane plus a Timmy is the marshall in a box i've waited for . . . forever. . . i'm sure your bjf can getcha there though. . .

. . . reverb is NOT as wet as the fender/bruno camp though. . .

carry that bitch up and down stairs with EASE.

. . . can't get past 9 oclock much on the volume . . . and has a final output control. . .

. . . most incredible find in the amp dept for me. . .

. . . i'm done. . . until i get a roadie and some old vibrolux amps . . . and some supers and twins. . .

by the way. . . did i read that you got to try a huckleberry? what did you think?!?!?!

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks Bryan! You know what, I hadn't thought of a DC30 'till you just suggested it. Those are cool amps, and yeah, I would have some fun w/ one! BTW, it doesn't HAVE to be a switcher, I actually prefer single channel non-MV amps, I just thought it'd be more convinient for gigs and stuff to have a switched. Normally, I'd never want one. Have fun w/ the listen!

Orogeny, excuse me, but did you say 36lbs.... and a COMBO? Is that even possible? how? I don't believe you :D That's like the Nicole Ricci of amps if what you say is true, man.

17. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

Rivera. I have an S120. The Venus 6 looks pretty cool.

18. TIG

TIG Member

Big Rivera fan here, My Fandango does the fender/ marshall thing well...The new venus 6 sounds great and I think is closer to the vox vibe. The venus 3 also looks good, although I have yet to try one out.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I speak the honest truth. . . as always, little canuk :-D

Cube 60 in one hand and a rott in the other. . . hard to say which weighs more. . .

go do the harmony central on ALL the rottweiler stuff. 1X12, 2X10, the head, a 2X12/2X8 . . . very LOVED amp by the folks who play them. . . he actually works about an hour from here. . . but i got mine from california!

Like I said. . . THE workhorse of all amps. . .

36 pounds. Just a hair more than my blues junior. . . with about 5 times the headroom. . . and at least 50 percent larger. I have no idea how he does it, and it has a weber classic alnico in it ta boot. . . exact height of my drri. . about a 1/2 inch less in width, and two inches deeper. . and STILL lighter. . . and kills with voxy grind at higherdon'tstandinfrontofthespeaker volumes.

alessandro rottweiler. go find one. thank me later. hand wired ptp . . all that goodness. . .

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

bump for more suggestions :D
    Like I said, I'd like the amp to have a fender clean (maybe a bit of vox even!), and marshall meets tweed meets vox overdrive sounds. I like amps like that :)