• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking and Pick Ups and there are (2) Sizes 50mm & 53mm

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Bridge and neck pickups.

String spacing is slightly wider at the bridge. Kind of a modern thing. Back in the day, pickups were all the same size and randomly put in bridge or neck positions.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Those are string spacing at the bridge pickup. Gibson traditionally used 50mm on their humbuckers, but Fender used a wider string spacing so many pickup manufacturers offer "F-spacing" (the wider option) to line up the poles better with the strings.

Slaphappy

Those are string spacing at the bridge pickup. Gibson traditionally used 50mm on their humbuckers, but Fender used a wider string spacing so many pickup manufacturers offer "F-spacing" (the wider option) to line up the poles better with the strings.

Looking for a bridge for a PRS SE Santana

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
Bridge and neck pickups.

String spacing is slightly wider at the bridge. Kind of a modern thing. Back in the day, pickups were all the same size and randomly put in bridge or neck positions.
Different string spacing isn’t some recent thing.

Ferg Deluxe

Dude, seriously? That’s what you came away with? Obviously, I was referring to manufacturers building pickups with different string spacing for bridge pickups versus neck pickups. That didn’t use to be the case back in the 50s and 60s.
Cool! Let’s investigate what you said, and see if I came back with the wrong idea. This is fun.

So, what do we have…

So, no. I didn’t misunderstand. You said that string spacing is slightly wider at the bridge, immediately followed by “kind of a modern thing.”

Well, no. It’s not. At all.

Then you said back in the day pickups were all the same size, which is also not the case. Fender spacing has been different from Gibson spacing for a long time, and pickups were factually not the same size back in the day.

Maybe you meant to say that aftermarket pickup makers started making different spacing after a while, and that for a time they weren’t as readily available, but that is clearly not what you said.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Both Gibson and Fender typically used the same spacing at the neck and bridge on most models - as indeed they still do. There were exceptions, such as the J-bass, but most of their guitars with conventional single-coils or humbuckers did have the same spacing at the neck and bridge. The idea of "trem-spaced" or "F-spaced" humbuckers is indeed a relatively recent idea.

Steely Dave

Cool! Let’s investigate what you said, and see if I came back with the wrong idea. This is fun.

So, what do we have…

So, no. I didn’t misunderstand. You said that string spacing is slightly wider at the bridge, immediately followed by “kind of a modern thing.”

Then you said back in the day pickups were all the same size, which is also not the case. Fender spacing has been different from Gibson spacing for a long time, and pickups were factually not the same size back in the day.

Maybe you meant to say that aftermarket pickup makers started making different spacing after a while, and that for a time they weren’t as readily available, but that is clearly not what you said.
No, you misunderstood HARD.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
lol This thread…
Indeed, lol.
It seems there is always someone who wants to argue a point in order to prove their vastly superior insight and wisdom ...

I remember hearing, once upon a time, that it is better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to ...

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member

So, what do we have…

Holy ****, homey. You’re trying to argue that I think that string spacing used to be the same at the bridge saddles as it was at the nut? You actually think someone who bothered to join TGP and be an active member for 17 years would argue that?

Also, he was talking humbuckers, not Fender single coils, hence the 50 mm vs. 53 mm which is an option provided for humbuckers by certain manufacturers. Maybe you could point me to a company offering single coils with those options?

And again, humbuckers were spaced the same back in the 50s-60s.

Try to keep up, ese.

Sorry, I didn’t turn out to be as ignorant as you’d hoped. Keep at it though, you seem to like to argue so we may get another chance to do this again sometime.

:dude

Ferg Deluxe

You’re trying to argue that I think that string spacing used to be the same at the bridge saddles as it was at the nut?
I didn’t imply you said anything about spacing being the same at the nut and bridge. And there’s nothing about the OP that mentioned humbuckers.

The OP asked about the difference in spacing and what it represented. You mentioned that it was a “modern thing” which seemed to imply that having a choice between spacing was somehow new. I just mentioned that it isn’t.

That’s the only point I was trying to make. I didn’t bring up nut spacing, or single coils vs. humbuckers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom