Looking at a Gibson with headstock repair.........

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
Going to check out a Gibson with a headstock repair tomorrow.

What should I be looking for?
Functioning truss rod?
What else?

jlb32

If it plays, feels and sounds great at a headstock repair price then go for it. Otherwise walk away.

Headstock repairs greatly reduce the value of the guitar, regardless of how good the repair is. If they don't want to bargin then leave it. To many mint used out there to pay full or almost full price for one with a broken headstock repair.

Da Geezer

If the price is right, go for it

I paid $1k for this 2003 Standard with 10 year old repair...I knew it was stable

Plus, it's my dream finish

index.php

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
1989 62 RI SG. Price to be negotiated as far as I'm concerned. It has some other very visible cosmetic damage too. If it wasn't local I'd never have given it a second look. Going rate in a good one seems to be about 1400/1500. If it's a player, and it's solid, I'm in for the right price. I'm also fully prepared to walk.

I know people have scored some nice guitars with stable repairs and some here would never be in the same room with such a monstrosity. I'm interested in what the signs of a solid or not so solid repair.

Da Geezer

IMO, a good repair should be clean (no filler or chunks missing) and be barely visible (but still BE VISIBLE)

Here's mine...looks even better now after I used a red fine tip sharpie on the seams and polished over it several coats (but it's still clearly visible when closely inspected)

index.php

And yes, I would make sure the truss rod works as expected

Like has been said, get a huge discount over normal used value

Last edited:

Texsunburst59

I picked up my '77 Gibson LP Deluxe for $750 w/ OHSC . I had a cracked headstock,and I had my local guitar guy repair, and he did an amazing job.

Here's the before:

2013-02-07_11-56-06_926_zps24837fc6.jpg

Here's the after:

12545248625_ee2045e63f_k.jpg

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
Turns out there was a small stable crack in the neck and no previous repair. However, at some point in its life it appears that it was smashed ala Townsend/Cobain. The neck was broken off the body, then after the bridge fell off, the body was repeatedly slammed into something which left huge divits on the face.

It was put back together a long time ago. Not a pretty job, but it's stable. Old old Seth Lovers installed, played killer with no buzz, stable tuning, low action, working truss rod. Appears to have legit playwear, but good frets and generally maintained.

The price was right and I brought home a "rescue" SG. I'm going to take it to my tech for a onceover once the temperature warms up a bit. May or may not address cosmetics, we'll see. Playing the hell out of as is for now. Pics to come later.

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member

Ncp10

Nice. If I had it, I'd be masking cracks well and carefully wicking in thin superglue. This is tricky and involves removing tape right away and dealing with finish. If those are just finish cracks and don't open, I'd leave it alone.

paulbearer

Glad they got to put humpty back together again. Many of those wounds are typical sg.
Looks like an ex-wife revenge act.
Sounds like you got it for a steal though, congrats!

I have a real '61 LP/SG I got at GC with similar repairs for under $1K. Looked like Duane Allman threw it across the tour bus.

At some point I'm selling my LP/SG Olympic White/Maestro Historic if your addiction continues!

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
Glad they got to put humpty back together again. Many of those wounds are typical sg.
Looks like an ex-wife revenge act.

You may be right. My Townsend theory is pure speculation as I cannot imagine another scenario where the body would sustain that severe of damage without the bridge. An ex-wife and a hammer is certainly a possability.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom