Looking at a used 2010 es-335. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Varc, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Varc

Varc Member

Hey everybody. First post here, I found the forum while searching for information about this used Gibson ES-335 I've been looking to purchase for $2000 and I'm going to try it out tomorrow night. Seller says he's selling because he prefers the '59 neck profile and also owns a '58 VOS reissue. I owned a Les Paul traditional for a couple of years that I ended up selling for a '61 reissue SG now that just wasn't doing the trick for me. Anyway, I've been playing the odd 335 I've been able to find in the local stores, but I'm still not too familiar with them so I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be looking for in terms of production quality or anything along those lines.

Here's a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I am certainly no expert but... a friend of mine was in market for a 335 a while back. We went to the local "Gibson" store here in town and played 5-6 of them. The quality was all over the map. That being said I would just look for fit and finish issues. Second, I'd check to see if there wasn't anything that a good set up couldn't fix. Third you got to like a 60's slim taper neck. I don't. I'm not looking for boat back either but I don't like a skinny neck. Other than that they can be incredible guitars.

3. Varc

Varc Member

Thanks for the input. I'll keep a heads up for the first two things, and it already looks like the finish is a little off on the horn closest to the camera in the second pictures. As for your third point, the Les Paul I owned had the 50's neck and the SG had the 60's. While I preferred the tone of the LP, I definitely liked the 60's neck on the SG more. And the 335's I've played seem to be the best of both worlds and then some, I'm just really trying to avoid picking up a lemon as I've heard the same thing about the quality being really hit or miss.

4. pattste

pattste Member

I have an identical guitar except mine is from 2006. This is a ES-335 Dot Reissue from the Memphis Custom Shop (there are many variations and it can be confusing). They have the 60's slim taper neck. Mine has been my number one since I bought it in July 2006. Great, great guitar.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have a 2011 I just bought and the neck is far from skinny( and I prefer 50s necks).I love my Les Paul ,but the 335s just kick its butt. 2k is a decent deal for a gently used one.