Looking at an older Gibson ES-175

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by open strings, Feb 3, 2015.

1. open strings

open strings Member

I'll be meeting up soon with a guy about his 1985 ES 175. I did a search of TGP and found that very interesting and helpful.

My question is what should I look out for with this guitar? Anything with the year, the model, hollow body electrics in general. Anything that would help me evaluate a guitar like this. I've been playing for over 30 years but this is my first experience with a guitar of this type.

If it's ok to ask, what would be a fair price range. Condition is described as excellent.

Thanks for any help.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

With any hollowbody guitar the first thing I look at is the neck heel and whether there appears to be any separation. Also ask if the neck has ever been reset. Lots of older semi hollow guitar eventually need a neck reset. Also look for any cracks in the body or binding separation. Other than that just see how it plays.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Those guitars are generally well built, not as good as the modern versions, or the 60s, but good. The neck profile and width of the fingerboard vary a lot, and it's something you should be aware of-does it play well for the kind of stuff you play. Pickups are pretty consistent in that era, you either love them or not but you shouldn't be surprised by how they sound.

4. open strings

open strings Member

thanks. That's helpful.

anything else from others?