Looking at buying a used UA LA610MK2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Hefalump, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Great to hear!

Looking forward to trying it out.

2. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Awesome!!!

3. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Well, CRAP: Called Sweetwater back because I didn't get confirmation email......the Rep tells me that they just stopped all international shipments today......which sucks for me.....

SO, no one in Canada has a Daking mic one in stock.

So I have a Great River single channel on hold and I am also considering a ISA one........someone on GS did a blind shootout between GR/ISA/Warm and the ISA was the unanimous winner......and it is half the price of the GR???????

So........I thought I had this figured out and done....wrong.......so please share your thoughts on the Great River vs Focusrite ISA.

Thanks Fellas, and have a Great Weekend.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Bummer. I don't have hands on experience with both but The ISA One and the Great River are different designs. The Great River has input and output transformers, and an output trim that can attenuate so you can saturate the input for more color/distortion if desired. The ISA One doesn't have that attenuation, although it has other handy functions like a DI thru, and you can use DI and mic inputs simultaneously.

I've yet to get my hands on a great river, but they seem like rather different things (insofar as preamps can be different).

Hefalump likes this.
  5. jmoose

jmoose Member

All three of those, the Daking, Great River or ISA are great. Flip a coin... If you can't make a really solid recording with any of them then its not the equipment.

If someone put a gun to my head I'm slightly partial to the Great River since the company I used to work for was highly involved with its design... and its made in the USA if that matters vs the ISA which is overseas.

I also love my Daking 52270 pre/EQ which was Geoff's original design based on a Trident A Range... haven't been too many sessions I've done in the last zillion years where they didn't get used. I'd LOVE to find another pair but they're super rare. People who own them don't sell them and they tend to be mega expensive when they do come up.

Really though, I'd be stoked to walk into a studio and see any of them hanging around.

riker4208, OctalSocket and Hefalump like this.
  6. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

We frequently visit St.Paul/Minneapolis.......great great place! So the fact that GR is made there...warms my heart.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020