• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Looking at changing out my Fender Pro Junior, any suggestions?

SeanLaurent

I'm currently running a 60s Original Series Strat through a Fender Pro Junior.

It's honestly a little too loud for what I need.. I'm just playing in my bedroom.
So I'm looking at changing/upgrading.

I'm after that John Mayer Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Lenny/Man On the side tone.

Should I go with a THR10 or a Katana?

Should I go with a Twin Reverb and an attenuator? Or something else + an attenuator?

Any suggestions?

A store near me (Ireland) is selling a Ceriatone SSS with a cab for €2000.. I won't have that kind of cash for a while but would it be worth saving for?

It's honestly a little too loud for what I need.. I'm just playing in my bedroom.

I'm after that John Mayer Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Lenny/Man On the side tone.

Should I go with a Twin Reverb and an attenuator? Or something else + an attenuator?

Any suggestions?

A store near me (Ireland) is selling a Ceriatone SSS with a cab for €2000.. I won't have that kind of cash for a while but would it be worth saving for?
The pro junior sound is a long way from a clean sparkly Fender thing that JM uses. The 68 deluxe reverb would be nice for that tone. Katana does it pretty well too. Ultimate for bedroom use would be something like a Kemper into a very good powered speaker

If you have to have tubes on a budget I’d say the AC10 as mentioned above or blues jr’s can get you there, maybe even the bugera v22. If you don’t care about tubes then check out a fender mustang. Ampeg also has/had some great offerings that get into some of these zones.

Thinline_slim

The pro junior sound is a long way from a clean sparkly Fender thing that JM uses. The 68 deluxe reverb would be nice for that tone. Katana does it pretty well too. Ultimate for bedroom use would be something like a Kemper into a very good powered speaker
No kidding! Certainly the most un-Fendery Fender I have but I love it for it. I ended up putting a Swart Nightlight Jr in mine.

if the Pro is “too loud” I would steer FAR away from getting a huge amp like the Twin with an attenuator, unless you need your amp to be able to gig as well as using it at home.

I’d think playing through a Deluxe Reverb at a local music store would probably give you a good idea on volume, if you have that available. I play the hell out of my Princeton Reverb RI too but I turn it up pretty good so it’s not clean.

LordByron

The Dude abides!

Any suggestions?

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb are both amazing (I have the TMDR and have played the TMTR several times) and the power scaling on them is brilliant. Sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for.

(Although an AC10 is a killer low volume amp too.)

Guitartim

Not to sound like a wise ass, but if your Pro Jr. is too loud for bedroom levels, have you tried turning down the volume on your guitar? Set the amp volume at the edge of break-up, or find the sweet spot between amp and guitar and you'll be amazed how good your tone can be.

LagunaMan

I set volume of my pro jr. between 2 and 3 at home for cleans and it's not too loud. I also run dirt pedals in front and the tone is great. Tube amps tend to warm up digital distortion pedals so they don't sound so harsh. I also have a vht special 6 ultra which can run dirty at bedroom volume without a dirt pedal. I think the easiest is to have a clean tube amp and run a dirt pedal into it. So I would either stay with the pro jr. or get a vht special 6 (non-ultra) and run all your effect pedals in the front. That would be the easiest home setup imo. The advantage of pro jr. is that it can be gigged as well.

SeanLaurent

Not to sound like a wise ass, but if your Pro Jr. is too loud for bedroom levels, have you tried turning down the volume on your guitar? Set the amp volume at the edge of break-up, or find the sweet spot between amp and guitar and you'll be amazed how good your tone can be.
I keep it at around 3, which is fine but I'm missing out on that 'tubey' goodness.
I can't get any break up at that level, and I can't turn it up louder (no mater how much I want to)

SeanLaurent

I set volume of my pro jr. between 2 and 3 at home for cleans and it's not too loud. I also run dirt pedals in front and the tone is great. Tube amps tend to warm up digital distortion pedals so they don't sound so harsh. I also have a vht special 6 ultra which can run dirty at bedroom volume without a dirt pedal. I think the easiest is to have a clean tube amp and run a dirt pedal into it. So I would either stay with the pro jr. or get a vht special 6 (non-ultra) and run all your effect pedals in the front. That would be the easiest home setup imo. The advantage of pro jr. is that it can be gigged as well.
I've been sticking a Marshall Guv'nor in front of the amp but I'm not a fan of how it sounds, I just happened to have that pedal lying about.

I'm really considering selling it and moving to a THR10 or something of that nature

Trending Topics