Looking at used Heritage H150 - help with price

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWK, Mar 6, 2008.

1. JWK

JWK Member

Hey all, I just stumbled on a used Heritage H150 gold top in a local store today. I went back to the office and dated it from the Heritage web site. It's a '95. The thing is pretty beat. It has a nasty, deep scratch (not showing wood) right by the pup selector and various dings and scratches over the entire guitar, including the top of the headstock. Some of the weird wear marks are down to the wood, like in the cutaway right next to the binding on the top. It has various dings and scratches all over the back of the neck. It plays well and sounds good. The bridge is the stock roller and the stop is stock, too.

I like this guitar as a player and would like to buy it, but I don't want to get hosed if in a few months I decide it's just not for me. How do you price these things? I don't want to get obsessive about the best bottom-feeder amount, I just want to get close if I have to dump it. I've given up thinking I can really get to know a guitar in a store, no matter how many times I try it out.

The guitar might be on consignment, I didn't ask yet. I've seen some really out there prices on used stuff with people just not coming down to a reasonable price. Store owners do that too sometimes, just not as much. That's why I want to go in armed with a bit of knowledge so I can just walk away if it's one of these cases.

Plus, I don't trust myself when I have GAS.

Any help with this?

2. rooster

rooster Member

Not sure how accurate this is, but if it's beat, I'd say a good price would be $700-800. I own 3 of them, but the resale on a Heritage is not quite what it oughta be, considering the quality. I see the 150's running about $1000-1100 these days, it was a bit lower last year, but people are starting to buy them. Also, check the weight if it's OK for you. With my 3, the heavier one has more brightness and chunk, the lighter one has more bloom and thickness to the sound.

Someone please correct me on the price, if you would. Just because I play them doesn't mean I know beans about the going prices...

rooster.

3. JWK

JWK Member

Thanks, rooster. That's about the price range I was thinking, but I'm not really up on used Heritage prices, either.

By the way, how did you mount your BL pickups? Did you use the original pup rings or modify the ones that came with the BL pups? As I understand it, all BL pup rings are for flat mounting.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

In the condition you describe I would say no more than $650. That to me would be cash out the door tax included; with the original case.

5. placebo62

placebo62 Supporting Member

You'd be lucky to get it that low. Although I have seen 150s in great condition go on ebay for around $850, so you might be lucky.

Recent guitars (2004 - 2006) in nice condition fetch around $1000-$1300

6. omni

omni Member

About 5 years ago I sold a amber 150CM with a 5A top in mint condition with case for 600 bucks.For some reason they really don't hold their value at all.I would say no more then 500 bucks.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Yup....I would not spend more than 500 if its as trashed as you say.

8. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I would say that $600 was a good price, even if it is really beat up. $500 seems low, but go for it..

By the way, I have a 90's Heritage 150 CM and it is a nice guitar. Snag a used one at the right price and you have one of the best values out there for a real old-fashioned American axe.

9. JWK

JWK Member

Guitar prices have changed tremendously in five years. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to be realistic. Anyone know what a new gold top goes for now?

10. slider313

There's a beautiful H150 in cherry sunburst on the bay with an opening bid of $899. and it's 9.1 lbs.

11. JWK

JWK Member

I saw that one. Unfortunately, I can no longer buy guitars before playing them. I don't have the time and money.

Speaking of ebay, I looked in the completed section and saw a mint gold top with voodoo pups that went for $1025. So the price in the shop is ludicrous. I'll go back and find out if it's a consignment or not. Too bad the thing sounds great and is so trashed...

12. omni

omni Member

I agree, but mainly Gibson and Fender.PRS also. If you can justify the price jump on it. I really wish I would have kept my 150CM. It was a nice guitar for the price. The headstock though...:(

13. squawken

squawken Member

The Vintage Guitar Price Guide calls for between $825 to $875. That being said it seems you can usually get them cheaper. Heritage's seem to be the most under-appreciated guitar on the market for prices. Just think, these are the SAME guys that built all those "legendary" Gibsons, back in the day. I have a 150 and a 140, and they are both awesome! If you want further advice you should check out HeritageOwnersClub.com. These guys on this forum are the most friendly, helpful people I have met on a forum. Good luck!

14. JWK

JWK Member

I know I am in minority here, but I happen to love that headstock. To me it is elegant. Go figure.

My wife is almost trying to talk me into getting it. She said, "If you keep the guitar, what's another $200?"

I said, "Yeah, that's a big fat IF. If I don't end up keeping it I'll get hosed."

And so it goes.

I went in again to look at it and the guy would only come down to $800 out the door with case.

15. JWK

JWK Member

Thanks for that link. I'll check that out.

16. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

800 is way too much imho....

17. JWK

JWK Member

Oh, I agree completely. You might pause on that thought if you heard it, though...

18. rooster

rooster Member

On the BL pickups, I used the ones that came with the pickups on one guitar, and the ones that came with the guitar on another, and a set of nickel plated ones on the third one. No real rule, they all work well.

As far as the price, the Heritage guitars have started to climb in resale. Much moreso than 5 years ago, that would've been the "prime time" to buy one used. Right now, $1k-1200 is pretty common for a 150 in really good shape. Regardless of what they tell you on this board, you can find out by looking at completed auctions. If they are going for under $900, there's usually something wrong with them (like the one with 3 straplock screws broken off into the body). As much as the Gobsin guys don't want to admit it, people are starting to find out that a Heritage is the equal to the G-stuff for a bit less money and a lot more, mmmm, what I would call "mojo". All 3 of mine play unbelievably well, no neck issues, no fret issues, and the sound is just "bigger" than any of my friends' LP's.

If the one you're looking at really plays well, and the sound is EXACTLY what you're looking for, then it might be worth the few extra bucks. The people who are saying $500-600, well, I want to know where those 150s are; I've got a spot on the rack for them right now.

+1 on the Heritage Owners Club. Nice people, and don't forget about TGP Emporium right here; I picked up a wonderful Sunburst for a GREAT price, and it is, as we speak, getting the sh%t played out of it. There are a lot of decent folks on this board with some nice instruments for sale.

Oh, you could also check with Jay Wolfe and see what he has used.

rooster.

19. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I would just buy on on eBay with a return option. $800 for a beat goldtop is going to be hard to recover if you decide to sell.

20. slider313

That's exactly the point. The asking price of $800. is high for the condition it's in. For $900.-$1100., you can get a beautiful 150. I said $650. and if anyone thinks that low for a beat to sh..t 150, then you buy it for $800.