looking back on the Bad Monkey (after thoughts)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aestus, Aug 19, 2005.

1. aestus

aestus Member

I remember a few months ago, the all analog TS clone made by Digitech call the Bad Monkey pedal was getting stark raving reviews on this board. There were 2 threads just absolutely praising this little box and many people were claiming that it was replacing their more expensive boutique TS clones and buying two of them because they were so cheap.

I was wondering, now that many people have had a few months to really play and use the Bad Monkey pedal, what their thoughts on the pedal are now. Is it still the miracle OD pedal for dirt cheap, or was it just a fad, or is it both. I'd like to know who still has kept the Bad Monkey on their pedal boards and why, and also would like to know who has since removed and replaced the Bad Monkey with something else and why.

Anybody have any sound clips of the bad monkey? I'd like to hear what people have done with the pedal.

Tom

2. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i still think for $39 it is somewhat of a baseline TS-type pedal by which all other should be compared (for performance and value)...I still have a couple but don't currently use them simply because a TS-type pedal isn't appropriate now for what i am doing...

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I checked one out at the store and was impressed with the sonics. But it didn't look like it was built that well so I passed. To bad because if Digitech had charged ten bucks more they could have put it in a sturdier box with a great switch and jacks. I wouldn't hesitate to gig with one in an emergency though.

Bob

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

I got one about a month ago, and still love it. Right now I am using it for a clean boost, but wouldnt hesitate to use it for OD either.

5. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I still use mine on a regular basis. I'm not convinced it really replaced anyone's $200 OD, but it is a really nice TS-flavored option. With the 2-band EQ, you can tame the mid-hump by bumping up the highs and lows, so that makes some TS haters happy.

6. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

It´s still a great pedal BUT I was quite surprised when people wrote that it "pissed all over" their boutique stuff :eek:

My Timmy is about twice the price - a little more actually - but 10 times better :dude

Still I love the Bad Monkey and will keep it "forever" :rolleyes:

7. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

Currently, I am using a Timmy, Tour Pro, OCD and the Bad Monkey. They all have a different sound for sure. The Bad Monkey can hang with any of the other 3 pedals mentioned. They can rotate according to my mood but right now the Tour Pro is the one I turn on the most, great pedal.

The Bad Monkey is still an excellent sounding pedal IMO.

I'm really happy with all 4 of these pedals but there has to be better out there. To stop the quest, you gotta be kidding :D

8. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I am still impressed by how good this pedal sounds for $39.
    It has been on my pedal board since I bought it several months ago. I prefer it to my Fulldrive II. YMMV

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I still think the BM is a decent OD pedal at a great price. It has been replaced on my board by an OCD (great OD at a decent price) for the time being but will remain as a backup.

10. MikeS

MikeS Member

I bought one within about a month of when they came out and I still like it a lot. It's not on my main board right now, but it still gets used a lot.

It's still a hit.

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

To add to this, I have found the BM to be incredibly versitile. for example, I got a backup small Marshall hybrid combo, that always sounded like my dog passing gas. But the BM actually makes it sound decent. Also, I mostly use it for a clean boost. By that I mean I prefer other OD's out there. But when I am playing my Paul and switch to say a Tele, instead of having to adjust both channells on my amp, I can now just hit the BM and go. Plus I can set it to add some low end to the single coil guitars to make them a bit fatter, without having to fuss with the amp. It's a cool toolbox for me.

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

Still like the Bad Monkey. I've taken it with me every time I've gone pedal shopping and each time have come back without buying anything. I find that while the boutique pedals can be a bit more transparent and have easier to use knobs, tonally I've been able to get close to them by tweaking the BM controls. So I don't really see much sense in spending 3-5 times as much on a boutique pedal for minimal improvements.

I use it mostly for a clean boost or just a little bit of gain and dig what the mid hump does to the tone. I like how the pedal is quite transparent and doesn't make the tone sound like the pedal but more like adds to the amp/guitar tone.

Has anyone started modding these yet, I wonder?

13. GzsMuzik

GzsMuzik Member

I took mine apart to see if true bypass would be an easy option. I don't think you'll see a lot of folks offering mods for this pedal. It may be analog, but there are mostly surface mount components inside.....

My Monkey never made it to my gigging board. It sounds good, but it's not versatile enough for me. Also, I could hear some loss of sparkle on the highs when it was bypassed. My G2D Custom OD stil rules the roost on my gigging board (going on three years now!!) :cool:

Where I use the Monkey the most, believe it or not, is for quick rehearsal into my PA. My 72 Thinline RI into the Monkey, out of the "mixer" output on the Monkey, into a Baggs Paracoustic DI, and then into the board. The Monkey adds to the quality of the sound, on or bypassed.

14. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I kept mine for 20 minutes. Didn't come close to my other lead pedals at the time (last year?) (lovepedal, V-S, DD, etc). Sounded like it had a blanket over it. Just goes to show how different folks have different needs and tastes in this realm.

jon

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

How much sturdier of a box do you want? This thing weighs more than the Boss pedals, the knobs feels smooth and sturdy and the switch seems on par with a Boss. Digitech also offers a 6 year warranty on these boxes. For $40, build quality is DEFINITELY NOT an issue for me (BTW have you looked at the build of Arion or Dano pedals in the same price range?:rolleyes:).

Anyway I still like my monkey as a cheaper and better alternative to the Ibanez TS. I can't speak for the boutique TS clones but to my ear the Monkey is clearly superior to the Ibanez offerings.

16. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

it's a still the main OD on my pedal board and lasted the rigors of constant airplane travel and live gigs. Very versatile and wotrks great with the variable quality of the backline amps that are provided......somehow I'm always able to get a decent tone despite the limits of the amplification provided.

17. blueprint

blueprint Member

You can't go wrong with a $39 pedal...
    I have one, and at some settings it can be compared with boutique pedals at 5 times it's price.
    Wether you'll like it or not is another story, but it's a keeper imho.

18. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I just got mine today and played live with it this evening. Jury's out. I have it, an OCD and an old 80's Ibanez Mostortion. It has a different character - definitely - than either of the others. But...I have to say...I don't care for Tubescreamer's. But this pedal so far I like.

I don't think it will displace the other 2 but I could be wrong. I'm still not 100% convinced I like the OCD.

Tonight I mostly used it for clean boost. I had the Gain all the way back. I need to play with it some to give a good opinion. But I have to say for 39 bucks it seems like a bargain right now.

And...I agree with what someone else said...how sturdy do you want it to be? Seems pretty solid to me. But I've never liked the game you have to play to get into the battery compartment on Digitech pedals.

jeffhef

19. ABKB

ABKB Member

Hey Jeffhef
    That's pretty much what I am using it for. But what I do is I got a Paul that is my main instrument, so when I switch to my Tele, instead of having to re-eq my amp with the Tele (or Strats, or my Dano 12 string) weaker pickups (said weaker not worse lol) I just hit the BM and I'm set. Using the BM I can also add a little bottom end to the single coils using it.
    I have a digitech synth wha I have been using for about a year now, never had a problem. Yeah, the battery compartment is a tad strange, but I run off Ac so it's never been a thing for me.
    The nice thing too about the BM is if you want it there for OD, you have it. Like you, I prefer other OD's, but it's a nice change of pace thing.

20. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Mine is still on my board....;)