Looking for /13 RSA 31 and JRT 9/15 Comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JKoeth, Mar 18, 2008.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I've got the 9/15 and am digging it. I use it with Fred's 2X12 F Cab with a Blue and a 70th Anniversary G12H30. Although, most folks seem to like the 6V6 side, I only use the EL84s.

For home use I run it with a Bad Cat Leash attenuator most of the time. I've got a crazy pedalboard and use it alot with my Tele.

Anyway, I've been wondering if the RSA 31 might be better for me but I've heard it is really really loud. Stu at Fat Sound told me it was louder than most AC30s for sure. I asked Fred what he thought about running it at at 1/2 power most of the time and he thought it was kinda pointless to have an amp that powerful and not use it to it's full potential.

It seems like it might be too much for me. What about using it with an attenuator?

I'd also like thoughts on the tonal differenced between the two amps.

Thanks!!

2. phalanges

phalanges Member

I love my JRT.
    A friend brought over a 31 and I was very impressed.
    Really organic transition, clean to break-up and very open sounding.
    I was surprised how chimey my PRS sounded, as normally, it's more compressed and chunky, even with the JRT.
    I would get one if I knew how to make money.

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Phalanges,

I remember reading some of your posts about the JRT. I love mine too.

Which is more compressed and chunky? I assume you meant the 31.

Could you get breakup at reasonable levels? What about with single coils?

Thanks!

4. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I think he meant his PRS normally sounds compressed and chunky. more chime with both D13's.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

6. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Why not get one of Fred's RSA31 combos with the master volume? I have one and it's fantastic. The cleans and edge-of-breakup tones are amazing, and can be had at very reasonable volumes. And when you want to rock, just crank the volume and dial in the master to where you need it. Lovely AC30ish roar with a fuller, tighter bottom, and a bit more gain too.

Great amp.

peace
    -jeff

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hmm...this might be the ticket.

Do you have a 2X12 combo with the Master volume? What speakers are you running with it? Does it have the click channel or is it a single? How good is the Master volume?

8. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I used my 31 on a little small club pickup gig last night. Even using it at lower volumes it still sounds great. Just goosed it a little with a pedal for dirtier stuff and it was beautiful. I used the clean channel around 11:00 on the volume.

9. hansoloist

It's a 1x12 combo with a vintage 30. No click channel, just the TMB side. Master works extremely well...but I much prefer it wide open.

peace
    -jeff

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Kenny,

Is yours the 1X12 combo with Master?

11. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

No, mine is a head with 2x12 cab, 2 blue Celestions. No Master. It was close for a while, but I think the 31 is edging out my FTR37 as my favorite. Both these amps just record amazingly well.

I don't think these amps are too loud for club gigs unless you need a lot of overdrive at a very low volume. The gig I took it to, the drummer was playing a cocktail kit and the singer played acoustic guitar. Live I play pretty clean these days and just use a pedal for more gain. The 31 takes pedals better than any of my amps.

12. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Thanks Kenny!

That really helps. I usually play with a little dirt from the amp and use pedals for more.

I hoping some folks can chime in and give some direct comparisons between the JRT and 31.

13. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I should also mention that I almost never use the RSA31 on half power. I also haven't really found an 18 or 20 watt amp that gets a big enough clean tone live so maybe I like a little more headroom than most. I took my London on that same gig before and I couldn't get a clean enough tone out of it so I imagine I would find the same with the 9/15. As another reference my FTR37 works great on this gig as well as a BF Bandmaster that I have. Most of the pedals I'm using are Pete Cornish pedals which I think tend to work better with a cleaner amp. I like the amp set where it's just getting a little hair on it when you dig in with the guitar volume maxed.

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Kenny,

I've got a Cornish TB83 Extra which is incredible! I friggin' love that thing.

I assume that you don't use the click channel that much? Some folks have said to go with the small box head (no click channel).

15. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Jeff,

I was wondering if the combo with Master comes in a 2X12. I really prefer the fuller sound of a 2X12. It's all I've used for years. Also, what was the price on it?

I can't find pricing on the combo with Master or the small box head with no click channel.

16. hansoloist

I got mine quite a while ago and, if I remember correctly, it was in the low/mid 2s. I'm not sure he makes a RSA31 combo with the master in a 2x12. Best thing to do is call and ask.

peace
    -jeff

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I spoke to Fred recently and he is making the RSA 31 Small box head (no click channel) with a Master Volume now. I've gotta look into this one!

Any more comparisons between the 9/15 and the 31?

I'd really appreciate it!