Looking for 1x12 combo or head+1x12 with....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NatDeroxL7, Jan 9, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I had to get rid of my Ecstasy because of my evolving situation with my future military career....in a nutshell, no more gigs, lots of travel, possible living situations where I can't play loudly...I just can't handle a 120watt head with less than wonderful master volume through a 4x12 anymore!

Things I loved about the XTC are the blue channel, plexi channel, and honestly, I really loved the red channel as well. Clean channel was perfectly fine but not 'loved'. The master volume sucked...IMO of course, so I just played LOUD, which was better anyways! I loved the way that the amp captured the raw Marshall power but with a liquid feel to it....really cool, I thought of it as a massive waterfall, liquid but powerful. It completely fit my playing style to a T. As you can see....I really loved that amp but I'm trying, for once in my life, to be practical and not try to live the 80s metal excessive lifestyle hahaha.

I am looking for a smaller (physical size) amp, price range $0.00 (if you want to donate!) up to $1700...really $1600 is the magic number but I've found being flexible really opens up the options.

Wattage doesn't matter if it has a great master volume or power scaling....Hell, the extra oomph might be nice to have on tap for those moments I can open it up. Shiva comes to mind, which would be cool because I could keep some of that Bogner flavor that I like, but I haven't found anything under $1800, and it seems like the 1x12 combos get snatched up so fast I never even have a chance to express interest. If anyone hears of a Shiva 1x12 combo, let me know, I think that is my best bet right now....Maybe I can let loose once more and front a couple extra hundred...

What other amps should I look at? I really do like having at least two channels....even though for home play its not at all necessary...I still can't wrap my mind around the idea of just 1 channel after having the 1.3 million buttons and switches on the XTC. I suppose that I would get used to it so I wont rule out 1 channel amps.

I have always had a hankering for Suhr Badger. I have alot of interest in the Guytron GT20, but can't find much info, nor one to play. I've had my eye on Soultone's stuff but that is now beyond my price point...maybe once my salary kicks in and I pare down my loans.

Regardless I'm gonna have a hard time transitioning from a monster amp to a more polite piece of kit, but such goes the ways of the world.

Thanks!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Genz-Benz Black Pearl 1x12" Combo

dk

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I sold my Ecstasy after I got a Star Amps Gainstar. It's definitely in boutique land price-wise. But they're still relatively unknown so you can buy used for a decent price.

2 footswitchable channels,
    seperate EQ's with a master on the gain side,
    global presence control.
    2-el34's, class A cathode biased.

The gain is really organic, kind of half-way between preamp dist. and power tube breakup.

Just my thoughts, it worked for me for life after ecstasy.

4. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Does Dr. Z make anything with hot-rodded marshall tones? I know nothing about his amps other than people here really appreciate the quality of the build and tone.

What about TopHat and Two-Rock, Matchless...I know BadCat makes some high-gain stuff?

Seems these amps get a lot of praise as well, but I don't really know what tonal / stylistic areas they cover.

The gain star looks really great too, hopefully I can find one to play or at least some clips.

thanks to all so far!

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Z has a 2 channel amp called a Galaxie.

I had one for a while, but sold it because I couldn't reconcile the volume differences between two channels -of course there's more to it than that..

Also I already had the gainstar.. you can't touch the cleans on that amp, it's like the jewel in Mark Sampsons Crown.

edit: I have the 112 gainstar, I wanted another 112 cab to sit under it so I bought an older matchless cab -near identical dimensions.

6. beej

beej Supporting Member

I had a GT20 and sold it in favour of a Badger head + cab.

The GT20 gain's channel was killer, but I wasn't so crazy about the cleans (too clean, no grit). Also preferred the flexibility of head + cab- often I can just take the head with me and it's dead light. But the GT20 is a great amp.

Downside is the Badger is 1 channel, but with a decent OD pedal (I've got a BB pre) you can get to crazy gain with no problems. And the thing can sound fully saturated at all volumes.

7. hardys

hardys Member

Bad Cat Hot Cat is two channel, although you need an A/B box to foot switch between the two inputs. Very nice, Matchless like clean channel and snarling OD channel. Lots of gain on tap if needed.

8. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Hey Nate, you may find a used shiva close to your range. The Koch Twintone II is a nice three channel amp. I've used mine for a lot of gigs and I do everything from new rock, funk, to 80's hair stuff. The budda sd30 combo may get you what you're after also. I've gigged with both budda and koch stuff and for extra oomph added an extension cab for bigger clubs.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The Roccaforte Rockie might be a good fit for you. British sounding, two input channels (one with a bit more gain), rocks hard at low volume, light weight, sounds really great with a 112, a 212, and a 412.

Incredibly well made, hand wired, very near your price range, blah blah blah. Great little amp.

I have one of these fellows, and it's very cool.

10. bartmcartman

One more thought Nate, call GC in Nashville and ask for the artist relations guy, I forget his name. They may have an egnater tourmaster combo. Could be worth checking out.

11. bartmcartman

12. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I played a HotCat today, 30R 1x12 combo.....the newer version where you can switch channels without A/B box, has an FX loop, mid boost switch, channel blending......

I think its the one. I could get many of my favorite sounds I had from my XTC, and the tone controls are so different from the XTC, I really loved playing with them, and I could get some stuff that I never could get from the XTC that were really cool. The channel blending feature is also freaking sweet. Master Volume worked extremely well, and I could crank the clean channel to get some nice crunch...really versatile and toneful amp.

Plus the 30 watts allows me to really open up and tear it up when I get the chance, and I could still play out if the opportunity arose.

I forget who suggested that to me...but damn, thanks, I didn't even know what a BadCat amp was before that!