Looking for 3-48x1.5" machine screws

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
I'm trying to install a pair of Gibson humbuckers on a Brian Moore guitar. Because of the closeness of the top to the strings, I have to lower the pickup beyond the 1.25" length of screw that was supplied with the mounting rings. The original Brian Moore pickup had a lip on it that was about 3/8" closer to the top of the bobben than the Gibson pickup. I notice that Dimarzio pickups are made in a similar way.

I've tried all the guitar parts stores and many of the online fastener stores.

I *can* find 4-40x1.5" screws. Is my only alternative to tap out the pickups for 4-40 threads?

I know I can't be the only person with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

In a pinch you can cut the long screws off with a Dremel and a cut off wheel,then slightly round the ends with a fine file..
I looked thru my stuff and could not find any for you.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by tonezoneonline
In a pinch you can cut the long screws off with a Dremel and a cut off wheel,then slightly round the ends with a fine file..
I looked thru my stuff and could not find any for you.
That's not my problem. My problem is that the screws I can find available are too short. I can't find anything longer than 1.25" in a 3-48 screw.

Soapbarstrat

Thought maybe switching to those thin metal rings might help, but for one thing, I'm not sure how thin the metal ones are ( I'm pretty sure there are some which are thinner than most of the plastic ones), and also that might not be enough to solve your problem.

Switching pickup bases might be an option (certainly not my first pick, and I'd look like hell for longer screws before going that route )

Trending Topics