Looking for 50's chime in a single coil

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking for a set of strat pickups that can deliver a round 50's chime, with quack and round edges. What do you recommend? I'm very big on the position 2 and 4 combinations. This will go on a light ash body with rosewood slab. Looking for recommendations Fender or non-Fender with RWRP middle for noise cancelling.

Robertito

I have read more than once that the standard Seymour Duncan SSL-1s and SSL-2s are fantastic 50s-style pickups. Hope this helps!

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure if you've researched anything yet, but these two sets come to mind:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-54-Strat-Pickups-Set-of-3?sku=301624

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle54.asp

I've been thinking about buying the Fralins for my 54RI for a while now, still haven't actually done it.
Interesting, Fender is using Alnico 5s and Fralin is using Alnico IIIs. Which is true to spec? Have you had any experience or heard either of these?

skeeterbuck

Check out Lollar pickups. Jason has some sound clips that may be what your looking for.

He has a '52 tele pickups that to my ears sounds wonderfully vintage.

Hope this helps.

Majin GeoDooD

Interesting, Fender is using Alnico 5s and Fralin is using Alnico IIIs. Which is true to spec? Have you had any experience or heard either of these?
According to Fralin the IIIs are true to spec. Unfortnately I haven't had any experience with these sets.

duckbunny

I own Fralins and like them, but I will give a big thumbs up to the Fender CS '54 pickups. They are very, very good at doing the 50s thing, and are a lot cheaper, although I'd shop that MF price a bit. (I got a set of 3 for 129.95 from Angela electronics a few years ago when they were blowing them out - I know they aren't 130 bucks anymore, but I'm sure I've seen them for less than 220)
The CS '54s are, by far, my favorite Fender pickups for the Strat.

-db

joolzriff

Lollar...xellent pickups but the customer service is the upmost best...that where my money goes man!! straight people w/ straight answers

daddyo

Own and recommend Duncan SSL 1s. Not that there is anything wrong with Fralins (great pups), etc. but you can find SSL 1s for around $58 each.

randy alameda

:munch
I must vote for Curt Novak, he wound some p-90's for me that sound like the Pearly Gates, or the Gates of H___, whichever you prefer! And his fender winds are the best sounding fenders in New Mexico! Great guy also, used to be one of those 'Los Alamos other people'! tell him I said "High"!

Shiny McShine

I went with the CS54's myself and they really have it going on.

Check out acmeguitarworks.com pickups sound samples.

They have some of the best demos of all of the popular ones. I studied it for several days and found that I liked the Lollars the best. However, I went with CS54's because they were close and about half the price.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Good Strat sound there for sure!
I was at that show and his tone was awesome.
Other's played that Strat that night with good results too.

Frostbite Slim

Silver Supporting Member
I'd HIGHLY recommend contacting Angeltone Custom Pickups www.angeltone.com :AOK

Ken will set you up with the best set for your desired tone. He's currently making me a 50's style set as we speak. I'm very excited about it:dude He's doing a special wind and a few other "tweaks". Ken is a genius when it comes to Pickups:D

Trending Topics