Looking for a 1x12 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rena Rune, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Considering getting the New Micro Terror, but also want to try a 1x12. Needs to be fairly well balanced, decent low end, fairly efficient, not too rounded off in the highs(an Eminence speaker would probably be ideal as they tend to be cheap and efficient).

http://www.thomann.de/ie/blackheart_bh112.htm

^ I was thinking this.

These are pretty cool as they come with Eminence Speakers stock -

http://uk.lookat.com/music/guitars-...1x12/palmer-mi-pcab112mow-1x12-guitar-cabinet

However I hear they're MDF/Particleboard which is bad.

What should I do? Ideally I'd like to get a lightweight unloaded cab for cheap and shove in something like a Tonkerlite - lightweight and highly sensitive. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can get a cheap unloaded cab.

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I have a BH112 and IMHO it's a very well made bargain cab. I ditched the speaker for a V30 and it is a great little portable cab.

The Orange PPC112 is a slightly more mid sounding cab though it could be that mine aren't yet broken in compared to what I had in the Blackheart.

I'd get an Orange personally and also at the same time pickup a real TT over that solid state terror...it just sounded terrible IMHO in all the Namm vids.

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Given the volumes I'll be running it at, the TT won't sound any better. From trying it out it needs power section saturation to sound right.

The Micro Terror sounds fine in the later vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=endOPrhBizM#t=357s

Sounds about the same as the TT at low volume. The 8 inch speaker makes it sound a bit boxy but in a kind of interesting way. The breakup is really nice IMO.

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

From my experience testing the TT and owning the Dark Terror, they really don't need much power amp drive to sound good. They sound fine at a quarter on the dial with a 1x12 which is definitely home level. A TT will sound hugely better than the SST even at low volumes IMHO. Plus SH it'll prob be cheaper too and you can actually jam with it!

5. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Maybe the DT would be more preampy, though I've kind of gone off the sound a little now. Plus it's more expensive. Ideally a Dual Terror would be nice, but even more expensive again.

Really, looking at my expenses, I'm unsure I can even justify the Micro Terror.

I also think while the TT is great, it is starting to get a little done to death and isn't the most unique sounding of the Oranges. There was a kind of grind to the MT I really liked.

I've been waiting for Orange to do an amp like this for some time, since Marshall Vox et. all have had their go at it. I reckon it'd be really good for d00my stuff.

6. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

7. big mike

big mike Moderator Staff Member

Have you looked at stagecraft cabinets?
    Anthony and his guys make affordable good sounding stuff.

8. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

+1 Great build quality and value.

9. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

makes great cabs.

lots of speakers to choose from....

closed back, open back, closed with panel, etc.

vintage, modern styles....

[​IMG]

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I need to be able to get them in UK/ireland too.

$300 for a speakerless 1x12 is way too much for me. I'm looking to get a cab under $200 if I can, with a speaker. With no speaker $150 or so at most. I may as well just buy an Orange Cab at that price.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Jordan63

Jordan63 Supporting Member

-agree with this one, great prices and great cabs.

12. hour9

hour9 Member

I've been through a bunch of 1x12 cabs and even made one of my own once. I found the best to be a Dr Z with multiple panel back that allows you to choose where the opening is or closed altogether. I still have it and have had numerous speakers in it. The worst of the bunch was an Avatar, I didn't like it no matter what speaker I had in it. Nothing against Avatar, I like their other designs, just not the 1x12.

13. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

Check out Rocket Cabs or JDesign. Both make nice 1x12 cabs.

14. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Bought a Mesa 1x12 3/4 open back, v-30 loaded off of craig's list just try it out. Great sounding cab, very good low end and supports a full size head. Pretty good value used.

15. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Egnater Tweaker 1 X 12 open back with the G12H30 or the closed back, front ported Egnater Rebel 1 X12 with the Egnater Elite 80 (Celestion based CL80). These are both great cabinets that are very well built. Here in the US they are between $225 and $250 which in my book is a great deal. Other than an Avatar with a speaker of your choice I really can't think of a mass produced cabinet that is matching or beating the quality of these two Egnater cabs for the same price.

Unadan likes this.
  16. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Same here. Fantastic cabinet.

17. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

For the $$ the Jet City 1x12's are great...might need a speaker swap but they are ply, not particle board, inexpensive...might be able to find a used one in the $50-$75 by now...

18. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

19. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Keep in mind the speaker needs to be able to handle like 100 watts :/ The Jet City might not be bad if I swap the speaker I guess.

20. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member