Looking for a 3/4 size acoustic under $500 with a super-thin matte finish

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Yr Blues, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I rather have glossy nitro, but I'd settle for super-thin matte finish.

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I forget the name of the line, but Cordoba has some new steel strings that may interest you- very tasty and affordable- Google 'em

Yr Blues likes this.
  3. OM-18fan

OM-18fan Member

I have a Dread Jr that I love. Martin calls it 7/8 size. It is miles ahead of any of the 3/4 travel guitars and it still fits nicely in the overhead bins.

All solid wood, less that $500 list. I got mine with a 15% sale and some MF points for under $400 from Musicians Friend.

I have two much better Martin's but this is the guitar that I love to take out most of the time. It's so light and it's lightweight gig bag it's a joy to take anywhere.

slooky and Yr Blues like this.
  4. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

That might be perfect. There are 2 versions. One with small fret dots and one with large fret dots. I like the small dots for that classier vintage look.

All my googling didn't come up with that one.

5. OM-18fan

OM-18fan Member

Actually, right now there are four versions; spruce top, sepale back, and side or all sepale. Also, the guitar was revamped this year with a bevel on the upper back and they removed 1/4 inch from the depth. With new and old models that makes four. Reports say that the new one sounds better. Mine sounds better than any other small guitar I've played, so the new one must be pretty good.

slooky likes this.
  6. stephenT

stephenT Member

another thumbs up for the Martin, my D Jr is a great guitar.

slooky likes this.
  7. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

The hand-rubbed varnish makes me think I could shoot it with glossy nitro if I wanted to.

8. stephenT

stephenT Member

I'm toying with the idea of spraying the top black, probably never do it, but yes, would be relatively simple.

Yr Blues likes this.
  9. OM-18fan

OM-18fan Member

''The hand-rubbed varnish makes me think I could shoot it with glossy nitro if I wanted to.''

I'll send you mine. You can do both at once!

Yr Blues likes this.
  10. DADF#AD

DADF#AD Supporting Member

Check out the tones of the Taylor GS-Mini-E with the ES-B preamp system. Those things are unreal as far as tone & projection. I happen to have a mint condition Koa for sale here cheap on the forum guitar emporium if you're interested.