Looking for a 8 inch replacement speaker for a Valco amp

ramonneke76

Hi all!

I recently purchased a nice 1967 Valco 62-9032 (Montgomery Wards) amp. I just did a complete overhaul and it's a very nice amp. It's basically the same as the Supro S6606, Gretsch 6150. It has a volume and a tone control. Tubes: 5y3, 12ax7, 6v6.

To preserve the original Jensen Special Design alnico speaker (8 inch, 4 ohm), I am looking for a nice 8" replacement speaker which preserve the original character of the amp/speaker. I don't want a speaker that will make the amp much louder. Just looking for the same quality.

These speakers came to mind, but I don't have experience with them:
  • Jensen alnico P8R
  • Jensen mod8-20
  • Weber alnico sig 8 (or other Weber 8 inch)
  • WGS G8C
  • Eminence Patriot 820H

Any suggestions?

The amp is exactly like this one:
airline-supro-valco-guitar-amp-62_1_222334764d022a359a12dfeb1a3526d4.jpg

Multicellular

May not be what you are looking for, but I have a spare 8" Orange speaker. Don't feel like it is a particularly colored speaker. I needed a higher wattage one for that cab and it is just sitting in a box.

I don't know where you're located, (In on the u.s. east coast) but I'd mail it free to a good home if someone paid shipping. It is 8ohm 20watts, iirc or speaker specs http://orangeamps.com/votw/

The Weber Sig would be the least expensive route...and maybe the most accurate sonically.
Weber's more expensive Alnico would be my choice if money was not a problem.

Look at the 8A100 speakers...there are two versions...one has later break up. Whether or not there will be a problem fitting in the amp is something I don't know. I haven't seen a shot of the back/inside of the cab.

ramonneke76

Look at the 8A100 speakers...there are two versions...one has later break up. Whether or not there will be a problem fitting in the amp is something I don't know. I haven't seen a shot of the back/inside of the cab.

Here is the back:
airline-supro-valco-guitar-amp-62_1_222334764d022a359a12dfeb1a3526d4.jpg

That mallory cap can is out so there is room for the magnet..

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Weber Sig. 8 will retain the tone of the small magnet alnico. It will be a bit brighter because it's new and that old Jensen is well broken in by now. ;-)

Reactions: EFK

EFK

I agree with the Sig8 suggestion above if you are after something of the trashy sound of the original. First the Rolas, and then the Jensens, were cheap trashy speakers with tiny magnets, low efficiency and a ratty sound. These were cheap-a$$ practice amps, Valco certainly was not worried about tone and I suspect most buyers were not either.

The pricier 8Axxx series are better speakers, more expensive, more efficient and also to my ear all of them are a bit darker or smoother than the Sig8 series, probably because the cones and spiders are stiffer.

The Emi 820 is a great speaker, more efficient and much "bigger" sounding than any of the alnicos, although still an 8 so there's only so much bigness you can get out of it.

You can usually also fit a 10 in most of these if you make a new baffle with some careful planning. The Emi 1028 is a great 'old sounding' 10 that is cheap.

I want to like the new Jensens but I can't. I've tried a lot of them of all different sizes and models and every single damned one of them has a weird harsh frequency spike somewhere in the higher upper mids that is sending a needle spike right into my brain and making me hear voices that are saying horrendous things. And no amount of "breaking in" seems to get rid of it.

All of the original speakers were 3.2 ohm but 4 will work 'close enough.'

J M Fahey

Just use the original speaker which came with it.
Not sure about what are you trying to "preserve" here.
It was a cheesy entry level amp (as was clearly described earlier) with the cheapest speaker they could fit which would still work.
If you bought and intend to use this amp for its tone, fine, but consider that by not using the original speaker you are throwing at least 50% (if not more ) of it through the window.

Just sayin´

ramonneke76

I think I'll go for the Weber 8A100 straight cone. Should go for 3.2 ohm or 4 ohm? I believe the original is 3.2 ohm according the schematic of the Supro S6606 but I am not sure.

EFK

If you have the option to go with 3.2 or 4, then yes, 3.2 would be the correct speaker. Weber is about the only one doing those anymore.

HaroldBrooks

You probably already settled on a speaker, but here's my 2 cents anyway :

I own a Gretsch 6150 (same amp more or less) and love the original Jensen speaker sound. Despite what other say, cheap or otherwise, this is one killer Valco recording amp ! If you put a microphone in front of it, you can play anywhere. There's nothing else like it.

I too wanted to preserve my Jensen original speaker, so after careful consideration of all my options went with the inexpensive Weber Sig8 (The Smooth Cone Version).

I couldn't believe how close the Weber is to the original amps Jensen. It is a bit brighter, but very, very close none the less. I chose the Weber speaker based on recommendation from others, after hearing demos, and based on it being only a 15 watt speaker. The original Jensen I believe is also a very low what speaker, perhaps only 10 watts or less, so it breaks up real early !

I wanted that sound and the 15 watt Weber delivers ( with a built in margin of safety ) ! I've driven the crap out of my little Gretsh with Distortion pedals, compressors, boosts, you name it, and the Weber speaker takes it all with no protest. The temperature of the magnet assembly barely gets warm after an hour of playing flat out with insane gain. The old Jensen would get quite a bit warmer (I tested it before I swapped to the Weber).

Whatever your choice good luck, and don't Ever sell that amp. You will live to regret it ! Here's a clip of just one of the many cool vintage tones that can be had from your Mongomery ward (Valco amp) From 0:54 to 1:21 is that amp I believe...

Did someone say something about poor tone ?

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=5100928&q=hi&newref=1

Last edited:

rockometeramp

Just use the original speaker which came with it.
Not sure about what are you trying to "preserve" here.
It was a cheesy entry level amp (as was clearly described earlier) with the cheapest speaker they could fit which would still work.
If you bought and intend to use this amp for its tone, fine, but consider that by not using the original speaker you are throwing at least 50% (if not more ) of it through the window.

Just sayin´

Ever play through one? A friend liked his so much he bought another, and it's no more entry level than a Tweed Champ. The only cheap part of the amp is the tolex, very thin. True PTP wiring, done very cleanly btw, and a real wood cab. Great amp.

J M Fahey

So?
50% of that amp sound is the speaker, my point is why not using it, period.

What are you "preserving" ?
By using it as is, you have 100% of the original sound; and IF it dies (why would it? ) , THEN you replace it.
And pray replacement sounds exactly as the original .... which it will not.

By the way, I suspect your friend is smart and uses it with the original speaker ;)

Bumping this one.
I'm looking to replace the stock Jensen Special Design in a Supro s6606 I just purchased. I've tried some of the previously mentioned options, but the stock Jensen seems to be slightly undersized. I think it is the 8J11 and from what I've seen from a vintage catalog search, the speaker is actually 7 and 11/16. It seems like the cab on the s6606 is really not meant for anything but that Jensen. The modern 8" speakers don't seem to fit, but I've yet to try the Weber Sig. The opening between the bottom of the cab and the top of the chassis is just about 8" give or take. The Weber Sig might do it, but I haven't found one to try yet.

Has anyone found a modern speaker that can replace this Jensen in a Supro s6606 (or similar Valco-type design)??? Help!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom