Looking for a Boost Pedal (Xotic, Barber, Keeley)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by se7en, Apr 11, 2008.

1. se7en

se7en Senior Member

I've been considering the following options...Xotic BB+ preamp, RC Booster, Barber Launch Pad and the Keeley Katana. I'm looking for a very transparent boost that won't add volume...just want more gain. The amps I'll be using are a Bogner XTC 101b and a Soldano SLO.

2. Dave

Dave Member

How do you set your amps? Clean/edge of breakup/distorted?

If the amp is already breaking up you can just hit it with a clean boost or treble booster and the volume won't change much due to compression.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

If you don't want more volume, just more gain, you want the opposite of a boost. You want a Timmy or something similar.

4. se7en

se7en Senior Member

I run the gain channels at pretty high gain. The Bogner is pretty compressed as it is...I'm just looking for a bit more gain on the blue channel of it (already have it maxed out). I have a Menatone pedal that has a built in boost and what I love is that it doesn't add any volume, just boosts the signal.

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Give the Keeley a try with the knob pulled out for a touch of grit, real sweet boost.
    Best Regards!

6. se7en

se7en Senior Member

These seem nice, although pricey...With the knob pulled out can I get a little more bite as well?

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yes, a bit of bite, sounds very natural and melds with the powertubes well, plus it has 30db of boost if you need.:AOK
    Best Regards!

8. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

So you mean something that will thicken your tone without adding any volume?

9. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Thanks. Sounds like a good match for my amp. Definately strongly considering the Keeley now.

10. se7en

se7en Senior Member

No, just push it a little further to get say an extra 20 percent more gain on a channel that already has the gain knob maxed. It's pretty thick as it is. Looking to tighten it up a little bit as well.

11. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

The B channel on the BB+ sounds great as a boost. I've been running it into a tweed Deluxe clone and really liking it. It's very focused and provides nice sustain with little change to the sound otherwise. If you have any use for the dual channel set up, the BB+ is worth a try. Otherwise, you're probably better off with a straight up boost pedal like the Keeley.

12. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i heard alot of people swear by the rc booster from xotic!

13. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I just got one and "a bit more gain" describes it pretty good. It thickens up my Strat and there's tons of overtones and other goodies. I'm pretty happy with it. The eq section is very versatile with cut and boost.

14. liakos

liakos Member

i think rc booster is what you are looking for.transparent and it can give you some really nice od to boost your amp without being very saturated.