Looking for a bridge humbucker for my strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Prititing, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Prititing

Prititing Member

Well, i was playing a standard Fender with a custom pick-guard with 2 pickups: Area 58 neck and a WCR Goodwood neck pickup in the bridge position. Usually I really like the Goodwood bridge pup in the bridge, but i didn't have one, just a neck version lying around, which turned out to be great sounding, with superb mids.
    And then i bought a John Mayer strat which i love but i still can't live without a humbucker in the bridge. And i don't intend to make room for a full sized humbucker. I played a Duncan Hot Rails, but i didn't like it, and i generally don't care for SD pups. I did play a strat with a Dimarzio double blade pup in the bridge that had great mids, a little hot but usable. Too bad the owner didn't remember what pup he had in.
    So, should i look at Dimarzio? Any other brands make good SC sized hums? On the Dimarzio site i thought only Chopper and Air Norton S would be close to a nice Goodwood :)
    The amp is a SLO into a Trutone 2x12'' with Scumback M55s.
    :BEER

2. Boggs

Boggs Member

Contact Pete Biltoft at www.vintagevibeguitars.com . Let him know what you have got and what you want. If he doesn't make something in "stock" form, he will build one for you reasonably. Great guy. Extremely knowledgable. Builds pups for Abe Wechter now too.

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Don't be put off by the high output numbers of the Tone Zone. The numbers are deceiving. It's a great pickup in bridge of a strat that is very versitile. It sounds huge with gain but really does nto overpower the middle and neck singles. I have a full size humbucker in mine but the SC size one is great as well.

4. Prititing

Prititing Member

Well, i'm not looking for "buzz" distortion, i"m looking for "kerrang". With my Goodwood i'm almost there. You can check out my favorite sound HERE . Check out the Soldano sounds. It's a LP, and i know i'm not gonna get exactly that with a strat. But you can understand what i'm looking for. :BEER

5. Prititing

Prititing Member

6. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I have a Tyler Classic with a Seymour JB in the bridge, and it's incredible. I would look at that route, if I were you. Just a very solid stacked pickup, with an arsenal of tones.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I agree with lifeson1, just tried a few custom shop Fenders with the JB in it and yes it's incredible. Amazing thick, but clarity. Notes have a very vocal "singy" quality to them, and chords have great chunkiness. Also sounds great split as a single for clean. Only thing I don't like about it is on clean tone and the humbucker is in series wiring. Too middy for that. But split and used with the middle pickup sounds killer.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Oh and an awesome pickup that sounds good clean and blends well with single coils is the Dimarzio PAF pro. Really works great in an HSS setup.

9. bgroup

bgroup Member

Too bad you're not into SD's because I had an SH-5/TB-5 in my 50th Anniversary Strat and it was AMAZING - and I'm confident it'd get you close to the sound from the clip that you're looking for... FWIW, I pulled it out of the 50th Anni because I wanted it stock with the Custom '54's (YEAH!!), but just bought another guitar so I can have that SH-5/TB-5 sound back!!

Brent
    bgroupmusic.com

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Try a Suhr SSV. My favorite, by far.

11. Anchorage42

Anchorage42 Member

I have a DiMarzio Fast Track 2 I'm trying to get rid of. It came in a 50th Anniversary Deluxe I bought used. The other 2 pickups are samarium cobalt and i don't like the match... I'm also down for trades, just let me know.

It sounds pretty clean, when run clean, and if you raise it a little and dig in, it sounds killer dirty. Not strictly as heavy as they make it sound on the website.

12. Prititing

Prititing Member

So there are no votes for the Chopper...