looking for a certain OD/fuzz sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nikkibikini, Jan 30, 2012.

1. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

i tried searching but it was hard to find what im talking about. i've also been watching some youtube clips.

oh and this is my first post. long time lurker/google searcher :eek:

i play a gretsch through a silverface bassman. i love the sound direct in but in band situations i need a little goose for leads. right now im using a tech 21 comptortion but it is a bit too harsh and stiff for me.

im looking for something that retains the sound of the amp but just with a bit more hair on it and sustain. i also want it to be kind of soft, fluid, and saggy rather than stiff and brittle. (oh dont you just love all these subjective buzz words?!)

im nikki by the way. nice to meet you. :)

2. wiscojay

wiscojay Member

Alot of the od's Brian Wampler makes fit the bill. Maybe the Wampler paisley.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

A simple clean boost could do the trick, especially if you're amp is already turned up pretty loud. Try the EHX LPB-1 if you want something cheap, or maybe MXR Micro Amp or the MXR/CAE boost. Others here may recommend the Timmy. Maybe an OD pedal like th Fulltone OCD if you want a bit more gain.

And welcome to TGP!

4. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

cool thanks guys. if anybody wants to keep em coming i forgot to mention...the boost in volume im looking for isnt just a small bump. i want something capable of really dishing out the dBs...or at least the PERCEIVED dBs.

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Then a clean boost will do the job for sure. Also check out the Zvex SHO.

6. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

there is an xotic RC booster here local for $130. i have a show friday so i'd like to get this sorted tomorrow. from the clips i have heard im not sure if the RC would have enough sustain to it.

any thoughts?

7. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I think the RC would be worth checking out, I have yet to try one, but it is on my list.

8. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

is there a low gain fuzz that might fit in to my description?

thanks again! i will be sure to help you out where i can! there is just so much gear out there to choose from these days when it comes time to adjust your rig.

9. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

How much sustain you get will depend largely on how loud you're running your amp. If its good and loud, a good boost or OD will add plenty of volume, gain and sustain. Do you have a store near you that carries Fulltone stuff? I would recommend trying some stuff out if possible. The OCD could be used for volume boost, or extra gain, without changing your base tone much.

10. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

i play very loud.

i use to own a fulltone fulldrive. didnt really dig it all that much.