1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a cheap amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Saephanh, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Saephanh

Saephanh Member

Used will most likely be the best deal. Someone just bestowed upon me a a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Hell yea), but its the old one with the 81-85's.(T-T i wanted the coil tap)

and this cruddy little Vox Da5 isn't cutting it anymore... Let's say i sell it for 80 and a bass amp i got for 100. and i have a 250 dollar budget. whats a good amp/dist pedal combo? that i can get really cheap.

im still a beginner, but that boxy sound is REALLY getting to me...

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

what kind of music do you want to play? if you dont know, what bands do you like?
    IMO, $250 still isn't going to stretch too far... but i have a few thoughts.

3. Saephanh

Saephanh Member

well.. im still a beginner and i want to start getting serious about this. I'm training like rocky right now:boxer. though punching people hasnt really helped my playing LoL.

Mainstream rock, and if i get better i wanna get into classic rock/metal. Probably prog also. I think i HAVE to play metal with this hellraiser lol. i might grab a cheap strat to jam with too. Again im uber newb. but that doesnt meant i should get the best amp i can for 250

thx

4. dunara

dunara Member

Check out Bugera, Line 6 and Peavey Valve King.

5. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

For $250 definitely buy the Vox AC4TV... awesome 4 watt tube amp with sweet tone. Not a lot of headroom, but it wont matter if you mic it to the PA. It takes pedals like a pro and it doesnt sound too boxy, its the perfect beginner tube amp and it looks sweet, if you look for it make sure you get the one with the 10" speaker and not the 8...

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Used Fender Super Champ XD

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

If it doesn't have to be tube - go for a Peavey Transtube Bandit or Studio Pro - do a google search and read some reviews etc. Great cleans and distortion. These will give you anything from bedroom practice levels to all out gigging volume. Always go for cheap but you get a lot of tone for your money.

8. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

Honestly, there's no shortage of options in this price range, especially for a beginner. I say especially for a beginner because I don't think you're nearly as tone-conscious as people who've been playing several decades and, honestly, you'll probably be a lot easier to impress. This means that you'll be happy with your tone for way less money, thankfully!

Off the top of my head, amps that could fall in that price range, new or used, if you keep an eye out, are:

Peavey Bandit - Solidstate amp that has a reputation for actually sounding surprisingly good. Nice cleans, very respectable overdrive. Good blues/classic rock amp. Not a good metal one. You can find one for less than $200, easily, which would leave you enough to get a Keely DS1 or a DS2 or something. I don't really get down with distortion, honestly.

Peavey Classic 30 - Great, popular workhorse tube amp with reverb, good for cleans, blues, classic rock, hard rock, and probably anything but metal. $250 is on the low end for one of these, but you can find one for sure.

Super Champ XD - Fantastic all-around amp for cleans (much better cleans than the other two), blues, and hard/classic rock. I don't know whether or not I should say it can do metal. On one hand, its high-gain voices don't sound too great, but on the other hand... neither do Spiders', and new players seem to love those. So, it does everything up to heavy modern guitar music really well, but I'd play it first to see if you think it's usable for metal, if that's a prerequisite for you. You might, you might not. If you don't care so much about how good it is for metal tones, this is my pick of the bunch, for what that's worth.

Random slew of small tube amps (Valve Jr, AC4, etc): Wouldn't really recommend them! Some people are crazy about them but I usually find them a) boxy unless you run them through a cab, which is out of your price range I think, b) limited in usefulness/versatility due to their lack of options and controls, and c) just not that fantastic sounding. I never really got the appeal.

Bugera V22: Actually, I said the SCXD was my favorite option, but maybe this is. Definitely less boxy sounding, stock, although the SCXD is a far cry from the DA5 as well. Great, chimey, Vox-inspired cleans, good light breakup tones, great dirty rock tones that also have that nice chime but seem to have a bit more balls/midrange punch than typical Vox amps, making them arguably better for hard rock. Still can't do metal, but eh, who cares? They're good clean/rock amps. Plus you get an effects loop and a decent sized 1x12 cab. AND, they look classy as all get out. You can, for sure, find one used for $250 or less if you're patient.

So yeah, SCXD or a V22, I guess. Although at that price point you could also buy a new Valvetronix/Spider IV/Vypyr/Cube and probably still be pretty content with your sound. But those won't grow with you like the two I mentioned will, I don't think, and I suspect you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner. Admittedly, though, they are more versatile in the styles of music they can cover and the amount of effects they give you access to. The choice is up to you; it really depends entirely on what you want to do. Both routes have their benefits!

9. jzero

jzero Member

While a Bugera V22 or Fender SuperChampXD would be excellent, I doubt you can find 'em for $250. Any used solid state Peavey with a 12" speaker will get the job done, probably for $100 or less. I prefer the Peavey Special 130 myself. You can spend the rest on a great distortion box. I like the Vox Bulldog, but tons of people like the Fulltone OCD or a Keeley DS-1 or ________. If there's anything left over, you can build a new box for the Peavey that doesn't look so ugly!

10. Wilbur

Wilbur Guest

Peavey Vypyr 30 would fill the bill nicely at $199.

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

12. Saephanh

Saephanh Member

Peavy Vypyr is pretty high end, and where can i find one for 199? lol... anything cheaper is fine too lol... spending under 250$ is a big plus lol.

@pitseleh: Everything u say is true. I'm pretty easily satisfied amp wise. I need good cleans and will probably grab a cheap dist/metal pedal somewhere.

Peavy classic 30 sounds great.

doing research on the bugera..
    keep em coming guys.. i really sppreciate it.

13. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

I would hold out for a silverface champ, even if you have to save a little longer. It's the first amp I bought, and I still use it. It's the kind of thing you're likely to keep for as long as you play guitar.

14. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

I've seen both for under $250 used multiple times. Hell, people have bought both NEW for under $300!

15. jhall

jhall Member

This Once you learn how to dial these in they are excellent.

16. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

This would be my vote!

17. dr.C

dr.C Member

Laney vc-30 is a great amp and not expensive at all (used).

18. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Bugera V22...or Champ XD.

If you wanted to play metal (sorry missed the start of the post)...Bugera 6262 or 333XL.

We are talking good sounds for little $$$$ here...

Also much better reliability than what is bandied around...

19. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

At that price range there really isn't any contest. Peavey Bandit will trump anything in terms of versatility of good tones with plenty of volume to gig when you're ready. The lead channel can certainly do metal with ease. Here's a clip of the Bandit played metal style (sorry the drums are mixed a bit loud). And conversely, the clean blues/jazzy side:

20. Wilbur

Wilbur Guest