Looking for a combo that can do it all:

weenerdoggs

What's Up Dogg?
Hi TGPers:

I am looking for a combo amp that does:

1) Good cleans. I love an amp that has rich cleans.
2) Smooth overdrive, like a Dumble/Fuchs style where notes will bloom up nicely (I am sure there are many readers who understand this concept of blooming notes, harmonic richness, and sustain and don't need to go on here, think Robben Trower). I don't play metal or need any super high gain.

I would need to be able to switch between the two above and a boost for lead work would be nice.

So far, tone wise, I am considering:

Redplate
Fuchs
Two Rock
Quinn

Please help guide me. Thanks Very Much!!!

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a Two Rock Jet 35. Unbelievable little amp. Just smokes. I've owned a ton of high end amps and I've never been so happy.

Tonefree

Gold Supporting Member
I've been real happy with my Louis KR12. Great cleans and Sweet od. Truly a versatile piece of equipment... :aok

motokev

look into Jaguar amps......... I have the Twin 2x12
best MASTER i've played..
just the right touch dynamic, not too much not too little
very smooth breakup

one channel amp, but back off the GTR volume for clean and crank the GTR volume for gain.....

I'm telling you make an effort to try one, you'll be very suprised how great that amp sounds....its my favorite to date

Jellybelly33

Mesa Express 5:50
Great cleans and light crunch from the Lonestar (Ch1)
Smooth OD with lots of options from CH2 - it's not just a gain monster and is much more refined than the F-series for example.
The new + model could be set for a nice boost. The old standard model had an adjustable scoop which I always left on at a lowish setting.

Guinness Lad

For not a lot of money Mesa Mark III, people discount these amps but they were the original boutique amp shop. Look at the people who used them and guided them along the way, it exceeds anyone else.

If you want to be fashionable get a RedPlate or Sebago Sound, those are both excellent.

barrymclark

Mesa Express 5:50
Great cleans and light crunch from the Lonestar (Ch1)
Smooth OD with lots of options from CH2 - it's not just a gain monster and is much more refined than the F-series for example.
The new + model could be set for a nice boost. The old standard model had an adjustable scoop which I always left on at a lowish setting.

I own the Express 5:50 (non plus) and second the motion.

nospickups

Silver Supporting Member
+1 for mesa express 5:50plus. It has two channels one has incredible cleans with tube reverb, foot switchable eq to dial in that mid boost with out effecting you base tone(my complaint with all the d-style) an independent footswitchable solo boost that just makes you louder but also wont change your tone. I sold my fuchs and redplate after getting this amp.

weenerdoggs

What's Up Dogg?
Thanks TGPers,

I made the jump and have purchased at Redplate CDS2 and a Wiz pedal to boot.

That should quell the GAS for a while!

Sheherezadeh

Exactly. He's already answered his own question. This kind of thing happens alot here at TGP. :rolleyes:

I think a good chunk of the time people aren't really looking for new information so much as further confirmation of their pre-existing opinions.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Hi TGPers:

I am looking for a combo amp that does:

1) Good cleans. I love an amp that has rich cleans.
2) Smooth overdrive, like a Dumble/Fuchs style where notes will bloom up nicely (I am sure there are many readers who understand this concept of blooming notes, harmonic richness, and sustain and don't need to go on here, think Robben Trower). I don't play metal or need any super high gain.
And a flat top to set your beer on....let's see big ears....?

mykljpao

You will not regret this. I posted this on another thread:
I've had one for about 6 months now. These are absolutely astonishing IMHO. It has replaced a number of other amps for me. Easily the most versatile palette I've ever had in one amp. The form factor cannot be beat for grab and go and sounds fantastic almost regardless of where the controls are set.

Bajan

Gold Supporting Member
Bajan, attach a pic of your CD2; neatest tolex / grill combo ever (ask me how I know LOL)!

Because I stole that tolex grill combination from your TweedyDrive ;)
null-2.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom