Looking for a dark od -help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobby, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Bobby

Bobby Member

I tried the search function with less than stellar results. I realize this is probably a newbie question but can anyone suggest a creamy, dark overdrive for singlecoils into a Deluxe Reverb? I've tried scads of od's hand made, production models and high end boutique models and they all come out like there's some invisible bright switch turned on. Playing in a three man blues band you don't need a crazy top end to cut through. Anybody know of a nice dark od?

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I just got a Barber Small Fry and was amazed at the fact that the tone knob when turned all the way up was pleasant and not bright! Also, this pedal can do it all. From boost to entering high gain territory. Plus tone shaping galore.

3. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

These I thought were darker than the others when played thru fender tweeds. I don't know if that helps much.

Barber/Clark Gainster
    Liqiud Sunshine

Also try MI Audio's Blues Boy Deluxe, its very flexible, I use it with Tele (compression). Or MI Audio Blues Pro I use for Strat (noncompression), Not real dark but sounds good.

Also did you try a Tube Screamer? Lots of mids should help.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Hah! Yeah, lots of pedals can get pretty *ice-picky* when you crank the tone control to eleven.

In corksniffer semantics, "warm" & "dark" are almost interchangeable descriptons - but 'warm's' a compliment & 'dark's a criticism..:jo

Nice to have both, but in truth, most ODs I've played/owned are in the bright, edgy category. A lot of these same pedals also roll off some lo-end and bump up the mids, too.

Bjorn's Honey-Bee's about as warm as toast - Plenty thick & syrupy without sacrificing highs. Not a hi-gainer, tho'.

I've worked my way thru' a number of Diamond J-Drives, and still have the TR version, which is much brighter than previous incarnations, thanks to some NOS germ trannies that were added to the circuit. But it's still a dark sounding pedal, imo- has a seperate, switchable clean boost function as well.

5. steveb

steveb Member

My Xotic AC Boost into a SF Princeton Reverb is fairly dark sounding with the treble on the pedal set around 10:00 -11:00. To me, some of the demos I have seen sound more hi-gain than mine does. This demo is closer to way mine sounds, but this guy's has a touch more gain coming from the amp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSnnw2bTow&feature=related

6. strattitude

strattitude Member

Blue boy deluxe... VERY flexible. Will suit any amp, dark, bright, mid hump, scooped, fuzzy, tight lowend...- it's all in there!

Vox Big Ben is very warm and not fizzy at all.

BB Preamp is also great, flexible EQ for bass and treble.

7. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I tend to think of my Proanalog MKIII as being quite dark but still retains the tone and character of the guitar and amp.

8. bluelew

bluelew Member

Hermida Mosferatu will fit the bill perfectly.

9. Birddog

Birddog Member

My main OD for a while now is the Marshall Guv'nor. While known for sounding rock-ish, it's very 'dark'. If anything, I find myself cranking the treble on my amp up to compensate for it when playing humbuckers. With single-coil Strats, it is nearly perfect. And with the gain rolled back, it cleans up without losing its crunch.

And, hey, it's cheap.

10. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

I couldn't agree with you more Bobby, which is why there is one and only one pedal I have kept over the last two years of pedal flipping...... Nobels ODR-1. I can't put a finger on why I love that pedal soo much but it is VERY smooth and not too bright at all.

11. erksin

erksin Member

This is the correct answer. ;)

12. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

Please excuse this post if this is not the case, but, If the amp is a Deluxe Reverb RI, did you remove the bright cap? It is hardwired and always on and tends to make the amp very bright and strident with most pedals.