Looking for a decent, affordable 2x10 or 1x15 combo amp for recording

omfg51

Title says it all, my old bass player and close friend recommended me a used Ashdown 220 Touring that is only 200 bucks, but I'd like to pursue the 2x10 combo route more, and the 1x15 as secondary option.

Suggestions?

sprag

My suggestion for recording - spend the money on a good bass preamp/di or channel strip. I wasn't budget conscious when i purchased my bass rig (its for live use too). initially I'd DI and mic cab when recording to mix the 2 signals. It didn't take long to give up on micing the cab as it didn't really offer anything extra.
I use a great river me1nv, it wasn't cheap but it kills on vocals as well.

If you're definitely going the amp route, i suggest you look for tweeterless or with tweeter defeat switch or attenuator.

Endr_rpm

+1, if you're looking to stay in the sub $500 range, and its JUST for recording, a DI is a better option. Maybe one of the Tech 21 Sansamp or Character pedals? Or any number of other modelling processors with DIs. MOst amps in that range are not going to really bring much to the recorded tone,which you'd lilely be pairing with an addition "clean DI" track anyway.

If you want to spend a bit more, and already have a cab, the Ampeg PF20T 20 watt tube head has a power soak for silent recording through an onboard DI.

Aahzz

You can snag a used Fender Rumble V3 500 Combo for around $350 - great big sound from a 2x10 - mine easily keeps up with my guitarist's Mesa Mark V Half Stack...and also sounds great for practice/recording at home.

StratoCraig

Yup, DI for recording. I use a Scarlett 2i4 USB interface for all my recordings. I only use microphones for vocals and acoustic instruments; any electric instrument just plugs straight in, and I use Logic X's amp and effects simulations to get the tone I want.

For performing, I have a TC Electronics BG-250 1x15" combo. It sounds good and isn't very heavy.

rob2966

Another +1 to a good DI. I use an Avalon U5 in my home studio, sounds fantastic. For "tube-ier" sounds, the REDDI is well regarded as well.

Later
Rob

Mighty Melvin

I DI'ed all my bass on my CDs and sometimes it was a mistake. In a standard position in the mix it was great. In a leading (or ending) riff or a short solo, an amp, a speaker, and a mic would have given me much better results.

Trending Topics