Looking for a delay pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dbp512, May 21, 2015.

1. dbp512

dbp512 Member

I've been looking for a delay pedal for a while now. I've tried everything I could find in stores, and listened to days worth of youtube videos trying to decide. Yet I'm still just as lost as ever. I want to write everything out to try and collect my thoughts, and hopefully get some advise from someone whose been in my situation before. First, a little background about me. My only guitar is an SG with humbuckers, running into an orange micro terror. I absolutely love the amp except for its lack of an fx loop. I'm a bedroom player, so I don't need anything fancy or designed for live use.

A few of the pedals I was considering: (there are many more, but I don't know what to say about them)

1) Neunaber Stereo Echelon - I've heard countless great things about neunaber, especially the stereo wet. Their other effects don't get as much widespread recognition as their wet, but people who have it really seem to like it. The benefit of this is that I can reprogram it for various effects, making the pedal much more versatile. The con of this, is that despite its versatility, it can still only do 1 effect at a time, and its more expensive than any other pedal.

2) Catalinbread Belle Epoch - CB seems to be really highly regarded around here, especially their delay. It has such a warm, fantastic tape sound to it, and people who have it can't seem to get enough of it. Plus, it seems to run into an overdriven amp with ease, so it would fit my setup fantastically.

3) CB montavillian - A slightly cheaper delay, although not based off a tape echo, still sounds incredible. People who have this keep it as a multi-purpose, always-on delay, which is what I'm looking for. I'm not sure how it compares to their BE, but it doesn't seem like I'd go wrong with it.

4) TC Alter Ego/Flashback - I have 2 other TC pedals and I really like them. Their delay algorithms sound fantastic, and the versatility of these pedals is outstanding. Despite this, I just can't seem to get over their footswitch problem. I know they've improved in the last few years and I haven't heard of nearly as many fatal problems, but that doesn't mean they still exist. Their current policy of offering to sell you a new pedal when yours breaks really doesn't appeal to me. Given the fact that all my pedals are TC's, its really increasing the risk of at least one of them breaking, leaving me out $150 and nothing to show for it. These pedals are the cheapest on the list, but its taking a risk. I could buy it at guitar center with their additional warranty, but thats approaching the price of a CB, which doesn't have any of the problems.

2. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

So, if I am extracting your wishlist correctly:

*You want something more as a tonal thickener, as opposed to a U2/Pink Floyd lockstep dotted 8th delay thing?
    *You want something that plays well going into the front end of a dirty amp?
    *You don't need presets or tap tempo?
    *Budget?
    *Do you have an idea of whether or not you are after analog or digital or tape/tape emulator style?

I think all of those pedals you named are easy flips around here, so I'd say take the plunge on one of them and go from there.

Personally - The TC pedal reliability thing is pretty overblown in my experience. The Flashback and its variants are great pedals, and with the toneprint, you get to check out a bunch of different kinds of delays...

3. tashiattack

tashiattack Member

If you use amp distortion, the Belle Epoch or Montavillian are better options because you can run them both in front of dirty amps successfully. They are, however, limited in terms of tonal options, which is what gives the TC an advantage. IMO, if this is your first delay, and or the only delay pedal you will use for now, I would consider the above three before the Echelon. And I agree with the above poster, the TC reliability issue is overblown.

4. MilesMitchell

MilesMitchell Member

Out of your list I currently own the Epoch and have owned the flashback but I've also had numerous delays such as a skrecho, DMM, Carbon Copy, etc. I sold my epoch once but then I bought another just because it is that good. If you're looking for tape sound, I'd definitely go that route.

For me, the thing I love most that delays don't have is the Rec knob which effects how hard the "tape" is being hit. I don't like repeats being in your face so I have mine dialed back just a tad so you can't really tell there are repeats. It adds a nice wash without getting out of control. I also love the random modulation and the preamp is pretty good in my opinion (although I keep mine in true bypass so it's not always affecting my signal). Just my two cents.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm a huge fan of the Belle Epoch. Montavillian is really nice too.

6. partytrain

partytrain Member

I'm glad the Montavillian was on your list. Otherwise, I'd be telling you to add it. It is hands down my favorite delay. I've used it both as an always on delay to fill up space, and also some more ambient settings. It shines in all uses. The cut knob is what really sets it apart for me.

I have 3 boards that I use depending on the gig, and I swap pedals on and off those boards all the time. But I always start with the Montavillian, and build around it.

7. dbp512

dbp512 Member

Pretty much. I'm not sure the extent of a 'tone thickener' but I don't need any crazy long David Gilmore style delay. I don't have a strict budget, so if it costs more than I planned I'll just wait a bit longer before getting it. If its cheaper than I imagined I'll use the extra money towards another pedal later on. The neunaber costs $240, so lets call that my rough budget. I can't say for certain whether I want analog or delay. Analogs have the warmer sound, but it seems like digitals can at least mimic that pretty well, and on the other hand analogs can't mimic digital. I guess I'd like a digital more, because it might have a bit more tonal variation.

What makes the CB better than the echelon? I think it sounds really good, so am I missing something, or is youtube's compression messing with the sound enough to impact my decision? Also, have you had both CB pedals? I'd really like to see how they compare. Google is filled with either of them comparing to the Echorec (which is stupid because thats a very different delay), but not the two of them pitted against each other.

8. thecornman

thecornman Member

Caline Blue Ocean! A copy of the Mad Professor Deep Blue for about 40 bucks. Analog sounding digital delay. Works well in front of driven amp.

9. dirk_benedict

Last question: are you more of a "as few knobs as possible" kind of guy or would you be after some added features like modulation and tap tempo?

$240 is a good enough budget to try all the TGP darlings...El Capistan, Diamond MLJR and so on.

I think in front of a dirty amp, you'll find something with a mix and a level control to be pretty critical.

10. dbp512

dbp512 Member

I found one on amazon for $30, but its probably a fake because its green, not blue (sorry, I can't resist a stupid joke). I actually never heard of this before (or if I did, I dismissed it like danelectro/behringer pedals due to its price). If a TGPer says its worth a shot, I'll definitely consider it.

11. dbp512

dbp512 Member

I've been on both sides of the knob fence. When I was brand new to effects I thought strymons were the best you could get, so I was planning on saving up for the timeline. I was a little intimidated by all the parameter adjustments, but I figured that would be ok because I'd have plenty of time to dial in an awesome tone and save it in a preset so I wouldn't lose it. But for multiple reasons I determined the strymon just wouldn't be for me, and the next pedal I really liked was the neunaber, which takes on a very minimalistic approach to knobs. I don't want a delay pedal that also functions as a decent chorus, vibrato, tremolo, and whatelse. I'd rather spend the money on a delay that has a great sound, and eventually if I want a chorus, I'd look for a pedal that does that really well. I came from a fender mustang, which was a great beginner's amp, but I felt like the "effects" were really weak and didn't have much depth/variation to them without sounding really artificial. I don't want to spend all this money on another multi-use effect; I'd rather get 1 good pedal for each sound I want, so I can replace them easily if necessary.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound like you would suggest a multi-fx, but I hope my point still remains. I haven't used a memory man much, but I didn't like the idea of paying for a vibrato and chorus, when I wouldn't make use of them too much. Actually I have no idea how much I'd use those effects, but I figured if I did I'd want them as standalone pedals, so if I ever got rid of the MM I wouldn't be losing my chorus, vibe, and delay pedals all at once.

12. thecornman

thecornman Member

Well I have had the Caline for over a year, gigged with it, have not babied it and had no problems with it so far! Not much to lose for 30 bucks. If you don't like it sell it for 20 and you are only out 10 bucks.

13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

What is wrong with the Diamond Memory Lane jr, Carbon Copy, Boss DD3/5/7, E-H Deluxe Memory Man?

I want to rave to everyone about the new Keeley Magnetic Echo. But you can go check that out on your own.

14. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

You can check out my setup below ... I settled on the Flashback last year after doing my search for delay. I had my own criteria and budget to consider but the Flashback got great reviews across the board. I have, knock-on-wood, NOT had any issues with the footswitch. Just remember that those who have had issues are more inclined/motivated to come to forums to find a solution or express their frustrations -- if you are happy with the pedal, you are probably playing guitar and not spending time writing about it. :)

The Flashback has received the endorsement of Gilmourish.com if Pink Floyd is your thing: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=5059. It does U2/Edge out of the box with a flip of the switch.

That being said, you might want to check out the TC Nova which has always been highly recommend. It was much more expensive at the time but there is a great deal on them right now , $169 (same price as the FlashBack) --> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ND1

I am tempted to purchase one but the Flashback covers everything I need. The Nova has a few more bells and whistles but also is a much bigger in size and my pedalboard is limited.

15. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I picked up an echo park. It replaced my flashback.
    The only real selling feature over the flashback is the trails.
    It sounds decent enough, with all the available bells and whistles of a modern delay, but I'm a slow learner, and getting this thing dialed in is a challenge.

16. Billy Idle

Billy Idle Member

Belle all the way !
    Check out a used lovepedal echophonic too..

17. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I went through a bunch of delay pedals until I found the Belle Epoch. Search over. It does depend on what you want from a delay though. The Montevillian is more ambient/Pink Floydish compared to tape delay and the BE has a good slap echo as well. One thing to listen for is digital versus analog. I liked the warmer analog, but did not like the noise that seems to come along with analog whereas, the non analog BE has the warmth without the noise. The wild modulation part of the BE is complex and I still need practice with that more creative side of delay.

18. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Check out the wampler faux tape echo as part of your search..I replaced my carbon copy with one. You have a shade knob that controls the highs on repeats, so you can get the darker analog repeats as well as clearer repeats. The newer version has tap, which will come in handy, and better control over modulation. Great inexpensive delay IMO

19. dirk_benedict

Op - I would suggest either a Memory Lane Jr/Counter Point or, a Tech 21 DLA w/ TT, or thirdly, a Flashback. Beyond that, a Wampler Faux Tape or an Empress Tape Delay. I like all of these because they'll do what you want plus a little or fair amount more, and you may find your tastes expand once you take the plunge. Having a bit of functional headroom, while still keeping an easy interface, is probably something you will get use out of at one point or another.

20. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

El Capistan is my favorite delay ever. Just sounds 'right'.