Looking for a dirt box- Foo Fighters - Wasting Light ballpark

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tony_clifton, May 24, 2011.

1. tony_clifton

tony_clifton Member

Hi!

I play a Les Paul Special in a Princeton Reverb, and I'd like to add some dirt. I don't use any effects so far, but I think a 'second channel' would be nice. What would you recommend to add to this setup if I want to come ballpark-close to the sound of Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters?

For reference; Dave Grohl is using a Hiwatt 103 and a PT100, while Chris Shiflett is using a Bassman and a AC30 combo:

I love how basic it looks; guitar - small pedalboard - amp, without changing guitars and tunings.
    The last song, Walk, is what I'm aiming for. Although the lead part sounds phenomenal in my opinion (AC30), I'm looking for the tone of the rhythm part (Grohl).

Any opinions would be very appreciated :).

Btw, I'm not too much of a fan of boutique because they are hard to find where I live (Europe), and they are very expensive over here. I think MXR makes some good mass-production pedals.

I think the Custom Badass '78 Distortion might be able to do the trick, although I'm afraid it's a little too rough/high gain. The GT-OD sounds a bit like a Tube Screamer to me, which is always a good thing with a Fender amp I guess?

2. sbr

sbr Member

RAT should do it.

3. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

DRD, Model H, FETTO, WF RAT, DLS, BOR. Should all get you a similar raw, British dirt tone a la Foo. For totally nailing that tone, I couldn't say which would be best since I've never tried to do it. But I would guess the Model H could get pretty close considering it's the only actual Hiwatt-esque one.

4. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

with that set up I would suggest a TC Dark Matter. Made in Europe, inexpensive and works with Fender amps.

5. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I think Grohl just uses a cranked Fender nowadays but used to use a USA Rat 2 in the beginning. That might be a start.

6. skunx

skunx Supporting Member

Dave used mostly Fender Tone Masters on the new album.

Wasting Light has some of their best tones ever. Guitars don't sound like every other album and really stand out. I think the rat suggestions are great and I would like to try the MXR 78 distortion as well.

7. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Suhr Riot for the win.

8. musickbox

musickbox Member

Riot for sure. Rat will also get you there.

9. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Suhr Riot for the win.

10. tony_clifton

tony_clifton Member

Okay thanks!
    Isn't the Riot a little too high-gain?

Definitely checking out the Rat and TC Electronic too.

11. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Bearfoot is releasing its own Model H - Hiwatt-inspired OD. Worth checking out, for sure! Releases this weekend probably.

12. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Member

Check this thread for the pic of Grohl's Wasting Light rig:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=880351&page=3

Fender Tonemasters, Custom Audio PT-100s, w/ THD Hot Plates, MXR Smartgates, and Ebtech Hum Eliminators in addition to the wireless setup.

Essentially, his sound is a tightly-controlled, fully-saturated tube distortion tone.

If you can't go boutique, go with a Rat or even a Boss DS-1 as a starting point. Maybe throw an MXR Micro Amp or Dyna-Comp in there as well to get as much crunch in there as you can.