Looking for a dirty, fuzz-ish overdrive...

johnetone

ss/bs mini is worth consideration
Pretty much this or the SS/BS Fvck Overdrive are the ways to go imo. I use the Mini into my '67 Bandmaster and it smokes! Plus the low bias/low gain sound can go from crumbly to fuzzy with other boosts/dirts in front of it. The Fvck is more capable and has some really cool crackle & poptions that respond well to dynamics. I personally find the Mini to be more versatile. But I do really enjoy what the Fvck is capable of. It's like an overfuzz.

And so it's time TGP brethren, to gather 'round the fire and play some deep, dark, dirty blues.

Here's the score. I have two great fuzzes, one germanium, one silicon for a wide range of all-out fuzz, which is how I like to play them. I have a great low-gain and a great mid-gain overdrive, to cover traditional overdrive tones.

But there's something I'm missing...

As you may have guessed from the title, I need a dirty overdrive with a strong low-end presence. I'm thinking dirty, swampy... think like ZZ Top with maybe a little Black Keys. I'm not trying to sound like either of those, but I want that style of tone.

For my taste, most overdrive pedals, in their rush to pile on the mids, have a weak low-end presence. So they add a tone knob that just gets dull and murky when you roll the tone off, that's not what any really wants. Or they add a bass knob that sort of goes from not much bass at all to this goopy mess, and yeah, we don't want that either.

Or, if they create a sort of fuzz hybrid, the fuzz is harsh and shrill, and we're back to no low end again.

What's the solution, a better EQ section maybe?

For reference, I play mainly a Strat with semi-low output pickups into primarily Fender style amps.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions?

Can you help a TGP brother out?

Cheers,
Danny
OOH! EQD Bellows! I have one for sale on Reverb. It fits exactly what you're looking for.

Demioblue

Silver Supporting Member
A dirty fuzzy overdrive? look no further:

I have this, and it's fantastic. It behaves like an overdrive (dynamics, attack and all) yet sounds like a fuzz.

I mean, it IS called the Little Fuzzy Drive after all.

Daytona57

I have been experimenting, stacking a EQD Hoof into a Red Llama MKII, fuzzy boost, with the option of adding a Red Llama 25th, higher gain fuzz. I am using the Red Llamas to simulate the dual Hudson Broadcast.

This is a fun combination, for electric and slide.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I had forgotten about the Dover Drive, I had one of the first ones years ago. Managed to find one for sale for a reasonable price (because they aren't being made anymore, used prices have skyrocketed). It's the "Old School" version. I've never tried to get EJ's rhythm tone- always his lead tone- so I didn't buy it for that... but I had forgotten it was really more of a fuzz pedal, and bought it to use as a "fuzzy drive" and it's working great for that! The other one I really liked for that was the BOG- what I didn't like about the BOG was, I had to leave the gain cranked, then turn the guitar down to the desired level of fuzz when I stepped on it. Not so with the Dover Drive.

I had been through many fuzzes, for years. Finally decided they just weren't for me... I didn't like having to "control" them, and I never use them at full bombastic wack. I like to step on a drive pedal, guitar on 10, and it does what I want. Fuzzes just took too much tweaking to finally get what I was after... but with the DD, I can set it to sound like a Fuzz on 10 with the guitar backed down. Perfect.

This is the tone I recently re-discovered that put me on the fuzz hunt again:

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I'm surprised this one never got mentioned in this thread... I was THIS CLOSE to ordering one directly from Swart (because I want 9V power jack), when I came across the Dover Drive for a reasonable price.... but this was the one I was going to get.

tigercasual

Gold Supporting Member
I had forgotten about the Dover Drive, I had one of the first ones years ago. Managed to find one for sale for a reasonable price (because they aren't being made anymore, used prices have skyrocketed). It's the "Old School" version. I've never tried to get EJ's rhythm tone- always his lead tone- so I didn't buy it for that... but I had forgotten it was really more of a fuzz pedal, and bought it to use as a "fuzzy drive" and it's working great for that! The other one I really liked for that was the BOG- what I didn't like about the BOG was, I had to leave the gain cranked, then turn the guitar down to the desired level of fuzz when I stepped on it. Not so with the Dover Drive.

I had been through many fuzzes, for years. Finally decided they just weren't for me... I didn't like having to "control" them, and I never use them at full bombastic wack. I like to step on a drive pedal, guitar on 10, and it does what I want. Fuzzes just took too much tweaking to finally get what I was after... but with the DD, I can set it to sound like a Fuzz on 10 with the guitar backed down. Perfect.

This is the tone I recently re-discovered that put me on the fuzz hunt again:

" This is the tone I recently re-discovered that put me on the fuzz hunt again"

Yeah, that's as good as it gets!

HBob

I just ordered a Spaceman Sputnik III for this kind of tone. I really like the OD tones with the fuzz dialed down and the squelchy tones with the second foot switch engaged. Looks/sounds like a lot of fun.

Trending Topics