Looking for a EL34 amp ... suggestions please

bigredhaus

I'm looking for a EL34 amp. I currently have a TopHat King Royale to cover my cleans but I find myself wanting amp overdrive and not pedal overdrive. What are your suggestions for a EL34 amp? I'm in the $1000 - $1500 range new or used / head or combo.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Scott

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Koch Twintone - 50W, awesome crunch channel.

--chiba

glogulus

Silver Supporting Member
What drbob1 said, but in 100w :). And, the 2203x reissue sounds pretty darn good.

GasMask

Take a look at the TopHat Emplexador or one of the Aikens. Germinos rock if you dont need a master.

Matt Gordon

Aiken Sabre. I'm hard to please, believe me, but the Sabre is a killer head. It's a stout 50 watts.

scottyboy

VHT. I bought a Pitbull 50/212 about 8 months ago and I love it. It has el-34s and covers so much territory I can't believe it. The cleans are great to me and the amp can also get metal, palm muted, chunk, the whole works.

Plus, it sounds good at low volumes. Just a stellar amp in my eyes. I am not one to own a bunch of gear and, thankfully, this baby lets me play different styles.

As you can tell, I'm high on this amp.

Best wishes,

Scott

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
DrZ 6545

Lot's of great suggestions from others too!

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Emplexador and a THD Flexi.... love them both, the THD gives you, uh, a lot of flexibility! Do a search for "Flexi" and you'll find some links to clips I've done...

if you do a search for "12ax7 comparison" and you'll find clips of the Emplex...

laurencer83

i think the dr z prescription es is great for a thick overdrive tone. i'm pretty sure it's an el34 head. it kicks major butt! i'm surpsied i haven't heard that much about it from the people here. i love mine!

Laroosco!

Originally posted by laurencer83
i think the dr z prescription es is great for a thick overdrive tone. i'm pretty sure it's an el34 head. it kicks major butt! i'm surpsied i haven't heard that much about it from the people here. i love mine!
The Dr Z Rx uses 4 EL84's

Trending Topics