Looking for a flanger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Liquid_Metal, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

I like to focus on a type of effect and test many pedals with that particular effect in order to find the one that suits me best. Did this for amps, chorus, delay, shimmer, distortion, compressor, etc, and now its time for flanger.
    Been using the TC Electronic G-Major 2 Modern Flanger for some time now but because of routing changes (running it parallel now) the flanger doesn't work properly anymore. So I'm looking for a pedal and this is what I can tell beforehand:
    - Delay time on the TC was very short (like 3 ms); more delay sounds really artificial (like the intro of the clip below)
    - My flanger sounded a bit phaser-like, but with quite some woosh; on clean sounds it sounded more like a chorus than a phaser
    - The classic flange of the Ibanez AF-2 (clip below from 1:38) is the direction I'm looking for.

I haven't found a proper music shop since I moved to a different city but I will definitely try some pedals.

2. therealzeke

therealzeke Member

3. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I prefer the MXR Flangers. The 4 knob variety is very flexible but I went with the 2 knob version. It gets the sounds I want and fits well with my less is more approach to all things tone related

4. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

The A/DA sounds nice but is quite extreme, so I would probably only use its lower settings. Doesn't matter but there might be something nicer then.
    I didn't like the MXR chorus, have no idea how the flanger relates.

5. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

I love my Hartman Flanger! That will never leave my board.

6. therealzeke

therealzeke Member

Yeah the A/DA is quite pretty extreme, maybe the Deluxe Electric Mistress?

7. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

Have listened to a pretty good (Youtube) comparison of the A/DA and Mistress and in these clips my preference is for the prior.

8. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I was in the same position as you, it's weird that a lot of effects makers haven't got a flanger in their lines, even so I spent ages going through everything that's out there. For me it came down to a choice between the Hartman and the MXR-117R, I did love the Hartman, it sounds great and looks even better, but in the end I went with the MXR, it worked better with distortion, which was what I was looking for, if you plan on using it on cleans, or want to replicate Floyd or the Police you could do no better than the Hartman.

9. BoiceBox

BoiceBox Member

You know it doesn't get much love around here as near as I can tell, but I use an MXR EVH flanger. I really like the deep jet engine flange of the EVH setting, and I like that you can bypass that preset with one little button and manually set a subtle flange for chorusing-like effects. I admit I haven't tried many other currently produced flangers, but for what I do with it this one works very well.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The MXR EVH/117 is a great sound. It doesn't do slow super well because there's a flip at the bottom of the sweep, but other than that it'll cover almost anything. The Joyo copy does 95% of it and costs only $40. That said, for only one flanger I'd probably go with the Boss HF2/BF2-they're almost as cheap, sound great and do slow better, although they're a tiny bit less flexible (no "delay" time control).

11. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Ibanez FL99! A great sounding & very versatile flanger. If you don't like it, you can probably sell it for a profit, if you don't pay too much yourself. I paid somewhere in the $90-120 range.

Tony

12. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I got an Ibanez FL9 for $52 new from Guitar Center and I've loved it. It a great sounding box. I've also got the EHX Flanger Hoax and it has a million great sounds in it but dialing it in can take a very long time (but you find yourself discovering tons of cool sounds along the way though). The Line 6 MM4 has two GREAT sounding flanger's in it and can be had for about $100.

13. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

That thing normally costs 160 euros (or more). It does indeed sound like a nice pedal.
    I've contacted a few shops and can test some EHX, MXR and Boss flangers. I don't expect much from the new and cheap boxes of these brands, but it's good just to hear them. I'll take my G-Major 2 along to make the comparison.

14. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I love my Maxon FL9, though I don't have room for it on my board. Expensive -- but great.

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Pedalhacker modded BF2. He sells the kit so you can install the mod yourself if you like. I've gotten rid of choruses and phasers just so I can keep my PH Flanger.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I like the vintage ( not reissue) Ibanez FL9.

I'm a bass player though, I have no idea how it is for a guitar.

17. Liquid_Metal

Liquid_Metal Member

Alright guys, I tested:
    - EHX Electric Neo Mistress: interesting nor tweakable
    - MXR Micro Flanger: same
    - Boss BF-3: quite nice and enough tweakability

People said to look for the Ibanez FL9, because it's "The Boss but better". So I bought one from eBay for 70 euros, and it's an original 80's model.

18. therealzeke

therealzeke Member

Hope the FL9 works out for you!

19. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

The only problem I have with the Mxr 117r is when bypassed, if you listen you can hear a little bit of the flange effect still coming through.

20. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

I don't experience that with my 117r. I gig it at loud amp levels too... possibly just issues with yours?