Looking for a fun super-gained out pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

...just for screwing around the house playing some death metal stuff. It doesn't have to be super awesome boutique tone but the boss metal zone isn't what I'm looking for. Maybe up to $200 or so.

2. ABKB

ABKB Member

If you want fun for super cheap, the Danelectro Fab Tone. Neat little cheap toy with gobs of gain, crank the bass on it and it's a monster.

But there are a million others out there if you want higher end stuff.

3. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

DOD Death Metal?

4. Occam

Occam Member

Yeah I had one of those years ago...it was okay. I'd like to go slightly better.

5. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Find a zoom tri-metal.
    It's dime-a-licious!

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Tonebone Hot British. You may even want to buy an EQ pedal with scooped mids after it.

Phattest death metal sound I've ever heard

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

Check out the Analog Man mooded Boss Metal Zone! :dude

8. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I think, that Line6 Uber Metal has some crazy metal sounds in it. I would take that if I needed to... :)

9. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

If you can find one (as I've heard they are no longer available) look into a Hermida Grinder. Freaking killer. I know Nathan from these boards has one. He may want to chime in with his thoughts (as he's played it a heck of a lot more than I have). I still want one eventually...

10. D.G.

D.G. Member

Tech 21 GT2.

11. stevieray

stevieray Member

Keeley Twilight Zone mod your Metal Zone.

12. marrelero

marrelero Member

I'll second that, fits the bill exactly. It's very metal...

13. Nathan

Nathan Member

Yeah, the Grinder is amazing. I really wanted a boutique high-gain pedal, and that's what I got. One disadvanage: lots of noise but that can be expected with most really high gain units. The Hot British was pretty much fine for most hard rock and (somewhat older sounding) metal. For the brutal death metal thing, I find the Grinder to be superb. It's all in the bass controls. They are pretty hard to find however, because Alfonso Hermida said he wasn't making any more of them for the time being. I personally am pleased as pie to have this thing because it's very original. Nobody in town is likely to have one! And like you mentioned, I use it to mess around at home. It's got lots of sounds, many being old school metal, like the soundclips, but like so many pedals, it sounds best with the gain backed off and volume boosted. REALLY grindy tones, and bring up your volume knob on the guitar to get lead tones! It does a better job for this specific application than the Menatone KOB6, Tonebone Hot Brit, Vox Cooltron Bulldog, SIB Varidrive, etc. The Cooltron was great for way modern nu metal BTW. Hope that helps some!

14. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I'll third that. I have all this boutique stuff, but I keep the Uber Metal around just because it satisfies my gain fix when I'm in one of those moods... :D

15. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I'll fourth it! :) It's cheap (more $$$ for other gear!), sounds good, little/no noise (with gate on), and if you need more gain than the "insane" setting, go see a doctor you sicko!!

I think you can even get a free 9V adapter form Line 6 - has that offer expired yet? I saw it on Musician's Friend.

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Member

check out the Digitech Death Metal Pedal

Digitech have one Metal Master pedal which is quite versatile, u can get death metal as well as 80s metal sound out of it.

However, pure brutal death metal - Digitech Death Metal wins hands down.

I have listened to a friend having AMT Metallizer, i love that sound, but it sounds too bulky, too full, too "valve-y" for death metal.