Looking for a fuzz for the EJ/Woman Tone sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mlkIII, Jul 30, 2019.

1. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

So I know both of these tones def aren’t identical by any means but they are similar to an extent. I am really interested in DanDrive fuzzes and the closest I’ve been able to get to these tones is with a Berkos Third Stone (but never thought the output was enough).

I play through a 64 Fender Deluxe (if venue is big enough, I will run my Clark Beaufort with it) and i have a Lovepedal COT50 on almost all of the time (any time I would be going for this tone live....the COT50 would obviously be on). For guitars I use a Gibson SG and a Tele 99 percent of the time. Would like to stick to silicon fuzzes as I feel they are the less finicky when it comes to power, temperature, and travel.

I don’t really have a budget but don’t think I could ever justify spending more than 400 on a pedal.....but I do love fuzz and if I really loved the pedal, then I could probably go for it.

Any suggestions welcomed, clips are great too.

Thanks!
    Niles

2. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I actually have done demos for both the DanDrive pedals and the Berkos Third Stone II. If you're looking at the DanDrive stuff, the Secret Engine is awesome and fat... I think it would definitely sit in that woman meets EJ tone.

Ryno1331, stonecabin and Hanlon92 like this.
  3. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

Wouldn't that be the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face? Or another BC183 Fuzz Face?

jimijimmyjeffy and BootRoots like this.
  4. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

I have played the EJ FF as well as a silicon EJ and I didn’t dig it so much plus the pedal is massive and I need smaller enclosure....guess it would’ve been helpful to mention that in original post lol sorry.

@tinkercity i thought about messaging you man! Haha, I contacted Dan and he said the equilibrium is a BC183 and that is could possibly be the one. He is actually going to ask EJs tech for me (or at least that’s what he says he’s going to do.....idk him personally but seems like a good dude) and get back to me. Your demos are great! I had the Berkos v1 but it didn’t seem to have enough output for me in a live situation.

tinkercity likes this.
  5. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

Almost any fuzz or distortion pedal with your guitars tone knob rolled back on the neck pickup can get you in the woman tone ballpark

6. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

For sure, but key word in your reply is ballpark. I am mainly looking for a fuzz that has enough output for a live show. The Berkos v1 could nail the tone but the output was what I needed it to be. I would like to find something similar with a smaller footprint for my board.

7. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I love this pedal with the mids at minimum scoop and about full LED for just this: [​IMG]

8. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

fulltone 70's can get that tone imo.

mlkIII likes this.
  9. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Then most EJ violin tone is the trusty Butler Tube Driver or the Xotic AC Booster. They may sound a lot like fuzzes but are technically not.

71strat and Teleman76 like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Joe shows a 'woman tone' method in here, is it the woman tone you are seeking? Or does she sound radically different? An approach more than a specific pedal.

Crimson Queen likes this.
  11. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

Yeah man, that’s def what I am thinking. I can get there for the most part with what I have but I want a fuzz to enhance it for leads. I think the right fuzz is a big part of it for leads.

The tweed has a lot to do with Joes tone in that vid and obviously his tone knob on the LP. The tone knob may be the biggest part of the equation, which is basically what someone said above. I constantly ride my volume and tone knob throughout the gig. It’s amazing what you can do when you have your amp at the right volume and use your guitars vol and tone knobs for tone sculpting vs using a million pedals (although I use probably 5-10 pedals every gig....lol).

I believe I am going to try out the Equilibrium from DanDrive or may jump on the Veritas from Dan in the emporium. It’s a high dollar fuzz, but when I opened for JD Simo earlier this year, he had just gotten his DanDrive Secret Weapon and it was insane. Cleaned up extremely well and never got lost in the mix. Granite he’s playing in a trio, so not a huge mix to be lost in but man it sounded killer. A lot has to do with the player as well but I think the two drawbacks from my old Berkos Third Stone was not quite enough output and was a little dark. But with that being said, it was a v1 and I haven’t tried the v2 and everything else about the pedal really ruled. If you had a switched on your board that could turn on multiple pedals at once, you could wire it to turn on a Boost with the Berkos and get past the output problem there.....but when you pay 300+ for a pedal, I think it should be con free.

12. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

First off, awesome picture! Secondly, I have used the Butler a decent amount and I didn’t come as close to the violin tone as I did with my COT+Berkos combo. I like the AC Booster, but I also didn’t think it did the Violin thing. I thought the BB Preamp was better than the AC for that sound. That’s just my experience with it though.

I am really trying to go for a more old school approach. I know that will seem dumb to a lot of people but I don’t think a do it all pedal (Dover Drive, Animal from J Rockett, etc) cleans up anywhere near as well as the COT+Fuzz combo or a Marshall or Tweed style amp that is at least on the edge of breakup (for me usually slightly broken up with singles and great rhythm crunch with buckers).

But if you just wanted the violin song for a cover in a set (like Cliffs of Dover or something you don’t need clean for in that particular song) then without a doubt the Dover Drive, Animal, AC, or Butler would be great for that. I just don’t think they clean up like the old school setup does.

13. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Mad Professor Golden Cello or Amber Drive

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Woman tone and EJ tone don't sound much alike to me, starting with that Les Paul vs Strat thing. There's all sorts of ways to get that sort of smoothness, but it seems more like finding a personal voice than getting something that tastes like both bacon and cake.

GeorgeNada likes this.
  15. mlkIII

mlkIII Supporting Member

Personal voice for sure. Nobody is going to sound just like EJ or Clapton but they are much more similar than you may think. Especially if you listen to EJ live early in his career. Plus he used a 335 for the most popular example of his violin tone (Cliffs).

@Bucksears yeah man! Golden Cello rules. I never used the delay but I did dig the pedal a ton.

16. music321

music321 Member

How about the Analogman "Sunface". It's essentially a germanium Fuzzface that can be adjusted to overcome the vagaries of germanium transistors.

mlkIII likes this.
  17. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Hermida Dover Drive

jpagey and mlkIII like this.
  18. blues

blues Supporting Member

Here you go

might even be a Clapton lick or two in the video

on the verge of fuzz

AceBSpankin likes this.
  19. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

I'd check out the Way Huge Havalina. He mentions the EC woman tone in the video:

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  20. 71strat

71strat Member

Analogman BC183. DONE. For EJ. Also Butler Tube Driver.

Woman tone needs a Marshall JTM45-45/100, and a Les Paul/or SG. No pedals for that.

mlkIII likes this.