Looking for a good cheap multi-effect. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Monkey23, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

I'm looking for a good multi-effect unit for around $150 (definately under $200). I really need it for some quick but listeneable reverb and delay. Some chorus would be nice too but for the amount of time that I'm actually going to be using these effects, it would break my heart to buy a dedicated pedal for each.
    I know the names (Boss, Digitech, Korg, Zoom) but I don't know each and every product. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Basically I'm looking for something that sounds good, isn't a tone sucker when in use (or not), and is somewhat adjustable.
    Also, I don't need it for distortion/overdrive/amp simulations so if you know of something that is decent but sucks when it comes to distortion/amp modelling, please still suggest it. Thanks

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I have a Korg AX30G I'll sell you for $75 shipped- It'll give you anything you want- these are the delays and reverb it has: Modulation Delay, Stereo Modulation Delay, Sweep Modulation Delay, Stereo Delay, Cross Delay, tap Temp Delay, Hold Delay, Reverb + tons more....all fully tweekable and assignable-

check out review:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Korg/AX30G/10/1

4. g-nem

g-nem Member

I have a magicstomp and while it has great delay patches, no tap tempo and the fact that the reverb only has a mix control which turns your dry signal down as soon as you mix reverb in keep it from being what you are looking for. The Zoom G2 series has been getting good press.

In my opinion, for $150 you can get a used holy grail and a decent cheap delay like a ibanez de7. Or just get a boss dd-20- that's a delay pedal that'll really stick with you. It's REAL hard to get a decent cheap verb pedal.

5. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

Concerning the Magicstomp: This is not the first time I've heard this brought up in my quest for the ideal cheap multi-effect. What is it that you like about it exactly?

Concerning the Zoom G2: I've tried this unit. Unfortunatlely I was concentrating on the distortion/amp modeller part at the time and can't remember the efffects. Might be worth rechecking. How is it going straight into the amp with the amp modelling bypassed?

Concerning the Korg AG30: I dunno, seems a little dated, no? I'm interested though.

Also, was noticing these new Digitech RP 150, 250, and 350. Anybody know anything about them? How do the old RP's sound. The price is right, maybe the product isn't?

6. i2K92

i2K92 Member

For me, Magicstomp is the most complete multifx. IMHO, the delay is the best, complete filters, 4 band full parametric EQ, great acoustic simulator, etc. But this fx is not easy to setup as it has only 3 knobs with tons of parameters behind. This is an fx for tweakers, if you like a set & go fx, this is not for you.
    If you can get MSII version 2.1 you'll also get the FXs from EB stomp (bass) and MS acoustic.

7. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Another vote for the Magicstomp. The delay and reverb sounds are really top-notch, and not multi-fx-y at all (if that makes sense). I never cared much for the amp models, but the effects themselves were really quite good.

8. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

So far Magicstomp is something I'm going to want to try out. Any other suggestions?

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'll +1 the magicstomp. I've heard nothing but praise for it.

Concerning the Boss DD-20, you should check it out. I can get a million awesome delays, good reverb-like delays (using analog simulator and quick repeats), and even a great chorus sound outta it (though I can't do chorus and delay simultaneously). The setting for the chorus sound is in the "sample settings" thing in the back of the manual