Looking for a good compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moodog, Dec 6, 2005.

1. moodog

moodog Member

I have some experience with the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. I really like the fast attack/release on it. Is there any real advantage to have a longer release (like a Dynacomp)?
    The reason I ask is when I look at the guitar as an instrument and I look at a preferred setting on a studio compressor I see an instrument that needs a faster attack and a faster release to level out its volume. Of course you have to set the threshold accordingly.
    So if I were to get a Ross or Dynacomp what would be the big advantages over an Orange Squeezer?

2. drolling

drolling Member

On another thread we were just discussing how the 'attack' knob on most compressors just f**ks up your sound if it's not set just right. That's why I haven't moved the one on my Boss CS-2 since I dialed it in decades ago. Same for the 'sensitivity' knob on my old DynaComp.

The best I've used yet is the Diamond. With controls for comp, EQ and volume, it's not a knob twiddler's dream, just a dam good sounding compressor.

3. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Couple of thoughts: first, we don't necessarily use the pedals for the same purposes as line-level units. The desirability of "breathing" compression from a pedal is partly driven by nostalgia for the sound of old Beatles/Byrds/etc. albums (or 70s rock & country records featuring guitar parts cut with DynaComps), rather than by a search for relatively transparent peak limiting to seat the signal in a mix.

Second, a longer release strengthens apparent bass response from a set of pickups which might be lacking relative to other instruments. If you've ever played an ultra-bright late 60s or 70s Telecaster through a Fender reverb combo, and then heard it next to electric bass, steel guitar or a decent Gibson with humbuckers, you understand why the old DynaComps were so popular 30yrs ago despite their limitations.

One other thing: you know that the Ross is a modified version of the MXR circuit, right? There's a modification of the Ross available, too: the Way Huge Saffron. A different opamp & it adds a few caps to alter the ramp of the ratio in favor of less compression artifacts at lower settings. The originals are very expensive now, but Analogman makes an exact clone for the same price as his Ross comp. I think it's the best of its type, and offers lower s:n than the couple of Orange Squeezer clones I've tried.

4. granite

granite Member

Sounds like you would like an Analogman Bicomp. Ross/Juicer in one box. I personally like the mini version better. The full size version has a LONG waiting list.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

for ross comp clones, you can't do better than a retrosonic compressor. Just like a ross but with less noise!

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I plan on using my Analogman CompROSSor a lot... After wah (and future phase/vibe/trem/envelopefilter), one side of the chain gets the boost and dirt pedals (maybe a tonefactor squeeze factor orange juicer clone), the other side will go into the CompROSSor...

The clean side will probably have the attack delay most of the way down and will be frequently run through an extra effects loop with an E-H POG and Walco Chord & Note Sustainer run through a Champ II driving a Leslie cabinet for organ tones... Even through the Carmen Ghia, it will sound great. Great pedal all around, IMHO.

7. mustangman

mustangman Member

if you like the orange squeezer, the Analogman Juicer is an awesome pedal.
    i love mine.

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I'd at least check out the Diamond Comp and the Tone Press, but essentially if you like the OS type, stick with the OS type, compression is compression it's individual, if it ain't broke.......

9. moodog

moodog Member

Weren't those old recordings (Beatles, Byrds, etc.) done with outboard studio gear?
    From my studio experience that "breathing"/"pumping" sound is achived via a short attack/short release with a mild to tight threshold. Would that not be closer to a Orange Squeezer's short attack/short release?

10. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Sure, and very likely all-tube, too. My point was that the MXR (and its derivatives) was designed to simulate the characteristics of that equipment, which just weren't capable of being as transparent as the pro-grade units from the past 20yrs.

Yes to the short attack and the low/tight threshold, maybe to the short release. Depends on what "short" is relative to the sustain of peak resonant frequencies in the input signal, right? And if we're talking about the differences between, say, Dano lipsticks and Gibson T-tops... The MXRish boxes can be dialed in for a lower threshold than the stock OS circuit, producing more "squash" and sustained lows (at the expense of s:n, but that's true of a modified OS, too). Also, a quality MXR derivative should be able to produce at least twice the clean amplification after compression- the OS only does about +8db iirc.

The secret of the OS, to my ears, is that despite the fact that it's not as flexible as, say, the Saffron, it's "tuned in" to produce the kind of compression we'd expect from an amp with a tube rectifier, just as that amp is hitting its clean headroom ceiling.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

+1 for the Analogman Bi-comp. Peerless. :dude

12. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Just my own personal opinion but the BJF Pale Green Compressor is the fastest & most musical compressor you can buy today. Just ask FrankenStrat2, Brewbeck, PlexiBreath, rh, Nickcha, JTMSuperlead, Tomo Fujita (and a host of others who heard it in action at the Tampa ToneFest). They all use them now and sold whatever comps they were using shortly after they took delivery of the PGC. Nolo contendre here my friends!:) Besides, it's also dead quiet too. And to think I used to LOVE that Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer the most....:dude

13. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Take a look at the Tonefactor Squeeze factor. Looks like a good one.

14. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I am going to be in receipt of a Janglebox by the weekend, I will post my findings. M.E.

15. Rick0

Rick0 Member

I own a 70's script logo MXR DynaComp, Demeter Compulator, Barber Tone Press, Analog Man BiComp, Keeley compressor and a couple more that I don't care to mention. Although they are all very good, the Analog Man and the Keeley are the finest stomp box compressors out there in my opinion. I love the character of the BiComp and the transparency of the Keeley. The Bicomp has a fantastic Orange Squeezer mode along with the best Ross compressor imaginable.

RickO

16. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i've been using an original orange squeezer for many years & it's hard to beat in my book, but i just bought a carl martin compressor after reading that rusty anderson (paul mccartney's band) uses one and i'm liking it a lot.

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

I wish I kept my Orange Squeezer!

But I own my BJF's SBC(same as PGC with Sea blue color).
    I am all set about compressor. I just did use my SBC for session
    last night(Counrty rock)... volume swell like narutal lapsteel.

Tomo

18. moodog

moodog Member

So your saying that you like both the Orange Squeezer and the Ross Compressor?

The Keeley is a Ross Compressor clone and the BiComp is both a Ross and an Orange Squeezer.

19. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

And I agree with Rick - I am digging both the Keeley and the Analogman Bi-Comp (I have the mini version). IMHO, for guitar, there is no better in the end.

Another nice thing is that both the Keeley and the AM are both fairly quiet for compressors. That says a LOT. By their nature, compressors get louder as you get quieter making any noise before the compressor louder.

20. drolling

drolling Member

Cool pedal, but not your average compressor. The bright switch kicks in a preset treble boost that'll practically rip your head off if you're using, say, the bridge p-up of a telecaster. Thing excells at goosing the front end of an OD pedal, but as a single coil user, there was just too much 'jangle' in that box for me. Probably a very different story w/humbuckers, tho'...