Looking for a good Fender Clean amp...

scottpic

Friends,

I'm looking for a good clean amp as a pedal platform. Thinking Fender.
I'm thinking around 30 watts or so. Something like a 1X12 combo.

I have had a Twin Reverb, (Too heavy for me to move).
Had a Hot Rod Deluxe. Hated the gain channel on it. Even clean channel with OD and gain pedals, it was farting out. I just did not like the tone.

So what would you recommend to me as a good/great clean pedal platform.

Thanks.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure what your budget is, but I own and love a Vintage Sound 35. This is a hand wired two 6L6 35 watt blackface Vibrolux Reverb circuit in a deluxe sized cab with a 1x12 speaker and weighs maybe 40 pounds. The trem can be switched in or out of the circuit from the front panel, has reverb dwell on the back, the normal channel has trem and reverb tied to it and is voiced for more gain so you really have 2 different and useable tones on tap. It's a beautiful and very versatile amp IMO.

A slightly less expensive option and one that will likely hold it's value better would be to run down a healthy silverface Vibrolux Reverb and either love the stock 2x10 configuration or convert it to a 1x12 baffle.

Third option would be to try out one of the new 68 reissues from Fender - either the 22 watt Deluxe or the 35 watt Vibrolux Reverb.

Regardless I think you'll find this 35 watt fender circuit loud and clean enough for most things without breaking your back.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
If you're looking for a 1X12 go for a Deluxe Reverb. They aren't 30 watts but may be enough for you (not sure if you're looking for something to use in a band setting).

I don't own a DR but I have a SFVR (which is a 35 watts) and it takes OD pedals well. Mainly I use a Analogman modded TS808 RI with it. Sounds great.

jondom22

u know the main problem with hot rod deluxes is that the stock speaker sounds like crap, especially with fuzz/od. otherwise its a great slunding amp, can be had for cheap used, and if you throw in a better speaker it would be a good fit for you. I personally like V30s in fenders (helps boost the mids, sounds great with fuzz/od and clean...though it will break up earlier than a jensen style speaker). other people like canibis rex, weber 12f150, cremback h75, and some like jbl or ev 12L but i find those sound bad with high gain.

ive owned a couple of hot rod deluxes, and curently own a sf deluxe reverb and a knockoff twin reverb head/cab. both have V30s. if i needed a smaller amp for blues/standard rock gigs with a medium dynamic drummer, i wouldnt hesitate to but another hot rod deluxe.

might also wanna check out a peavey classic 30.

joeprs

Not sure what your budget is, but I own and love a Vintage Sound 35. This is a hand wired two 6L6 35 watt blackface Vibrolux Reverb circuit in a deluxe sized cab with a 1x12 speaker and weighs maybe 40 pounds. The trem can be switched in or out of the circuit from the front panel, has reverb dwell on the back, the normal channel has trem and reverb tied to it and is voiced for more gain so you really have 2 different and useable tones on tap. It's a beautiful and very versatile amp IMO.

A slightly less expensive option and one that will likely hold it's value better would be to run down a healthy silverface Vibrolux Reverb and either love the stock 2x10 configuration or convert it to a 1x12 baffle.

Third option would be to try out one of the new 68 reissues from Fender - either the 22 watt Deluxe or the 35 watt Vibrolux Reverb.

Regardless I think you'll find this 35 watt fender circuit loud and clean enough for most things without breaking your back.
Definitely check out their website: http://vintagesoundamps.com/
I have a V20 head on order, should be here in the next few weeks. Rick was great to deal with, very helpful. When you buy a VS, you're basically getting a '60's Fender, only it's brand new, ptp wiring, and better components.

murraythek

Nab a silver face deluxe reverb. If you don't like it you won't take much of a hit on resale.

kwaping

Guitar payer
Those requirements are screaming "Deluxe Reverb". It's the obvious choice.

JDW3

New '68 Deluxe Reverb or '68 Princeton Reverb would do nicely. Sound great in the store.

Friends,

Had a Hot Rod Deluxe. Hated the gain channel on it. Even clean channel with OD and gain pedals, it was farting out. I just did not like the tone.

Thanks.

talbotpat

I went with a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue with the Jensen alnico (P12Q) speaker. Fabulous amp...really great tube reverb and vibrato, and spanky clean Fender tone...great clean slate for pedals. 22W amp, you can go get a Twin or a Vibrolux if you require more oomph, but the deluxe is an outstanding amp in a 1x12 combo.

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
A tone king sky king would be my 1st choice, but they ain't cheap

Steve73

Allen Accomplice can be 1x12 if you want and it's 35 watts with 6l6's or 22 watts with 6v6's. Great blackface cleans!! I AB'ed it against a '66 Princeton Reverb and much preferred the Allen.

mesa/kramer

Friends,

Thanks.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Allen Accomplice can be 1x12 if you want and it's 35 watts with 6l6's or 22 watts with 6v6's. Great blackface cleans!! I AB'ed it against a '66 Princeton Reverb and much preferred the Allen.
And there is one in the Emporium...

JKjr

Carr Rambler
Pricey but perfect.:)

Lot's of great options, here's one from left field: Jim Price at Omega Amps can totally transform your HRD for light dough. Pristine sparkly cleans and a kickin' fat drive channel. I DISLIKE these amps in stock form for the same reasons you stated. I played a modded one and couldn't believe it was the same amp.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
ill add another nod to the carr rambler. kinda pricey but you would never regret the purchase...only thank yourself, forever.

Trending Topics